STONE CHIPS! Just a fact of life?

jonty88

Hey Guys,

So this might be just a rant or getting it off my chest, however I want to know if you guys all experience the dreaded stone chips and scuffs. Had my Z just over a week now and have had the chance to look over the body work and live with it a bit. There are numerous marks to the front a long with small scuffs here and there (from washing?) but these type of things really grind my gears. Is this something normal for all of you? How do you guys mentally cope with knowing they are there?! Anything that can be used to hide / get rid of said marks?

Sorry for the rant, thanks! :dry:

You'll never beat stone chips. You could have a film applied, but that costs money and you'll always be able to see the lines where it is (even if you have the whole car wrapped!).

Best thing to do is to just enjoy driving it, and save for a front end respray every couple of years. Cheapest and best way to keep it looking smart. :)

• Like 2

Yep stone chips are just part of the experience of owning a zed. :)

People say its the shape of the frontal area and the soft nissan paint. So here`s a question to you guys who have had the front repainted. Does it still chip as easily or is the new paint harder and more resistant ?

When i first bought my zed i loved it and cleaned it like crazy and i think i knew the location of every stone chip. Went up to Scotland on the hoon and following the guys all i could hear was the ping ping ping of stones of the front. At first i used to cringe but then thought "sod it", i cant wrap this car up in cotten wool, a good car has to be used. I know a number of my dads friends cars which are stunning concourse pieces, but i do feel sorry for them, they should be out there on the road being used and enjoyed.

My current zed has got quite a few stones chips but i tell you, i treat them as battle scars and ive enjoyed getting each and every one one of them (particularly in southern europe) and if it gets to the point where something needs to be done i'll get a front respray.

• Like 2

Yeah, just washed mine and found & touched up 3 new ones from the weekend jaunt over to Gainsborough.

What did you use to touch them up?

Just some touch up paint that I got off the internet on the end of a cocktail stick. They did let me know that they wouldn`t guarantee a perfect match with it being a pearlescent finish, and It`s not, but it is better than the black showing through.

Edited by Wayne370Z

Hey Guys,

So this might be just a rant or getting it off my chest, however I want to know if you guys all experience the dreaded stone chips and scuffs.

Nope, I don't have any problems with stone chips. The thing is that the vast majority of chips are caused by driving too close to the vehicle in front, sadly most people don't even realize they're doing it. Of course this isn't foolproof as you can get chips from passing cars or even cars coming the other way, nothing you can do about that. I look at it this way though, if you can read the number plate of the car in front at 70 then you're far too close. I know some people will disagree but it's worked for me so far. It's especially important to keep your distance when the gritter has been out :thumbs: .

Pete

• Like 3

When I got my Z back in 2012 it did have a lot of stone chips on the bumper....bonnet and a few on the front wings.....I had them re sprayed a few months after so after 7k.......I can report only 1 small stone chip........the key is to keep a certain distance of the car in front.......and a BIG distance with trucks :). The first pic is when I had the re spray and after 18 months later the last pics with the poor paper stuck over the number plate is as it now lol

fishandcar063.jpg

imagejpg1_zps637f4b6d.jpg

imagejpg1_zps637f4b6d.jpg

No change other than the 1 stone chip lol

Edited by JEMAN