Fraudulent activity on Credit Card

ioneabee

well, this is a first (for me)

a secondary card that I have - only used for specific purposes - has been copied in some way

the card is in my wallet, has only been used between 2 or 3 companies for on-line payments via secure sites

the card has just been changed to update it for expiry and the cloning (or whatever) was carried out on the older card which was shredded.

there a 5 relatively small amounts taken (fully recoverable as stated by the card company) - but they spotted it first by ringing me asking for clarification on these payments to Dominos pizzas (x2), Tesco, & virgin media (x2)

so, how the hell has this happpened ? and all credit to the CC company for spotting it

I'm guessing they were small purchases to get the card moving as such.

Often they just do a £1 or so.

I'd suggest it was one of the previous sites or somebody has sold you're info.

'carding' as they call it is a so-called profession for some people...

Well done on the credit card company.

Mine was done years ago starting online with a £1.

A girl I know at work just had a whole new account opened in her name and just got a statement through.Overdrawn a grand.

Hopefully they haven't had a mortgage on her yet....

Had a similar incident and It was curious in that the card in question was very rarely used as it was for a joint bills account but I had a problem with a parking meter on North Road in Cardiff and the machine reused to take any coins and I was running late for the Olympics ( was a volunteer not an Athlete haha!) It refused my own cards so I used the joint one which was accepted. I was working overseas at the time hence the card only saw use when I was back in the UK if at all. Anyhow after I have been back abroad a week or so later the ex wife called me and asked me if I had used the card and there were 2 odd transactions one in Warminster - Wilts and one in Maidstone - both at Tesco and both on signature - both transactions took place within 30 mins of each other so impossible for the card to be in both places at once so to speak. Being my card I had to fill in a load of forms after some very difficult phone calls from the South Pacific to India as the phone network is awful- managed eventually via skype. Net result was we were refunded the money (£800ish) and the bank think there was some kind of reader in the machine or someone dishonest at Cardiff City Council.

Also had another incident but that was internal non UK bank fraud from a former employee who took a few more details with him and was taking a few bucks from a lot of people

Had my debit card cloned, and my Mrs had her debit card cloned. Both were put down to petrol station cash machine in a shell garage in Mold and the other one to a Spar cash machine. So my Mrs had her debit card cloned in North Wales and then got a call from the bank that somebody was trying to buy a PAYG top up card in London. Bank stopped card and called her. New card issued.

Mine was from the Shell garage in North Wales, and then Natwest rang me as somebody was trying to setup a Paddy Power account with my debit card. God knows how the banks know, maybe there's a trend but at least they are on top of these fraudsters. One thing the bank said to me was the pay at pump machines are usually a good target for cloners as well.

So for me - never pay at pump, no withdrawing cash from petrol stations and I always cover my pin with my hand.

Oh and one final bit of advice, never EVER use your debit / credit card in any lap dancing joints aka SR unless you want to get a call from your bank at 5am the following morning with automated messages asking to confirm if transactions are genuine.....so I have been informed by a good source....lol.

Had my debit card cloned, and my Mrs had her debit card cloned. Both were put down to petrol station cash machine in a shell garage in Mold and the other one to a Spar cash machine. So my Mrs had her debit card cloned in North Wales and then got a call from the bank that somebody was trying to buy a PAYG top up card in London. Bank stopped card and called her. New card issued.

Mine was from the Shell garage in North Wales, and then Natwest rang me as somebody was trying to setup a Paddy Power account with my debit card. God knows how the banks know, maybe there's a trend but at least they are on top of these fraudsters. One thing the bank said to me was the pay at pump machines are usually a good target for cloners as well.

So for me - never pay at pump, no withdrawing cash from petrol stations and I always cover my pin with my hand.

Oh and one final bit of advice, never EVER use your debit / credit card in any lap dancing joints aka SR unless you want to get a call from your bank at 5am the following morning with automated messages asking to confirm if transactions are genuine.....so I have been informed by a good source....lol.

was that the shell garage on the a55 by maccy d's ?

was that the shell garage on the a55 by maccy d's ?

No, it was the one on the A494 near Mold, the one I get my fuel from :scare: . This was a few years ago and I believe the device that read the card was installed in one of the terminals in the shop and not in the cash machine. There was a spate of these in North Wales about 6 years ago although it could have been as long as 10 years. I know somebody local to me who had their current account cleared in a few minutes by a gang in Milton Keynes. Turned out that the device was fitted to the cash machine outside of Lloyds T.S.B in Mold.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

There seems to be a new paypal one doing the rounds ive had it a couple of times in the last week. Says its from PP and says you have paid 35 quid or whatever to Skype. Please log into your PP acc using the link below to verify this.... yeah right... looks very convincing though.

It's happened to me twice and my card had never left the house. I think it must have been a dodgy website (not that sort of dodgy :nono: ) but I don't know which one. The credit card company spotted it both times and I was not out of pocket. Thieves had tried buying cheap jewellery with it. I think that hacked me off most. I mean, cheap jewellery, moi :scare::lol:

Slightly off topic, but I had a call from my banks anti fraud dept a few years ago, the conversation went like:

Me: Hello?

Bank: Hello, is that Mr H?

Me: Yes it is, how can I help?

Bank: This the anti fraud dept from <bank name>, we'd like to confirm some recent activity on your debit card.

Me: That's fine.

Bank: As we've phone you we're not going to ask your security questions as we could be phising for information, so we'd like to ask some questions about your recent transactions, is that OK?

Me: Sure, fire away.

Bank: What restaurant do you regularly order food from?

Me: PLEASE tell me I don't order so much <pizza place> that it's now a security question from my bank?!?!?!

todays e-mail - considering whats just happened, I'd better click the link to get my account re-activated ............oh, wait...........what NatWest account - I don't remember opening that ????

Dear Customer,

A recent security risk has led to the deactivation of your account,

Your access to online banking and various online services have been terminated.

This is a precaution required to protect our customers and to further serve you well.

To reactivate your account you are required to visit our nearest branch to you

or click here to reactivate now.

Once you have completed the reactivation process all your account services will

immediately be restored.

Customer Service

NatWest Bank

I worked on implementing a system which detected fraudulent activity on cards. This was 10+ years ago and it was quite sensitive back then. They had folks use placed "cards" as a test.... I didn't volunteer for that one.

They trend what your spending/usage habits are and anything slightly out of the norm is flagged for review, if it hits a score its immediately escalated.

I've been done twice myself, once was highlighted by the company I work for and once by a high street financial provider I use. On both occasions it was nominal transactions but totally out of the norm for me. Was PAYG phone top ups IIRC.

I always use a credit card for Internet/petrol station transactions as the protection seems to be a lot more sensitive.

OP if you rarely use your card and only online either the merchants/payment processor has been compromised or you have.