Tamiya Ferrari F189 in 1/20th scale that I built.

GMballistic

Following on from JEMAN's very impressive scale models I thought I'd post one of mine that I just finished doing the other weekend.

It's a 1/20th scale Tamiya Ferrari F189 which was a Ferrari driven by Nigel Mansel back in the 1989 GP.

The kit is very fiddly to build due to the scale and was lacking in some aspects so I have deviated from Tamiya's spec sheet and tried to add more detail myself.

The seat for example was drilled/sanded to allow the installation of a 1/20th scale harness set that I built from scratch using parts from a Japanese kit bought from eBay. I wanted to try and create a look of texture for the seat rather than it just being a flat painted surface so used glass shot blast beads mixed in with my paint to try & replicate some type of fabric.

I have cut the nose cone away from the main body which in the kit was all one piece, ...I did this to add more realism so that the nose cone is actually a separate piece now from the main body cowling. I also used electrical wire (that I pulled the copper from the centre) to use as piping for the oil cooler pipe work and also rubbed down the tyre's to give them a used look.

There are other things I've done but I'll let the pictures do the talking. :D

019_zps53b6e7b1.jpg

020_zpsf2325d61.jpg

021_zpse5e13311.jpg

022_zps91aef1e5.jpg

024_zpsfa7c42ef.jpg

Hope at least some of you like them. :thumbs:

Some of my other models can be found in this thread link although the topic is now "archived" so you can't respond in there; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/77718-anyone-in-to-scale-models/

• Like 7

I would say that is awesome mate :thumbs:

But I'm not sure if I class as a model enthusiast - I like to look at them but not really made any since I was a schoolboy and before anyone reminds me I know that was a long while ago :lol:

• Like 1

GMballistic........that looks stunning ! The detail is something else.....the harness set alone is AWSOME. You have true skill well done buddy :) I'll be checking your other link :)

Thanks for that. ;)

The harness set was quite difficult to do with the belts themselves being only around 2.8mm in width.

Some parts of the build didn't quite go to plan and I know where I've messed up certain bits but every time I build one of these scale models it get's a little bit better than the last one so hoping to get one built one day that I'm 100% happy with. :thumbs:

Very nice! I have recently built a couple of models, some small scale planes..Spitfire, Hurricane and Stuka, and a large scale Mig 29 fantastic looking aircraft IMO, I also rebuilt a 1/16 scale RC Tiger tank, will see if I can find some pics.

Thanks Ricky.

Post up the pictures if you can as I'd like to see them for one. Keep telling myself I'm going to build a plane model kit one day but just keep finding myself drawn towards building cars more often then not.

So far I've done cars (F1/drag cars/street cars/race cars etc), rockets, engines, figures (soldiers/Warhammer) and guns. :lol: Got to do a plane, tank or boat soon just to mix it up. :D

IMG_3401_1.jpgWell I had a couple of pics of the tank, but just had to take some of the planes... forgot just how hard it is to get a decent shot in low light, so these are the best I could do..sorry!

You've helped me make up my mind I think Ricky, ...next model project has to be a tank I think. :D Look's fantastic. B);)

@Everyone else ~ Thanks for the comments and glad you liked the Ferrari build. :thumbs:

There great fun, that one is a cheap ready built Heng Long RC model, but like everyone else I just pulled it apart and rebuilt and painted it to my own spec, I used my grandson as the excuse, but he is only two so we will have to wait a bit for more fun and it possibly ending up in the pond ;)

There are lots of other 1/16 tank kits the best being Tamiya but the price tag is considerable, check out the 1/8 and 1/4 scale ones onYou tube :)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

There great fun, that one is a cheap ready built Heng Long RC model, but like everyone else I just pulled it apart and rebuilt and painted it to my own spec, I used my grandson as the excuse, but he is only two so we will have to wait a bit for more fun and it possibly ending up in the pond ;)

There are lots of other 1/16 tank kits the best being Tamiya but the price tag is considerable, check out the 1/8 and 1/4 scale ones onYou tube :)

I want to build something in a bigger scale so that's it's not so fiddly but also as I'd like to add more real life details although I think a 1/8 or 1/4 scale tank maybe outside my budget after looking. :surrender::lol:

Definitely going to have to do some tank browsing this weekend now, ...thinking British Army or American and possibly new age tanks for the more modern features. Most likely will look at only static models though rather than R/c. :thumbs:

P.s. If you have any recommendations just let me know. ;)

• Like 1

I found this forum, http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/index.php its mostly RC but there are some very useful tips and info, and they can be quite helpful...if a little OTT, the Heng long 1/16 tanks can be had for as little as £60 so not bad.

But expect to pay £200 + for Tamiya 1/16.

I wasn't suggesting 1/8 and 1/4 scale as they are mostly home made but there are kits that start at the same price as making your Z SC, :lol:

I found this forum, http://www.rctankwar...orums/index.php its mostly RC but there are some very useful tips and info, and they can be quite helpful...if a little OTT, the Heng long 1/16 tanks can be had for as little as £60 so not bad.

But expect to pay £200 + for Tamiya 1/16.

I wasn't suggesting 1/8 and 1/4 scale as they are mostly home made but there are kits that start at the same price as making your Z SC, :lol:

Thanks Ricky. ;)

Going to need some more research before I dive in so that site will come in useful.

You're not wrong though, the prices on the tank kits are bonkers, ...actually make some of the larger scale car kit's look cheap. :surrender::lol:

I collected the all the weekly magazine parts to make the 1/8th scale 007 DB5. The thing is huge nearly 2ft long and weighs around 20lb. It was expensive to make and was a painful wait collecting all the parts but was very rewarding after I finished building it.

Started off with a huge pile of parts

20130209_162807_zps1091e702.jpg

ended up with this

20130210_163137_zps3ea30b85.jpg

Here is a cool video someone has made showing all the cars features https://www.youtube....h?v=uHkheHmEByw

• Like 3

I collected the all the weekly magazine parts to make the 1/8th scale 007 DB5. The thing is huge nearly 2ft long and weighs around 20lb. It was expensive to make and was a painful wait collecting all the parts but was very rewarding after I finished building it.

ended up with this

20130210_163137_zps3ea30b85.jpg

Here is a cool video someone has made showing all the cars features https://www.youtube....h?v=uHkheHmEByw

That is awesome. B)

I was very tempted myself to start buying those but in the end never did. Works out at something like £800 odd for every issue needed to complete the model so kudos for following it through to the end. ;)

• Like 1

That is awesome. B)

I was very tempted myself to start buying those but in the end never did. Works out at something like £800 odd for every issue needed to complete the model so kudos for following it through to the end. ;)

Cheers I did work out to be something like £800 but when its only a few quid a week you dont seem to care. Only problem with it is its a little too big to display anywhere in my house as I dont want it to get damaged. Still hopefully it will be worth something one day who knows!

That is awesome. B)

Cheers I did work out to be something like £800 but when its only a few quid a week you dont seem to care. Only problem with it is its a little too big to display anywhere in my house as I dont want it to get damaged. Still hopefully it will be worth something one day who knows!

Definitely a future collectable.

Also I noticed some time ago when I was looking on eBay that you can get display cases for them to stop the dust getting at them. Like below...

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=290837699772

You could always just make one for a lot cheaper though I'm sure. Maybe an old fish tank upside down with some sort of wooden plinth. ;)

Edit: @Ricky ~ I'm pretty sure you can buy the complete magazine/parts collection in one go once it's all been released although it's very expensive.

Edited by GMballistic

That is awesome. B)

Definitely a future collectable.

Also I noticed some time ago when I was looking on eBay that you can get display cases for them to stop the dust getting at them. Like below...

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=290837699772

You could always just make one for a lot cheaper though I'm sure. Maybe an old fish tank upside down with some sort of wooden plinth. ;)

Edit: @Ricky ~ I'm pretty sure you can buy the complete magazine/parts collection in one go once it's all been released although it's very expensive.

Yeah I have seen them too, I already have a base stand which was a extra in the collection, would just need a glass or perspex box to go over it but it still takes up so much room, as i said the car itself is nearly 2 ft and the stand is a good 8 inches bigger all round.