Car trade in for lower mileage zed

dannybz

Hi Guys,

My zed is sitting at 70k now, however one has come up at a local garage with 43k miles on and i was thinking of trading it in, its the same year 04 although it's up for 9k i could trade in for my car and 1k... would it be worth doing this or would it be wasting money?

So you're saying the dealer is offering a part ex value of 8 grand on a 04 plate with over 70k miles? That just can't be right surely.

Bit of a daft question to be honest, it's you're choice but a Z will do well over 70k anyway so unless the one you;re looking at is in a better colour or better condition theirs not much point.

Yeah i think maybe slightly better.. not a great deal in condition, and i want to keep my wheels anyway as i just fitted new falcons on it and i have rays and he has the fairlady wheels on his. But he said we could swap the wheels so that i could keep mine. The only other thing is has a stock exhaust system, and it sounded a bit pants compared to mine, i think mine has a cobra on it not sure exactly as i purchased second hand but mine growls a lot more IMO

Is the number on the odometer of a car you don't know worth a grand to you? Is there anything wrong with your current car that'll cost a grand or more to fix?

If the answer to either of these is yes, then there's your answer. If the answer to both is no, then there's your answer again.

TBH often better the devil you know, 70k isn't much on a Zed in terms of it needing to be changed!

Don't know what that cars condition is, you know yours and as above unless yours needs work it that's going to cost prob a bad idea.

Ed

Edited by hawker1986

My car is pretty healthy, nothing wrong with it, needs a clutch change though pretty soon as i can feel it slip slightly, other than that it's pretty solid i suppose. The interior of the other car seems a bit nicer, i have a few scratches on the plastic dash on the passenger side where a glove box would normally be on the bottom half, which kind of annoys me :( dunno if that can be replaced though.

I'm not educated on how many miles these cars are good for although i had heard somewhere 200k... i dunno when i start getting funny when my cars get close to 100k

Anyone here with over 100k and had any issues?

@Ekona can you change the clock :scare:

Edited by dannybz

The replacement car must be a dog because there is no dealer in this world that would offer that deal on a straight car.Ask yourself the question why would he do that ..Stick don't twist....

My car is pretty healthy, nothing wrong with it, needs a clutch change though pretty soon as i can feel it slip slightly, other than that it's pretty solid i suppose. The interior of the other car seems a bit nicer, i have a few scratches on the plastic dash on the passenger side where a glove box would normally be on the bottom half, which kind of annoys me :( dunno if that can be replaced though.

I'm not educated on how many miles these cars are good for although i had heard somewhere 200k... i dunno when i start getting funny when my cars get close to 100k

Anyone here with over 100k and had any issues?

@Ekona can you change the clock :scare:

146k and counting with zero 'real' issues to speak of. You should know your car after a few months and if there in nothing wrong with it then keep it.

I used to be worried about the mileage but you know what. Who cares?!? There is a buyer for every car. Good luck :)

• Like 1

Personally I think it's a case of better the devil you know.

Miles are really nothing but a guide. You could get a car that's been real well looked after at 100k miles and drives a dream, the exact same car with 50k could of had a hard life with poor maintainance. In that instance i know which I would prefer.

Why are people so obsessed with mileage? Vast majority of modern cars, including 350z last for 200k+ miles without any major issues.

Your car is 11 years old. Whether it has 25k, 50k, or 100k miles on makes no difference to reliability whatsoever. It all depends on how was the car driven and maintained. If anything, at that age you should be concerned about mileage being low rather than high.

Paying to change a car that has done 70k miles for exactly the same car that has done 40k miles is madness. There are much better ways to waste your £1k than that.

• Like 3

Ignore whether you're getting a better car or not, or whether a low mileage car is better than yours. Look at it like this:

IT'S AN 11 YEAR OLD 350Z FOR NINE THOUSAND POUNDS

On no sensible planet is that a good deal in the first place. Alarm bells should be ringing big time at that alone.

• Like 3

After reading all these posts on it ....... I'm making a U turn ...... Sounds like the trader wants rid of the car . As said , better the devil you know .

And I've always wanted cars with lower mileage .... Rightly or wrongly it's always been important to me , after condition, service history , owner etc

Edited by Bodyboarder81

Low mileage cars are a good idea if you're never going to drive them. If you have any intention of putting anything close to average miles on them, then you lose your 'investment' straight away and it was pointless paying the premium.