Vinyl Wrapping you engine bay?

zebedy

Im going to be doing my engine dress up before long, just a few bits n bobs to get. I was looking at the paint job inside the engine bay and its basically crap !!

Dull or no Laquer etc etc. Anyway......do you think wrapping most of the panels inside is doable, not regards to application but whether or not it will withstand the heat?? My bonnet will be vented too before long which would help. Ive seen loads of cars been done this way in shows and dont know if they were everyday runners?

Any opinions on this??

I had my engine cover wrapped and within a few months it was bubbling - the heat generated by that lump in a tightly packed engine bay is significant!

I then did the correct thing and bought a proper CF cover.

David

Wallpaper it. Choose to be different.

Yep that hairy stuff you get in Tandoori restaurants !

My paintwork was pretty crap but after a good clean now looking presentable might just be time encrusted grime ?

Been there and tried it buddy, it just won't last that long.

When you apply a wrap you warm it to stretch and you apply it to the surface where it cools and it then holds that shape. Vinyl has memory so it heats up again it tries to return to its original state which is what would pull it away, peel and bubble

I'm going to go against the grain here a bit (flame suit on)

I've wrapped various parts in my engine bay and all are upholding really well, with no blistering or peeling.

The parts I've wrapped are: Front (Rickdon) slam panel, JWT popcharger heatsheild, top of radiator shroud (beneath the hose) and the strut brace. I appreciate none are in DIRECT contact with any parts giving out significant heat, but the strut brace is directly above (and close to) the engine and does get pretty darn warm.

These were/are all relatively easy DIY jobs though and if they did peel or blister, could easily be removed and/or re-done.

If you're thinking of wrapping the bay as a job in itself, I'd take the advice of the professionals above and ignore mine.

EDIT: Each of the above items I've wrapped is a flat surface. The most 'unflat' (is that even a word?) is the strutbrace. Trying to get wrap to stay stuck to an uneven surface, when re-introducing heat would be like p****** into the wind :lol:

Edited by 14N

Yes thought as much. Not so much on components as Im painting these, but more so on the actual body itself I was asking. But I get the general consensus that It can be done but would need replacing every month or so. And yes you can wrap your strut bar as mine is nearly a year old and is still like new.

thanks