Odometer amnesia

Following my MOT renewal , it appears my main Odometer stopped recording for all but 60 miles since last MOT !

I never look at that one and it's all working now, only noticed it because I read the MOT history list to see what last years total was .

Speedo is fine and no other symptoms of any kind .

I only do between 3 and 6 thousand a year in the Z.

Any bright ideas anyone ?

Does the ECU record mileage and will it show on a scanner ?

Welcome along :)

My first question would be are you 100% sure that last year's MOT reading was correct? I'd suspect that a fat finger typing that in is much more likely than the main odometer not working correctly. Easy to test too, just go for a drive and see if it moves.

Edited by Ekona

Yes to checking both of those !

I keep petrol receipts and they match the 2013-14 mileage as near as poss . It's the 2014-15 that's missing . Havn't done a total fuel check yet but it's quite low , prob around 3 thousand .

I assume the main recording is stored on the speedo , but does the ECU also keep a separate record.?

As I say , it's working fine now and since the MOT , just the total for a year of 60 miles ! Unfortunately , I never look at or record the total anywhere else .

My Twin Turbo had a speedo prob but that showed up on the speedo dial too of course .

In that case, I have no idea! :lol:

Pretty sure the mileage is kept on the ECU as well on the 350, so swapping clusters wouldn't help. If it's working now then I'm not sure what can be done, the only thing you can do is keep a note of the mileages and explain the issue should anyone ask when you come to sell it.

In that case, I have no idea! :lol:

Pretty sure the mileage is kept on the ECU as well on the 350, so swapping clusters wouldn't help. If it's working now then I'm not sure what can be done, the only thing you can do is keep a note of the mileages and explain the issue should anyone ask when you come to sell it.

Mileage Is kept on the clusters :)

Ah, I thought it wasn't, I must be confusing cars :thumbs:

Not that that will help mind, it's out regardless so really nothing that can be done unless you find a cluster that has more or less the same miles on and swap.