My old 350z on eBay. . . Being sold as not Cat C

Easty

Wow been a while, or about 18month since I last saw her but jut found my old baby on eBay. . .

Just making people awear she got wrote off and is a Cat C,

Maybe the new owner doesn't know this but iv messaged him to let him know and also with the photos to back it up!!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291467658780&globalID=EBAY-GB

Edited by Easty

There is no law to say anyone has to declare a catergory write off in an advert, unless directly asked.

A good heads up though :)

They clearly state in the ad that it's "HPI clear, no outstanding finance or damage recorded."

So they either haven't done an HPI check for themselves and are trying to pretend that they have... or they have done an HPI check and are trying to pretend that all is well so a prospective buyer won't bother with one...!!

Either way, they seem dodgy as hell.

I decided to send the seller a message about this, and here's the response I got:

Hi mate, I have done two HPI checks on the vehicle and both show it as being clear. I also have the logbook which is clear as with a CAT C car it states it on the book

Well looks like it was never registered via the insurance after me asking them if it was. . . I even tried re insuring it after my crash with a different company and they said it was a cat C. . .

My insurance told me it was registered as a cat C too but my mate has just done a HPI check and it comes back clear, totally pissing me off because I sold it for **** all as it was a cat!!

I would of kept it and fixed it if I knew it wasn't recorded!!!

Did you have a private plate on the car when it was a CAT C?

That may be why it has come up with 'some' details on the the HPI check. A mate bought a e39 540i years ago and it had a similar thing, but a private plate that was on the vehicle previously had been a write off on 1 car and finance repossession on another car, but the 540i was all good.

That may be why it has come up with 'some' details on the the HPI check. A mate bought a e39 540i years ago and it had a similar thing, but a private plate that was on the vehicle previously had been a write off on 1 car and finance repossession on another car, but the 540i was all good.

That's a good point, hadn't even thought of that!!

Ye I had my private plate on her at the time!!

That's a good point, hadn't even thought of that!!

Ye I had my private plate on her at the time!!

HPI checks are not infallible. They're a good guide, and certainly very helpful, but ultimately it's just one of a few checks a potential buyer can/should do.

Just because a car was Cat A-D doesn't mean it's a death trap. Yes it will negatively affect values, but how many cars out there that get damaged to the point where they would be a Cat C, are then repaired to a very high standard by their owner? Most people would find nothing wrong with that.

In short, don't assume that because a HPI check is clear that the car is perfect.

I think this is going to get even more complicated.

Our 350 was DY09FCA, my wife put her plate on it soon after. When she 'gave' it me I put my plate on it.

I have just taken my plate off, and it was given a totally different 09 plate.

The original was still available though.

The HPI check Nissan did showed all three plates against our car though.

Cat C explained. Could it be possible that the log book wasn't returned to the DVLA ? Or that the DVLA have simply cocked up?

]Category C [/b] Repairable salvage. Usually applies to vehicles with significant damage and where the cost of repairs exceeds the book value. It can be sold for repair but must have VIC(Vehicle Identity Check) inspection before returning to the road. V5 documents are returned to DVLA and recorded as category C vehicles. You can re-apply for registration on the original identity once the VIC inspection has been done. VIC inspection and re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at the DVLA and so will appear on a vehicle data check.

What is a Vehicle Identity Check and how does it work?(taken from the VOSA's site) The Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) has been introduced to help reduce car crime. It is intended to deter criminals from disguising stolen cars with the identity of written off ones. When an insurance company ‘writes off’ a car, (Category A, B or C) they notify DVLA and a VIC marker is placed on the DVLA record. DVLA will not issue a Registration Certificate (V5C) or a Vehicle Licence Reminder (V11) to a car with a VIC marker against it. In order to remove the VIC marker the car needs to be inspected by VOSA to confirm its identity. When the car passes the VIC, the marker is removed. The VIC will be carried out by VOSA. It will involve comparing the car against information held by DVLA, such as the vehicle identification number, make, model, colour and engine number. The VIC will also compare the record of previous accident damage with evidence of damage repair as well as checking other components to confirm the age and identity of the car.

Will the VIC confirm that the vehicle is roadworthy? No. The VIC is designed to confirm the identity of the car and does not assess the quality of the repair. You should seek independent expert opinion as to whether the car is roadworthy. If whilst carrying out the check the inspector notices a serious defect which would make the car dangerous to drive, then they will issue a notice which prohibits the car being used. Once it has been made roadworthy the prohibition can be removed.

Pete

• Like 1

I took a look at the add again. If you scroll down you can see that the seller has some followers (guys whom keep a close eye on what he sells alot of)

One such member is A1salvage2014. Coincidence??? Both go together if you ask me