Morego Focus ST...

red or zed

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the picture quality and the non-cleanliness of the car, but this is the zed's replacement...

focusST.jpg

As you can see, its running slightly lower than std on Morego's suspension kit, and, engine wise its got the following:

- Miltek cat back system

- Hi-flow sports cats

- ECU remap

- Airbox "tweak" to assist airflow

Supposed to be running at 290hp with over 300lbft of torque. Butt dyno suggests she is a little quicker than the zed but obviously the turbo helps here. Handling is pretty good, although it is a bit wierd going back to FWD. Traction is the dry is awesome, but the wet needs a little more car, although all you get is understeer really.

So far then, so good- it goes like stink, sounds the nuts and pops and crackles on the overrun just for fun, is refined on the motorway and im even getting a bit better economy then the zed, which is something i wasnt expecting!

I cant compare it to the zed as they are very different cars, but I can say that im not dissapointed at all and I really do think the ST is a worthy replacement for what was the best car id owned to date, and id highly reccomend one to anyone who is going to go back to getting a hatch

Anyway, I will try and get some better pics as the one above doesnt do her justice

Cheers

Looking good and sounding fun. If I had not cried so many tears about having to sell the Zed and hence convincing the Mrs we could survive with a kid and just her car to transport her in then I would have probably gone down the ST route... may one ask how much with all the extras ?

thanks guys

you know, its suprisingly tractable even in the lower gears. Sure, if you wanted to, you could easily spin the wheels up, but thats true with any car. Im not sure about everyone else, but i never do "0-60" and very rarely boot it in 1st gear. For me, its about how a car performs when its rolling, and she really does fly esp when you are in 3rd gear or higher. 6th gear acceleration at motorway speeds is much much better than the zed, but like I say the ST does cheat a little as it has a turbo! Also to add that my old civic type r was much more prone to wheelspin then the ST, and that only had about 150lbft torque!

Sylvester, you can pick them up now for sub 13k if you try, even with mods like mine ;)

Chris, yeah mate, no worries, we'll have to see if we can meet up at some point- id like to have a gander at your teg too!

Martin...I couldnt possibly comment mate :lol:, but I may take her out at the weekend and see how she fares on the open road, rather than the motorway!

:lol:

The Civic in standard form struggled with traction! I think things have moved on since the original quotation of 210-215bhp being the max power for a FWD car. Mine has 240 and only spins up in the wet above 6krpm. In fact its pretty good at getting the power down, although i couldn't say what it would be like with 300lbft!

I felt the biggest difference between FWD and RWD when cornering, esp. when accelerating out of a corner.

And comparing highest gear acceleration is indeed a bit silly. My mate's Audi A3 2.0 Tractor Derived Ignition accelerates faster in 6th too, but thats why god (or Nissan) gave us a gearstick :lol:

Anyways, lots of performance for the money, and a bit more classy look than yer average chav-mobile :) Practicalily/performance i guess its a good deal ( a BMW M5 touring being a bit over the budget i guess :p)

I had a regular 1.8 Focus a number of years ago, and the handling really was superb. Very light and easy to turn in.

Does the ST have an LSD as standard? The one thing that annoyed me about my previous car (Celica T-Sport) was coming off RAB's or tight bends, the wheels would just light up and it really missed an LSD.

Anyhow, here is the *real* test that every car is judged by and is universally recognised as the absolute authority in automotive coolness:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

:teeth:

I had a regular 1.8 Focus a number of years ago, and the handling really was superb. Very light and easy to turn in.

Does the ST have an LSD as standard? The one thing that annoyed me about my previous car (Celica T-Sport) was coming off RAB's or tight bends, the wheels would just light up and it really missed an LSD.

Anyhow, here is the *real* test that every car is judged by and is universally recognised as the absolute authority in automotive coolness:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

:teeth:

Golf R32 quicker than the Porsche 911 turbo?

Focus ST slower than the focus RS?

Surely both of them should be th other way round....

That board just doesnt look right to me, not that it matters.

Get some more pics up matt!

top gear track suits some cars a lot more than others. The official line is that the ST was 10secs quicker around the ring than the RS, but, to be honest, who cares!

A lot depends on the driver too, and as we are on the subject of top gear, I recall when Mark Webber was the star in a reasonably priced car and when Clarkson commented "how come you didnt understeer around the hammerhead?!", cool as a cucumber, webber proclaimed...

"its called throttle control, mayte!"

so, so true!

if anything IMO, thats something any zed driver should have in abundance!

The ST doesnt have an ST Kev, well, not standard anyway.

my ST has had some suspension work done though- a morego powergrip suspension setup which consists of revised front suspension geometry and stiffer and lower springs fitted.

http://www.morego.co.uk/browse-performa ... 2805+on%29

Theres a bit more info on there, but basically the suspension tweaks act to assist in putting power down, particularly when exiting a corner. Ive not really had much of an opportunity to really test this, as the weather hasnt been great, but whilst at first the car did feel understerey, i think ive now re-adjusted and can get the power down a lot earlier. On certain sections of my route home, there is nothing in it compared with how my zed handled, apart from a litlle more body roll.

At the end of the day the zed is a sports car and the ST is a hothatch so you cant compare them, but IMO, and, granted, with the tweaks my ST has, there is very little in it and im very happy with my purchase, which is the main thing!

I wasnt intending on upsetting anyone on here with comments on the ST's performance compared to the zed- I loved my zed and drove it how it was designed to be driven!

At the end of the day the zed is a sports car and the ST is a hothatch so you cant compare them, but IMO, and, granted, with the tweaks my ST has, there is very little in it and im very happy with my purchase, which is the main thing!

I wasnt intending on upsetting anyone on here with comments on the ST's performance compared to the zed- I loved my zed and drove it how it was designed to be driven!

I'm sure people won't mind you making a quick comparison.

I would have thought the ST, especially in your spec will be much quicker than a Zed. I followed an Orange ST down a slip road and onto a motorway in my 650i, and although I stuck with him up to silly speeds, I was well impressed just how quick it was. He had 4 in the car too. Obviously he was trying to impress his mates by trying to leave me for dead, so I had to oblige by sticking to his bumper... :lol:

I would have thought the ST, especially in your spec will be much quicker than a Zed. I followed an Orange ST down a slip road and onto a motorway in my 650i, and although I stuck with him up to silly speeds, I was well impressed just how quick it was. He had 4 in the car too. Obviously he was trying to impress his mates by trying to leave me for dead, so I had to oblige by sticking to his bumper... :lol:

See i had a play in the zed and a mates ST and did some nice rolling sprints etc and the 350 had the edge but quite a bit. However i did notice - when in the car with my friend - that he isnt very good at changing gears and changes way too early, which could be why the zed had the advantage

See i had a play in the zed and a mates ST and did some nice rolling sprints etc and the 350 had the edge but quite a bit. However i did notice - when in the car with my friend - that he isnt very good at changing gears and changes way too early, which could be why the zed had the advantage

Especially with a turbo, as it could come off boost.