Running costs of anything faster than a zed

martybhoy

I recon if I was going to aim for something faster than the Z which doesn't break the bank (and still has 4 wheels) I'd probably buy an Impreza/Evo and pour a few £ into it. The idea of charging a Z is tempting but I can't help thinking I'd rather have something which was FI when it left the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did disks front and pads all round for less that £200, brakes are a doddle on a 350Z, and pretty cheap, they work very well also. Any car can be done a lot cheaper if you do stuff yourself, I did relent last week as the weather was crap and paid £70 to have my Y pipe fitted, but normally would do it myself, a supercar is only a car, its only trying to keep some semblance of main dealer history that would stop me, the brakes on an R8 are just brakes (unless carbon, then they wont need doing anyway) and to be honest I prefer my own work as I know how much effort I put in, not bound by the clock and making a profit.

If you want a fast car the Zeds not the car to own ...... If you want your zed to be a fast car then a supercharger is the way to go , usable /drivable power . ...... But by the Time you've done this you could buy a porker , but not everyone wants a bm/ por/ audi .

Can't really see a massive difference in running costs between the zed and other sports car IMO

This is until the Porsche goes wrong and you have no warranty !!

I did disks front and pads all round for less that £200, brakes are a doddle on a 350Z, and pretty cheap, they work very well also. Any car can be done a lot cheaper if you do stuff yourself, I did relent last week as the weather was crap and paid £70 to have my Y pipe fitted, but normally would do it myself, a supercar is only a car, its only trying to keep some semblance of main dealer history that would stop me, the brakes on an R8 are just brakes (unless carbon, then they wont need doing anyway) and to be honest I prefer my own work as I know how much effort I put in, not bound by the clock and making a profit.

I guess in terms of cash I wouldnt stick a set of £200 discs and pads on something with 400bhp - but agree with you prefer to do things myself (I say that but what I mean is give it to my dad and brother!) - although if you are paying out £40k+ on a sports car with a perfect dealer history the temptation is there to make resale as smooth as possible to keep it going.

I recon if I was going to aim for something faster than the Z which doesn't break the bank (and still has 4 wheels) I'd probably buy an Impreza/Evo and pour a few £ into it. The idea of charging a Z is tempting but I can't help thinking I'd rather have something which was FI when it left the factory

There are some tremendous gains to be made on cars like the Evo etc - on my GT4 I can make 300bhp just by buying a boost controller and dialing it up to a safe level. They are very tunable cars stock with little cost for big gains. And 4WD, never thought I would enjoy it so much :)

the 996 i saw got sold, back to the supercharger build :lol: I had another look yesterday and for the money im paying for the S/C there is nothing else out there thats worth the change in my opinion. Anything with similar power/setup is like a few K more than where im at now or much older than my car which I didnt want.

Plus I can still take my spanner to the zed with a lot of confidence and of course help on here :thumbs:

Edited by jumping350

he also claimed he was glad he didnt get a GTR as it was more expensive to run that the r8.

Loosely translated, i know the gtr is so much quicker than my r8 i have to find a way to justify buying the slower car, lets be honest, if you can afford £35-£40k worth of car a few hundred quid on servicing is immaterial.

he also claimed he was glad he didnt get a GTR as it was more expensive to run that the r8.

Loosely translated, i know the gtr is so much quicker than my r8 i have to find a way to justify buying the slower car, lets be honest, if you can afford £35-£40k worth of car a few hundred quid on servicing is immaterial.

I know I will probably take some abuse for this... I'd rather a v8 R8 than a GTR :surrender:

I know the GTR is hugely faster but I think the r8 has soo much more in terms of style that I'd be willing to sacrifice the speed.

• Like 3

if it was a V10 R8 or a GTR it'll definitely be the R8... dat engine :cloud9:

however, V8 R8 or GTR - probably the GTR. Never really thought of the V8 R8 as a proper supercar, just a sports car same as the GTR (which is definitely not a supercar!). therefore, i'd have the GTR and get it tuned to make supercar power, no option to do that with the V8 R8.

then again, how much is a supercharger kit for an R8? that could be interesting...

• Like 1

Absolutely, its good we all like different cars :)

I personally find the R8 styling bland and unexciting, V8 is nothing special (yes i have driven one) and would i pay the price for the V10, no as that brings another batch of exotica into the mix.

Justifying purchase of said cars on the basis of service costs is immaterial and as above, its trying to get a tick in the box over the Gtr as all gtr owners will argue the speed difference.

• Like 1

I really am not an R8 fan, in terms of styling. Had to double take an Audi earlier on the way to work, saw the front thought it was an R8 but then realised it was an A5. The styling is bland, uninspiring and just too close to the rep mobiles they churn out. Its just a squashed Audi. Does the GTR look like a squashed down pulsar, not a chance, it shouts something very different. I guess thats German design for you though.

As JP said, if you are spending £40k on a car, surely £500 a year difference in servicing or whatever is so irrelevant. If you are concerned about that then you shouldnt be buying a car which costs so much more in road tax, fuel, parts etc.

• Like 1

I'd have any R8 over the GT-R. In fact, give me a regular V8 with the manual 'box and I'd be perfectly happy.

Except I wouldn't as you get zero storage space on those, so I'd go and buy a 911 instead :lol: But as a rule, involvement & usability > outright speed every time.

• Like 1

I'd have any R8 over the GT-R. In fact, give me a regular V8 with the manual 'box and I'd be perfectly happy.

Except I wouldn't as you get zero storage space on those, so I'd go and buy a 911 instead :lol: But as a rule, involvement & usability > outright speed every time.

8cff9cfda9645430f38bd6548d7a4a22bb718ca5c233497cf852b27125d11c74.jpg

• Like 1

A GTR has 4 seats... the only thing the Z is missing also 5th gear said on the HR review why would you buy a caymen when a 350z is 6k cheaper and faster. although a porsche does look a bit more higher end i think your just paying for that and the 350z is aimed towards people who want porsche performance but at a cheaper price so to conclude unless your buying a top end porsche your just paying for further the refinment of a german car and a different concept of a sports car.

Audi R8 1600 HP 0-60 in.....

Edited by chrisday1990

A GTR has 4 seats... the only thing the Z is missing also 5th gear said on the HR review why would you buy a caymen when a 350z is 6k cheaper and faster. although a porsche does look a bit more higher end i think your just paying for that and the 350z is aimed towards people who want porsche performance but at a cheaper price so to conclude unless your buying a top end porsche your just paying for further the refinment of a german car and a different concept of a sports car.

Have you tried to sit in the back of one? 4 seats my @arse.

• Like 2

Topic is beginning to open up a bit now.

It's fair to say that sourcing most, if not all, parts ourselves is going to be the best option certainly with a zeds.

In regards to servicing costs though even at infiniti (where my z is going next month) my service is just over £100.

I can't believe the amount of oil needed for that 911 :scare:

I'd love to upgrade to something with a bit more badge :lol:

However for bhp/running costs I still haven't seen something equal to or better than a supercharged zed.

Dry sump mate

You want fast with minimal running cost?

depends on what you want to do with it.

and then.

easy answer. get a bike.

there's nowhere on the road to properly use the power of the car.

and I haven't done track but don't think a standard issue Z don't think could handle a whole lot of it without mods before and constant maintenance after.

sc is expensive and increases chance of problems as with any mods from factory standard. good for drag racing.

perhaps you could change your gear ratios to make it take off fast and same again for top end but there's no place on the road to really notice any of that.

On the bike about 2 weeks ago I did about 100 laps of aragon gp circuit in 3 days then sent it straight to Portimao circuit where I'll do another 3 days on full power.

When I get it back i've got a standard service booked and will look at tyre changing and inspect brake pad wear.

I've just spent all afternoon wasting petrol driving slowly along the S/E coast in the coolest car in town. that's what the Z is for on the road.

Have you tried to sit in the back of one? 4 seats my @arse.

Haha :lol:

Off topic but that misses the point of the @ you know? :p

Lol. Typed and moved on without checking!!

You @ar$se !

That's what she zed :)