stance queen turned drift/street car

dougie350

So good to see someone actually putting a bit of time into a 350Z as a driftcar, toplad on making it look nice as well - too many E36 rustboxes about these days for my liking. :yawn:

No, its not a "missile", its a shitter.

Watched your vid and youve definitely got the skills, only thing Id say would be push for a little more speed and a bit more aggression - try a bigger flick before entry, from watching your front wheels youve got more angle in the bank most of the time, try and use more of the track as well.

Im guessing youre running a welder rather than a 2 way and I think its holding you back, at 0:31 and 0:43 with a 2 way you would have been hard on the throttle to get more angle, with a 3 way it looks like youre almost having to feather throttle to keep balance. I know its a lot of money but a Nismo GT Pro would give you sooooo much more control its unreal, you probably wouldnt have lost the manji either so would have saved on a paintjob ;):lol:

Keep up the good work and keep posting vids man :teeth:

So good to see someone actually putting a bit of time into a 350Z as a driftcar, toplad on making it look nice as well - too many E36 rustboxes about these days for my liking. :yawn:

No, its not a "missile", its a shitter.

Watched your vid and youve definitely got the skills, only thing Id say would be push for a little more speed and a bit more aggression - try a bigger flick before entry, from watching your front wheels youve got more angle in the bank most of the time, try and use more of the track as well.

Im guessing youre running a welder rather than a 2 way and I think its holding you back, at 0:31 and 0:43 with a 2 way you would have been hard on the throttle to get more angle, with a 3 way it looks like youre almost having to feather throttle to keep balance. I know its a lot of money but a Nismo GT Pro would give you sooooo much more control its unreal, you probably wouldnt have lost the manji either so would have saved on a paintjob ;):lol:

Keep up the good work and keep posting vids man :teeth:

Thanks mate, yeh it was really annoying at matsuri cus I had loads of camber and really struggled to put any power down to get some decent forwards momentum, once I have full tyre contact I'll be a lot more aggressive with entries etc ( hopefully) I set myself a challenge at matsuri and that was just too link the track, which I did most times but at fairly weak angle, by the time if got more comfortable with the track the day was over unfortunately, there's always next time, and I'll be full attack mode then :)

Haha yeh I've been looking at diffs and do agree that a decent diff would help a lot, but at this moment in time the funds are not there for a diff, maybe in time! Haha yeh saving the paint would have been nice.

What are you driving now out of interest mate, as I know you sold your z?

Ive got a 135i thats running about 430hp with M3 footwork, its a weapon but the diff is is terrible, its one of these e-diff things that decides when to lock and unlock all on its own which totally lets it down on track. Ive got an M3 diff to go on and I might do a bit of a slidey slidey day after that, its a bit nice to use regularly though.

Fair play on the camber, that explains a lot - if youre only using half the tyre then heroics are probably best left in the locker, I can see once youve got it sorted youll be flying though. Show them what a 350Z can do :D

• Like 1

Ive got a 135i thats running about 430hp with M3 footwork, its a weapon but the diff is is terrible, its one of these e-diff things that decides when to lock and unlock all on its own which totally lets it down on track. Ive got an M3 diff to go on and I might do a bit of a slidey slidey day after that, its a bit nice to use regularly though.

Fair play on the camber, that explains a lot - if youre only using half the tyre then heroics are probably best left in the locker, I can see once youve got it sorted youll be flying though. Show them what a 350Z can do :D

ohh now that does sound fun! 430bhp in a little 1 series YES!!! yeh ive heard about those e diffs, will be awesome when you put the m3 diff in though! haha yeh, next event is drift matsuri at rockingham so ill get lots of footage and hopefully lots of speed and angle too :teeth:

Well it's been a busy week for the car, finally got the lock kit on and OMG! It's insane, more lock than I imagined. It all went on pretty well, the old arms were a bit of a pig to get off but it is a 13 year old Nissan so that was expected. Originally I was going to use the tein rods that I had bought but there wasn't going to be enough thread over lap so ended up using s14 rods and trimming them down the right size (my tein rods will be up for sale in the next few days if anyone's interested) so that sorted that problem. Along with the kit going on we replaced the rose joints on the drift works arms too and so far so good the play from the old joints has gone, but I have noticed that the locking collars on the camber arms seems to keep coming loose :-/ which is a bit annoying, so going to have to look into this further. As we went to fit the new toe arms I found out that one of my rear camber arms has bent 😡 so still couldn't get the alignment I wanted. I planned on getting as close to 0 camber as possible but as the rear arm was bent could only shave just over 1 degree off so it sits at about -2.4 now, a little better for grip but still not perfect. Front camber is now at -5 degrees which is a bit more than I wanted but the lock kit widens the track a lot more so needed to tuck the wheels back into the arch, I still need to roll the arches more, but the fitment is spot on. I can't remember the full allignment specs but I'll find out later in the week when I go back to roll the arches and will update. I'm sure your all intreagued to see the results of the kit so here it is

image_zpsh5eet4x4.jpg

😱😱😱

Unfortunately my xxrs where never going to fit under the arches, being 10.5j and essentially et-5 with the spacer to clear brakes so had to buy new front wheels, they do a 9j on the wheels I have got but they look terrible so I opted for something different.

After a lot of browsing I went for a fairly new brand of wheels, some 7 twenty style 49 in matte bronze, 9.5j et18, but they don't clear the brakes at all, even with the 25mm spacer it still just rubbed so had to add another 5mm slip on, so effectively they are 9.5 et-12.

I'm really liking these wheels, loads of dish for a 9.5 (I think 4.35 inches) and the bronze really goes with the car. I will be ordering a pair of rears too which will be 10.5j et18 and with a 25mm spacer.

image_zpskv5du2vr.jpg

I will get some more pics and update later in the week, once it goes back to the unit to get the arches rolled, I'll get some decent photos of the lock kit fitted and pics of the wheels on the car etc.

Let me know what you think everyone 😃

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

had a chance to test out the lock kit last friday at drift elite and oh my god! its amazing feels really smooth and tonnes of lock literally cant fault it, had to roll the arches quite alot as it widens the track alot and i still wanted to run my car low, the adjustments to the rear camber have made alot of difference too, much more grippy on the back, i still want to remove some of the negative camber but die to the rear camber arms being bent we could only go so far, going to speak to driftworks this week and see if they can replace on warranty. im really liking my new 7 twenty wheels, they go with the car really well, just have to wait till i sell my xxrs till i can get the rears to match. going to go for a 10.5 et15 on the back and still run the 25mm spacer.

this is how the car stands now

IMG_4826_zpsd2nuuegy.jpg

when you park your car on lock and it looks broken B)

IMG_4828_zpsepqmos57.jpg

my brake pads are running fairly low so ive ordered some replacements for those, only standard brembo ones but should do the job, the disks are pretty good but i might be upgrading to some drilled and grooved ones next month.

not quite sure whats next on the agenda, still want to sort the geo out and dial things in a bit more, im also looking at a rear diffuser, side diffusers and a wing of some sort...... will keep you all updated :)

• Like 1

I was looking at the first picture going mad inside my head thinking 'his tyres are on the wrong way round!' Then realised it was the correct way round in the later picture and the wheel was probably chucked on for a test fit in the first pic :lol: Look sweet though, I kinda wish they did those xxr's in 19" for mine

• Like 2

Haha yeh just for test for dude! Cheers man! Yeh 19s would help a lot with running low!

Nah 18s FTW

When you fit the tie rods did you get a new rubber boot or did the old one refit?

I love 18s but holy @*!# my car scrapes on everything haha! I just re used the old boot dude

• Like 1

Scrapes just love kisses

So what's next after the new rear wheels plans wise?

haha it doesnt sound like love kisses alot of the time! not too sure man, front of my cage is getting finished in april, i want some skirt diffusers and a rear diffuser and then maybe look into wings....... and eventually some kind of graphics for those japan feels!

Scrapes just love kisses

So what's next after the new rear wheels plans wise?

haha it doesnt sound like love kisses alot of the time! not too sure man, front of my cage is getting finished in april, i want some skirt diffusers and a rear diffuser and then maybe look into wings....... and eventually some kind of graphics for those japan feels!

Cover it in blackboard paint and doodle, dare you.

All sounds awesome and you need rear wheel pics soon, meant to PM you about the cage actually I sent Huxley a message but didn't get a reply.