stance queen turned drift/street car

dougie350

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure it's not legal, doesn't it have to be fixed onto the allocated fixing point on a car if one is given? (I.E the front number plate holder.)

I can't see it landing you in massive trouble but you might end up with a ticket and a trip to the police station to prove it's been fixed.

Cheers guys! Yeh I've been contemplating a jdm rear bumper and front plate! Is having the plate in the window legal?

its only illegal when they pull you over. i have it done in mine here in Slovenia and there pretty strick but never had an issue, its still visable.

• 3 months later...

hello everyone, thought id update my build thread as its been a long time since i last did and have had quite a few changes...Ive never done a build thread on a car so bear with me, ill try to make it all make sense aha!

my original plan when i bought the z was to keep do a few subtle mods and keep it as a nice daily car and keep my e46 for drifting.... well that didnt last very long, it started off as just having a little play around roundabouts as and when i felt like it then it dawned on me that it was too much fun in the z..... so the plan changed

i decided to sell my e46 and put the money into my z to make capable drift car ( not competition level) for practice days wherever, my car was already on coilovers so that part was sorted. although it had an lsd i felt it wasnt for me, ive always been used to a welded diff and a snazzy 2 way was out of the question at this stage so next step was to get it welded up, i was pretty happy about how the diff came off, did not take long at all, and was far easier to take out that my e46's.

IMG_3997_zpsilufjcr8.jpg

I like the sound of 350z's in stock form, but i wanted something really lairy, i went to my local exhaust shop and decided i wanted to straight pipe my z ( yes i said straight pipe) they tried telling me that it was going to be too loud and unbearable but i still wanted it, they had already done a silencer delete on it so it was just a case of chopping the back box off and fabricating something to my liking, id decided to go for something a bit different so i went for a shotgun exit with slashed tips, they done a fantastic job, really well made and the sound....... its pretty insane! ill try to upload a video at some point but they really dont do it justice, it gets so many comments about it and im always getting people ask me if ive done an engine swap haha!

IMG_4203_zps8ukqne41.jpg

I decided to book myself on to a santa pod practice day back in april, this was going to be my first drift day in the car,and my 2nd drift day ever, the car was all pretty standard apart from the diff and coilovers, but i have to say it was plenty capable and didn't skip a beat all day! i was really happy with the power/torque and handling, it was easily 3rd gearing the top long corner at pod, i was managing to link the whole track too which i was pretty happy about! there were also many compliments about the sound/scream of my car.

IMG_4010_zpslc6i8llz.jpg

As well as i thought the car had performed at pod, theres always room for improvement! so i decided to treat myself to a few bits

first up was a set of seats.. the leather ones in the car were not so supportive so a set of fixed back buckets was on the cards. i picked them up locally from a guy i used to go to school with so that made life alot easier, £300 later i had some nice sparco corsa seats.

IMG_3999_zpsiijht92l.jpg

next up was a dished steering wheel from the guys at driftworks, my z had all the gadgets on the wheel so i had to sacrifice these things but i felt it was worth it as the new wheel is alot nicer to drift with. its only a basic dished suede wheel but it does the job. with that i was going to need a wheel boss, me being me i thought id try out a cheap ebay special to just see if it would fit it was £19 and it turned out to be a waste of £19 and its still sat in my room, aparently they fit 200sx's ?????? so if anybody wants it, its theirs! so yeh after wasting that money i bought a proper hkb boss, again from driftworks and no problems with that one.

although i was happy with my driving at pod, i struggled to scrub speed off after the long top corner into a sharp/shorter corner, id spoken to a few people about it and they suggested a few things which i did try (left foot braking, handbrake etc) but the main suggestion was to get a hydro.... i never had one in my e46 and got on fine without one, but i did feel like it would have been really handy in situations like this. i know i should probably learn other ways first but i like toys so ended up going for a obp one with a .625 master cylinder.

IMG_3989_zpsd73fr2bj.jpg

I bought my z as a low milage standard, well looked after and full service history car, so although its turned into my drifter it still needs to be looked after, so i decided to give it a good service (oils, filters etc) i plan on changing the oil every two drift days.

The local car club im in (j-poc) host an event twice a year for charity called racewars, its a drift/drag event and its on an old airfield near worcester. the first event of the year (may) was coming up so i booked on without hesitation. at the time i hadnt fitted any of the new stuff i had bought apart from the steering wheel so my car was the same as it was at pod, the track was a pretty basic set up as it was designed for drag races too.. so it was a case of manji's up to the end of the runway and then a right or left around a cone and manji back to the start! althought the setup was simple it was good fun and any seat time is good in my eyes! the car drove faultlessly all day.

Although i love my rotas 12j on the back is not ideal for me, id seen some wheels that i really liked (xxr 526's) i had been trying to find a set for ages but couldnt find anything as they had all been sold out and wernt expecting delivery till later in the year, luckily i found a set on driftworks classified! they were the exact sizes i wanted 18x10.5 et20 all round so i snatched them up!

IMG_4142_zpsu0rsa0vj.jpg

When i test fit the wheels the backs went on fine but when i went to fit the fronts due to the offset of the wheels they didnt clear the brembo's so spacers were next. i tryed a few friends spacers to figure what size i would need and to my suprise a 25mm spacer later they finally cleared. i decided to get 25mm all round for any fitment issues.

IMG_4186_zps6wtkk1s7.jpg

So now the wheels are basically 10.5 et-5 so they have a fair bit of poke, but im happy with the way they look :)

wheelss_zps80lcwxko.jpg

With the wheels design the old nuts from my original rays alloys wouldnt fit so i got some nice slimline internal drive bolts in an oil slick colour, they compliment the chrome/black wheels nicely.

Id had enough of my seats sitting in my room looking pretty thought it was about time to get some seat frames, i found some fixed frames on ebay and a friend donated some sliders to me, so in went the seats.

IMG_4202_zpshcdzprt9.jpg

With my deep dish steering wheel and bucket seats it made getting out the car a bit awkward so a snap off boss was a must. a good friend of mine started making his own gear sticks too, so he kindly made me a longer shifter made out of english walnut, it doesnt quite suit the rest of the interior but future plans involve a nicer wooden nardi so all in good time.

seats_zpsqzfrvhua.jpg

Although i havnt been spending my money on true performance parts im really happy on the progress and look of my car, next on the agenda is definitely a set of camber arms as im only getting about half the use of tread whilst drifting. i also still havnt fitted my hydro as i didnt know where to mount it, but another member kindly took some pics of his setup to show me, so that will be going in soon too. i have so many ideas for the car but like everyone else money/time is always against me so all in good time! hopefully the next big job is a full colour change to black and centres of the wheels to go gold keeping the polished lip, its something ive wanted for a long time and with my friend opening his new paint/body work shop its made this goal alot more achievable, im hoping to have this done in the next few months so ill keep you updated.

my next driftday is at the end of the month, its in shropshire and its another airfeild but with a dedicated drift track layout, this is where i had my first day in my e46 so itll be nice to drive it for the first time with my z. may even have camber arms by then so will get full use of the 2 tyres i can fit in the boot ;)

this is a picture of the car how it stands now......

3fiddyz_zpsplz00qdu.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good out there if you serious about doing drifting in get a 2way full recommend it

yes its something that i plan on doing alot more, correct me if im wrong but i cant see any massive gains from a 2way from a welder?

Looking good out there if you serious about doing drifting in get a 2way full recommend it

yes its something that i plan on doing alot more, correct me if im wrong but i cant see any massive gains from a 2way from a welder?

Meh its debatable i havent had a welder so cant say but speaking with bizz and Ross Gregory at the weekend the both had the opinion if you can get a 2way get it, as its alot more progressive and less snappy than a welder hopefully me a dedman can compare a bit at donnington

Meh its debatable i havent had a welder so cant say but speaking with bizz and Ross Gregory at the weekend the both had the opinion if you can get a 2way get it, as its alot more progressive and less snappy than a welder hopefully me a dedman can compare a bit at donnington

ah right ok, whats happening at donnington?