stance queen turned drift/street car

dougie350

hi everyone.

been a bit alow with updating the thread with my new car colour. but yeh the new colour is black with gold flake :) it looks amazing, in normal light it looks just black but in direct sunlight the gold flake comes out lovely. i took the car to shelsey breakfast club on sunday and it got alot of attention even though it wasnt relly properly finished, it still needed a good mop and polish. hopefully getting the car back again tonight as my mates had it for the day and sorted out any little bits and given it a detail, mop, polish etc. so it should look even better now :)

here are some quick pics i took on my phone....

black%201_zps4wic06ab.jpg

black%202_zpslzqsceui.jpg

black%203_zpszivqkgdy.jpg

black%204_zps15tp4gm1.jpg

also my takata harness's turned up today so will fit them later when i pick up the car

takata%202_zpsiqalki3r.jpg

thats all for now, still have lots of things to fit and do before drift matsuri next friday, hopefully fitting front and rear camber arms tommorow and getting aligned on saturday :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

*update*

so..... the lead up to drift matsuri was pretty manic, trying to get everything sorted and check everything over to minimise break downs and problems etc, the main thing i wanted to do was to get the front and rear camber arms on and get it aligned.

managed to get the arms on easily enough, the rears were easy and the fronts taking a bit more time, i measured up the arms against the oem ones to try and get it somewhere near just so i could get to the alignment centre, i choose to go to A-line in dudley as i know a few people who go there from the drift scene and had heard that they are "low car" friendly. fitted the arms on a friday night and was going saturday morning to get the alignment done, about halfway to A-line and i could hear a knocking noise coming from the front of the car :scare: turns out driftworks camber arms have a distinct knock due to the rose joints.... not happy and not impressed! managed to get my car on the ramp and much to my disappointment the guys could not get the toe bolts undone and i didnt want to risk breaking the bolt as i would not be able to get the car home....gutted so they had a tweak of what they could to even up the camber i had and off i went!

next job was to get my harness's in, was a pretty straight forward job, did not have to weld any eyelets into the car and i was using a "wrap around" on my roll cage, i did have to fit some eyelets on the seat subframes though, which i just drilled through and bolted some on. job done.

IMG_4565_zpsxo61ryal.jpg

earlier in my build thread i said i had bought a universal roof rack and it fitted and worked....well it didnt last very long, after test fitting it a few times the metal clamp buckle system decided to die... so i scratched my head and came up with a different idea! i ended up shortening the rack and re fitted the feet so its perfect width for the roof of my car, and totally removed the buckle/clamp system that was on it and ended up bolting on 2 small ratchet clamps on each side of the rack with the roof clamps on the end of the ratchet straps.....it works perfectly, really impressed with how solid it is, i had 3 tyres upright across the rack the whole way down to drift matsuri and it didnt move an inch.

skid7_zpskoyy3tjo.jpg

next up was a service on the car, oil change, filters, and diff oil. i always do a service like this every 2 drift days just to ensure the car has the best chance of surviving :)

last on the list was sourcing some tyres and changing tyres on wheels from previous drift days, local garages are very helpfull and put aside good tyres that they would normally throw away for me, some are perfectly road legal too! some have punctures but easily fixed at my friends unit who has a tyre machine and puncture repair stuff!

so...... was it all worth the aggro and work for matusri..........YES! what an amazing weekend and venue! the event itself is ran by the bdc and for once was very well organised! had loads of seat time and minimal delays! the weather was typically welsh, it rained hard saturday morning but did clear up by about 12.30.

there were 3 tracks to choose from, the twisty touge track, the fast track and the hairpin practise corner. all are very fun and very different!

in the morning i opted for the touge track first, its so much fun, its got an uphill section, long corner and a downhill section too, it really does offer the best of everything, i got used to the track pretty quickly even though it was severly wet, but it just got better throughout the day as it dried out!

i then thought id have a go on the fast track, and it is.... fast, the last corner i was entering at about 90mph so it was pretty exciting stuff! but with all the excitement i did mess up.... ive thought of a million excuses as to why this happened but i simply... ran out of talent! as i exited the first corner i was manji'ing down the straight and over cooked it and did a half spin, and was flying down the straight backwards, as i hit the stop pedal it swung the front of the car around into tow large tractor tires..... :wacko:

skid6_zpsspveyno6.jpg

its fairly minimal damage and i was not too bothered as im building this car to be a drift car, not a show car!

The hairpin practise corner was good for practising good angle, but it was nothing on the other two tracks! it was pretty quiet all day as people wanted to just drive the proper tracks so it was something to do whilst the others were busy!

all in all the event was just amazing, i highly reccomend it to anyone who wants to drive a real track! everyone was friendly and no one judged another on skill level, everyone was there for the same thing.....to have fun!

here are a few photos taken off me.

skid3_zpsuqxxepao.jpg

skid2_zpsleayjgh8.jpg

skid1_zpsb2hnvw5h.jpg

skid4_zps4ubjllgf.jpg

for the last years this event has been on its been a once a year event, but there are rumours of there being a spring matsuri now so fingers crossed!

so back to the car,the car ran faultlessly all day and i was pretty happy with how it was on track, enough power, chassis felt good, but i do feel i need more lock, ive looked into various options but i think im going to go for a powered by max "max lock" kit, its $800 and made in the usa, one of my friends had a kit fitted to his 350z and the angle is immense, not quite wisefab, but nearly! and it doesnt look stupid fitted to the car. plans are to mabee get a kit early next year. obviously the alignment will be sorted too, sooner rather than later as grip was another problem at matsuri, im only using about 50% of my tire on the rear which is annoying. set of adjustable toe arms and that will be sorted hopefully in the next week or so.

realised i hadnt put a picture up of my hydro yet either so here it is.....

IMG_4566_zpsx9edegip.jpg

i have got a go pro vid of one of my runs, i didnt get many as the battery died and i forgot my cable but its something, ill upload to youtube later and add it on here for you guys to see :)

thats all for now, ill keep you all updated with anything else that happens :)

standard pose photo :teeth:

skid5_zpsjkej89ig.jpg

• Like 1

All sounds awesome, new colour is ace, black is the best.

My friend had a siezed toe bolt that snapped on us, ended up temporarily using a standard bolt and nut and just centring it best as we could had no issues.

I was going to get the DW front arms so that knocking isn't good at all, can you pm me with more details on it?

Have you done the washer on steering arms trick and cut the stops for more lock?

• Like 1

Great read and progress ..... No one can say you're not getting the full use out of the car !! Looks so much better in the black ( apart from the tyre marks :( )

thanks man! yeh its a shame about the door...it was kind of expected though aha!

All sounds awesome, new colour is ace, black is the best.

My friend had a siezed toe bolt that snapped on us, ended up temporarily using a standard bolt and nut and just centring it best as we could had no issues.

I was going to get the DW front arms so that knocking isn't good at all, can you pm me with more details on it?

Have you done the washer on steering arms trick and cut the stops for more lock?

thanks mate, ill drop you a pm.

• 2 months later...

right then, time for an update!

first of all i hope you all had a great christmas and new year!

before christmas i ordered a set of toe arms so i could finally adjust my camber enough to get me nearer 0 degrees, i went for some voodoo adjustable arms from torqen, i went for these arms as they were one of the cheapest haha, and chris forsburg runs this brand on his comp cars so can't be too bad.

IMG_4772_zpso23gawbd.jpg

hopefully these will stop this happening to my tires........

IMG_4525_zpszuq9l2qk.jpg

Christmas was very kind to me this year... thanks to my pretty awesome girlfriend, she had been doing some research and digging into what i really wanted (apart from lynx, socks and chocolate) and she ordered me a Parts shop max super angle kit from the states!!!!!!!! F**king awesome!

IMG_4770_zpsq1chr34x.jpg

i can't wait to get this fitted and have some decent lock! (example of same kit)

f5e7255c-b748-475f-a516-a21874bede7e_zpsemc3fnq2.jpg

With the lock kit i need some extended tie rods so went for some tein ones

IMG_4773_zps4vgbomsg.jpg

Im not sure if i have mentioned before about my driftworks front camber arms, but ill say it again.... once fitted i took the car for a run down the road and something was knocking :( later found out it was the rose joints on the camber arms, turns out driftworks just throw shitty rose joints on them, very annoying!!! after speaking to them about it, they said they had just released a brand new better quality rose joint for all camber arms and they were offering a free replacement on any arms sold over the last two years, so this soothed my anger. they look alot better than the old ones and will hopefully sort the knock.

IMG_4774_zpsirsqgdgj.jpg

At the moment i have all these parts sat in my room not fitted, mainly because ill need a full alignment after fitting, im getting my friend martin to fit the lock kit as its very adjustable and looks quite tricky to set up, and he has done a set before so knows exactly what hes doing, he can also align my car so its all getting done at his place in the next week or so! exciting times!

Unfortunately the other day i decided to drive over a load of rocks in the middle of the road...... the exhaust turned strangely loud and was down on power, jacked up the car to find it had done this to my Y pipe

IMG_4767_zpsxy7zqa92.jpg

in all fairness the y pipe was pretty shagged anyway from my car being low, but the rocks had truly finished it off, so off that came

IMG_4768_zpsgufopqxa.jpg

ive ordered a cheap replacement for now as my money needs to be put towards other things at the moment, should arrive tommorow and ill get that fitted along with some new exhaust tweaks that ill be doing this week.

350z_y_pipe_1_zpstc1z4cju.jpg

new y pipe i have ordered.

thats all for now till i get all this stuff fitted, will post some photos of the lock kit fitted as it should be pretty epic!

next up mods wise is probably going to be dropping the subframe and renewing bushes etc. might be looking at some new wheels too as im not sure if my 10.5 et-5 is going to work with my lock kit, got a few ideas in the pipeline but we shall see.

Forgot to mention, had a drift day at santa pod in December, although it was wet and struggled with grip had an awesome day, car performed faultlessly all day.

next drift day will probably be the probably be the spring matsuri in march, unless i get a ticked for the 3 sister day in February. will have all my new stuff fitted then so will be interesting!

• Like 1

thanks guys! means allot. as everyone knows allot of effort goes into our cars and its nice to have kind words about it!

bit of an update..... went to fit my new y pipe tonight, the bolts were so rusty where the cat joins i had to just cut them off, i tried everything, power, a nut splitting device to no avail, i had the plan to drill the old studs out on the cats and just use normal bolts. the metal is so hard though, i used a 3mm drill bit to put a pilot hole in an then tried to use a 10mm bit to get the actual hole, but i need to work my way up to the 10mm as it wasnt biting the metal, so il sort that out tommorow.

also will be welding a silencer back into my exhaust as the novelty has definitly worn off haha.

im also booked in with martin richards to fit all my arms and lock kit on wednesday :) so ill update again after that is fitted.

im just uploading a video from drift matsuri to youtube so ill post that when its done.