If you had £15k for a fast daily - what would it be?

georgerobertfreeman

Anyone had any experience of day to day living with a Z4MC?

Not for £15K :lol:

A mate of mine who's opinion I really respect likes Z4's, hes just bought a 3.0 ......... but seeing as I was in exactly this position until recently I think I can help ;)

E46 M3 - getting on now and a bit slow

Cayman - amazing handling but restricted on practicality, not pant wettingly fast either

E60 M5 - fat and juicy, but quite awesome, for E39 see E49 M3

E92 335i - ace car, bit soft for my taste

Evo 8/9 - also awesome, but service every 3500 miles is a bit much

Evo X - Not as good as the 9

996 - see E46 comments again

Any TVR - not a daily :lol:

So I bought an E82 135iM coupe with Bilstein and M3 suspension, remapped to 430hp and 525lb/ft, its done 72K miles but fits every other part of the bill and after 3 months is still terrifying me on a daily basis. :teeth:

Its also a pretty rare car so hopefully wont lose much, if any money, and it does 28mpg on a decent run :)

In all honesty I find it difficult to look past BMW's these days, they are just so good at everything its almost depressing.

• Like 1

Old man used to have the aluminium bodied jag super v8. For the money they're brilliant. If you could live with the image. Most comfortable ride I've experienced. It's a 4.2 V8 with Supercharger whine, 30mpg all day long, loaded with luxuries & lights up the rear whenever suits.

Focus ST almost as quick as you want and save some money

FWD scrabble wagon with terrible fuel economy? Not thanks.

S4 would be a nice car, as would a Z4MC. Personally I'd be tempted to find a few extra quid or haggle like crazy and try for an E92 M3. Practical, quick, and one of the last great NA cars.

That, or I'd go grab a 996 for £10K and keep the £5K back as a slush fund, and enjoy the finest junior supercar you can get your hands on.

for 15k you could just about get a decent z4mc if you haggle. We have one in interlagos blue and it was neck and neck with my e46 m3 on a few runs. It certainly "feels" faster to drive than my m3 but it's just perception. You get the CSL brakes and a fast steering rack as standard. If you go for a full sports exhaust, some bucket seats and remap you'll be around same weight and power as an M3 CSL.

I had a Subaru impreza WR1 a few years back 0-60 4.2 secs, it was the the car I have kept the longest because it did everything, and did it all well. But with 15k to spend I would get the later RB320 , they are less than 15k now and just as fast.

Could get a nice mk5 golf r32 for just under 10k now, not the fastest but God they sound good and will definately hold their money as they are becoming more rare I've Always fancied one myself but think they are slightly underpowered and and terrible fuel economy.

I think the zed is a bit quicker than the r32, 0-60 is around 6.5 seconds and the zed is 5.7 not that this makes any difference on the roads and I've read people getting 12mpg urban where as I get around 21ish mpg so I think the zed is slightly better but not by much. Although I've never driven an r32 so I'm only going by what I've read.

My 370z is my daily and those with ~45k miles have just dipped under £15k.

I ran an exige S2, also daily. Very special, no depreciation, amazing noise. Dangerous to drive in the winter (to be honest) and incredibly impractical.

Also ran an E46 330 m sport, solid as anything but always went wrong and was slow as anything& stupidly dull.

Others mentioned- mostly too unreliable for a daily if you ask me. Caution on the porkers- look up 'bore scoring' on the Cayman/911, getting more common with age and engine rebuild to fix.

Z4m coupe isn't a bad shout but you won't get as new/ low miles as the equivilant z and the servicing is poor, plus the rubbish image (unless you're 22 and looking to pull that is ;) )

/ my 2p

Edited by Siman350z
  • Like 1

Id give serious considerations to:-

R32 GTR - will have change for mods :)

260z 2+2 - can be had for less than 15k, slower, but so much more entertaining to drive and you may always be late, but you will ALWAYS have a smile on your face!!!

260z 2+2 - can be had for less than 15k, slower, but so much more entertaining to drive and you may always be late, but you will ALWAYS have a smile on your face!!!

As a daily?

• Like 1

As a daily?

ROFL, exact words I was going to post. R32 GTR's are delicate to say the least, and a 260Z is a bit rare and a bit rusty, although having recently had the pleasure of taking a 240Z for a rip Id imagine you could live with its performance.

I know a few that use R32 daily, same for R33..... budget wont stretch to R34 :)

As I said, you will be constantly late, but you would always have a smile on your face :) My 240 has been in the shop longer than I have had it on the road, but still..... its a lifestyle choice, not a convenience choice ;)