Porsche Cayman

zxrob

Right

The wife says I can change the car if I want :)

Now, I love my 350z roadster, just had a re-trim an, looks great, 05 plate just under 40k, to be honest I don't want to get rid

She knows I like the 370z but I also like the look of the porker

Anyone had one, either the 2.7 or 3.4

Opinions please

Rob

Was the "other" choice when I recently changed, excellent car to drive - balanced, responsive, pretty quick and feels quite light after a Zed, the 2014 model is an astonishing car as well. Compares very favourably against the 370 IMO, much better as a drivers car :)

Was the "other" choice when I recently changed, excellent car to drive - balanced, responsive, pretty quick and feels quite light after a Zed, the 2014 model is an astonishing car as well. Compares very favourably against the 370 IMO, much better as a drivers car :)

What engine was in the one you drove buddy

Cheers Rob

I only looked at 3.4's as I felt the 2.7's wouldnt cut it - I wanted something faster than a 350Z, and I already knew the engine from 996's. Make sure you look at the later cars, if you can stretch to a facelift then they look much nicer IMO and the later engines didnt suffer bore scoring or IMS failure (both pricey, pricey problems)

Best advice I can give you is to drive one, they are excellent fun and properly involving. Thats said, Im glad I took the route I did and left them alone until I can afford a 204 one :lol:

Depending on the year of Cayman in your budget.

My only problem with earlier caymans or boxsters is.... The new Cayman and boxster because they are simply stunning and I think If I had an older one came up beside one of the new bigger and better looking imo I'd feel a little rotten inside.

Now, I love my 350z roadster......to be honest I don't want to get rid

Fit a supercharger. Get another bike. And take the missus on holiday. Everyone's a winner :yahoo:

• Like 2

Sold my Zed last year and a Cayman will be my next car, I think a 2.9 Gen 2 is what I want. I expect it to be as quick as my zed due to less weight. I want something that enjoys revs more and feels a bit more nimble. The lower powered caymans seem to fit the bill, and the 2.9 potentially more reliable.

My friend had a Cayman, it was about 7-8 years old. He sold it about 4 months ago and shortly after the buyer contacted him as the engine was kaput.

IIRC the bill was £7000.

I have also heard the later models are the ones to go for.

Now, I love my 350z roadster......to be honest I don't want to get rid

Fit a supercharger. Get another bike. And take the missus on holiday. Everyone's a winner :yahoo:

Hey Ian

I did mention the garage would look compete with the new Kawasaki supercharged H2 :) but that didn't go down well

The plan is to keep the Z and get a n other ;)

Rob

• Like 1

Best sports coupe produced for sensible money that you can buy.

Read up's are pretty good for the cayman

What a good porker that's not a 911 :scare:

Rob

They are ALL good cars, even the Boxster believe it or not. Clarkson has a lot to answer for. :boxing:

Cayman handling makes you wonder where the 350Z is keeping the extra 3000KGs ;)

Unlike Nissan, Porsche don’t manufacture trucks and feel the need to component-share their weighty engines, gearboxes and electrics with their sports and GT cars. Doesn’t do much for mass but it helps keep them cheap and reliable though!

It’s worth noting that the 370z has a 5-star Euro NCAP rating whereas the Boxster/Cayman have never even been submitted (AFAIK). Not something we really think about until you’ve had a head-on collision with a wall on a trackday. All that performance with added safety fizz too!

US manufacturers (who also make trucks & stuff) also seem to take this approach but with better results – wedging 454-620 “big blocks†into coupes has traditionally yielded a certain degree of fun.

As long as you have an infinite petrol budget.

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Cayman R 2012 like this:

224643d1325805560-2011-road-king-classic-apple-green-black-2012-porsche-cayman-r_2.jpg

It's an amazing car and on a different planet handling-wise to 370Z. Everything about it is "perfect" for a second/track car. I've owned it for a few months but only take it out for a weekend away or on the track. If your my age and unfit it is not something to live in for several hours a day.

I would say that it is not that quick as well. I recently tracked it against a friend's Golf Type R and we were exact times lap after lap.

Can be fun. Turn everything off and this happens if you're not that good a driver:

[

]

Consequently I stick to this for daily use:

DSC_6551.jpg

Edited by captain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...