Do red cars still fade?

twobears

I know the pigments used in paint back in the day was different to today's paint so I googled it to see what I could find out....

Pre-1980s cars used heavy metal (cadmium) based paints which lastest really well but were banned due to toxicity. However, Japan kept using them for a few years after everyone else stopped.

In the 1980s and 1990s European car manufacturers used fugitive organic reds which were basically rubbish.

In the late 1990s Ciba developed a new lightfast red which everyone has been using ever since. It's almost as good as the old cadmium reds and a lot less toxic. So new red cars should be OK unless left in equatorial sun for years.

;)

Thank you everyone :) I know from Googling that newer cars aren't meant to fade but I saw a 2004 plate in red today and it was definitely faded or at least its bonnet looked lighter than the rest of the bodywork. I suppose it could have had a different bonnet fitted or maybe it actually had faded? Couldn't really stop and ask the driver as we were going round a roundabout at the time.

Still love Stanley and now that my daughter has left home and taken Fiona (her Fiesta) with her, Stanley has taken up residence under my version of the "Zed Shed". Can't bring myself to call it anything else as I still miss Mr Zedders. I only have him on a two year contract though - expires in September - and the car I have my eye on currently has a year's waiting time so I am trying to make a decision, hence the colour query as the potential new car does come in blue (my preferred colour for cars normally) but it's not a very exciting blue and the two reds on offer look quite appealing :dry:

My Renault Clio of 2004 vintage had faded quite a bit. Had "L" plates on it for a couple of years when my daughter was learning to drive and when removed you could see the difference quite clearly and no amount of polish would make any difference. There was a Chilli Red 350Z I used to see almost every day that had faded quite badly too, however I don't think it was cleaned that often :) .

Pete

...the car I have my eye on currently has a year's waiting time so I am trying to make a decision, hence the colour query as the potential new car does come in blue (my preferred colour for cars normally) but it's not a very exciting blue and the two reds on offer look quite appealing :dry:

I wouldn't worry about it and I'd just get the red colour car if that's what you really prefer. ;)

I've had two red cars which were both faded but, ....one was a 1992 Rover 214Si and the other a 2003 Honda Civic Type R. Neither of which are really modern cars imo as even the newer of the two is over 12 years old now and neither of them were bought new.

I'd wager half the problem being the way the previous owners look after the cars.

I know you like your cars twobears so I'm sure you'd wash it regularly, keep it garaged when possible and generally look after it.

I wash my car weekly without fail and also wax the car regularly so if I'd have owned either of the two red cars I've owned from new neither would have been faded half as bad as they were when they came into my ownership imo. :thumbs:

All paint colours will fade to some degree with UV exposure, its just a case of some colours and pigments being more susceptible than others, as said pigments have come on a lot with recent paint development, so the amount of fade is far less than of older paint technologies.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Thanks everyone :)

Not a Vauxhall fan so definitely won't be getting one of those, red or otherwise :wacko:

GM, you are right that I love my cars and want the best for them but I am very lazy when it comes to cleaning them :blush: Luckily, MrTwoBears enjoys wielding the clay bar etc :lol:

Thanks everyone :)

Not a Vauxhall fan so definitely won't be getting one of those, red or otherwise :wacko:

GM, you are right that I love my cars and want the best for them but I am very lazy when it comes to cleaning them :blush: Luckily, MrTwoBears enjoys wielding the clay bar etc :lol:

My 2002 red vauxhall looked alright ;)

IMG_9478_Snapseed_zps6441f428.jpg

Edited by coldel

If you do get a red car as long as someone gives it a good wash & detail then it's all good, ...just make sure you flutter your eyelashes at MrTwoBears regularly then to keep that red paint work looking at it's best. :D;)

• Like 1

Well my Celica has been repainted at some point...can I safely assume that lovely new coat of paint wont fade as long as it was done in say the last 10 years? (given the previous comments about new paint not fading?)

Well my Celica has been repainted at some point...can I safely assume that lovely new coat of paint wont fade as long as it was done in say the last 10 years? (given the previous comments about new paint not fading?)

my 2006 octavia is blood pink yet my mazda of the same year was blood red