Plastidipped my wheels

RobPhoboS

So I wanted a darker, matte anthracite finish to my wheels, similar to what GT3's have as an option on their cars.

I thought I'd try plastidip in this instance, partly as I thought well, if I don't like the colour I can just pull it off and try another shade, and also due to less prep work compared to painting.

I used the proper US plastidip as the EU stuff isn't as good.

4 x coats of matte black (4 cans apx - order a couple more if you want to get the rear of the wheel)

2 x coats of thundercloud silver (2 cans)

So to start with, a bit of kerb rash on some wheels, and in need of a total strip down refurb if being honest. I just cleaned them up as best as I could and dried them out.

IMAG0799_zpssyo3e8d6.jpg

IMAG0798_zpsqbo13bh2.jpg

Part way through on the matte black:

IMAG0804_zpsvejejf17.jpg

IMAG0803_zpspzmh7z65.jpg

Coating of thundercloud:

IMAG0809_zpsiwucdtyv.jpg

2 x coats of thundercloud:

IMAG0812_zpsif0ksttt.jpg

Although I didn't, I'd advise flattening down any chips/rash as it's still visible otherwise.

I wasn't bothered about a perfect finish but irrespective of that, I think they've turned out quite nice.

IMAG0815_zpskssq4rgi.jpg

We'll see how long they last, and I need to order a bit more (+ the thinner to do repairs) to do the door handles etc

• Like 4

My experience is varied with plastidip to be honest. We did a grill on Chris's M3 and its perfect a year on.

Couple of high traffic interior handles were peeling a few months later.

Cracking job though. Looks good

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Cheers guys.

Yep, it's the longevity which I'm certainly curious about. I guess if I really like the colour, then it'll possibly make sense to get them powder coated.

It's pretty amazing stuff though, soo much can be done with it.

That's a pretty good finish you've managed

I did the wheels on my shed last year. Just the lip not the whole wheel. Rushed through it- 3 coats within an hour lol (was only keeping the car for a few months)

From a distance it was fine but it shows how well you can do it if you take your time

If they start looking a bit rough over a while, I'll use the recommended thinner and just sand/smooth down some of the bumps/damage/rash and build up the plastidip again.

Funnily enough the first image makes the original colour look really nice but there's ZERO way I can keep them THAT clean :lol:

Partly why I wanted a dark matte finish, blends with the brake dust ;)

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but thinking of doing my wheels using plastidip.

do you still have these or if not, how long did they last and what was the up keep on them?? totally agree with the 'blend in with the brake dust' comment, only had my Z for a few weeks and the wheels have been cleaned almost as much as my own teeth :p

Haha.

Yes I'm still using them as they were, no flaking or any problems except for where I touched a kerb, so I'll need to blend in a little to cover that up soon.

Otherwise, I'm hugely impressed with how well they have lasted.

I'll get some proper photo's on the weekend.

if you could that would be great!

been searching the forum and only seem to be finding people with bad experiences using it but it seems to get excellent reviews other places where I look, especially in recent months...

Problems seem to be mostly issues due to bad cleaning prep, which is leading to the lacquer being peeled off when its removed or being a pain to remove as it's not being put on thick enough, and it comes off in small pieces rather than the classic peel,

Just out of curiosity (and if you can remember lol) did you remove the wheels and do the inner hub as well or just bag the brakes up and spray from the front with the wheels still on?

gone through so many threads I must have forgot who I was talking too lmao!

and cheers for the link, a good few quid cheaper than what I was looking at on Amazon as well only issue is settling on colour now.... first world problems eh ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I wanted a darker, matte anthracite finish to my wheels, similar to what GT3's have as an option on their cars.

I thought I'd try plastidip in this instance, partly as I thought well, if I don't like the colour I can just pull it off and try another shade, and also due to less prep work compared to painting.

I used the proper US plastidip as the EU stuff isn't as good.

4 x coats of matte black (4 cans apx - order a couple more if you want to get the rear of the wheel)

2 x coats of thundercloud silver (2 cans)

So to start with, a bit of kerb rash on some wheels, and in need of a total strip down refurb if being honest. I just cleaned them up as best as I could and dried them out.

IMAG0799_zpssyo3e8d6.jpg

IMAG0798_zpsqbo13bh2.jpg

Part way through on the matte black:

IMAG0804_zpsvejejf17.jpg

IMAG0803_zpspzmh7z65.jpg

Coating of thundercloud:

IMAG0809_zpsiwucdtyv.jpg

2 x coats of thundercloud:

IMAG0812_zpsif0ksttt.jpg

Although I didn't, I'd advise flattening down any chips/rash as it's still visible otherwise.

I wasn't bothered about a perfect finish but irrespective of that, I think they've turned out quite nice.

IMAG0815_zpskssq4rgi.jpg

We'll see how long they last, and I need to order a bit more (+ the thinner to do repairs) to do the door handles etc

Hyde what spoiler is that?