Viewed/Test drove my first 370z at a Nissan dealership....

Diab2005

I've been looking for a 370z in the region of 14k for the last few months but my insurance is coming up for renewal in February so the search has become a bit more serious recently.

Today I went to a Nissan dealership who had a Feb 2011 registered zed up with 29k miles on clock for 16.5k. I went with the hope that I could get them down from 16.5k to 14k...didn't really have any luck and left a bit unsure about whether to continue my search or not.

I loved the look of it however the test drive was the part which surprised/let me down a bit. I felt myself comparing it to my current 350 which has a cobra exhaust on it as well as JWT pop charger so the sound was instantly a minus on the check list (I kind of expected this however as it's fairly obvious). The salesman didnt have a clue about anything. Someone on the forum told me to go with any 370 2010+ as it has the upgraded satnav? I asked the salesman this and he said he doesnt think it had it and that they would only be in 2013+ models...any light on this people? The guy also mentioned there was no sub in the 370 is this correct?

The drive was probably the biggest disappointment I felt a loss in terms of the handling and enjoyment I get from the 350z; I didnt get that feeling where you can feel the back end pulling round the corner..the 370 seemed to be alot more "grounded" if that's the right word. It was smoother but yet disappointingly safer somehow. The clutch was lighter which the salesman kept telling me was a good thing however it just wasn't my 350z's heavy clutch which I have grown to know and love.

I left feeling like maybe I didnt want a 370z and that I need to look elsewhere but somehow I feel disloyal to the zed brand after how much I have enjhoyed 350z ownership.

I'm interested to hear what any 370 owners (Previosu 350z owners) have to say about their experience with owning one and if they have been happy with it overall - pluses and minuses.

All comments appreciated as always guys :D

P.S The salesman came back with a ridiculous part ex figure for my car and wouldn't move at all on their sales price....effectively I failed on knocking 2.5k off the asking price...I didn't even get £2.50 off it :blush:

Edited by Diab2005

If it was 2010 onwards then it would have the upgraded satnav.

Surprizing how many dealer salesman know sweet FA about the car models they are selling.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your test drive.

Different tyres and a aftermarket exhaust is a must do mod on a stock 370z. If your in wiltshire your welcome to test drive mine. ;)

• Like 1

Can't comment on the 350 comparison as I've never driven one but the salesman was wrong about the sat nav. The updated sat nav appears in the 2010+ models. There are easy ways to check. If it has touch screen, post code search and a USB port in the cubby between the seats, it's the newer version.

• Like 1

I know mate it was ridiculous sooo many questions I asked his response was ermmmm I don't know. I asked him if it had a sub...errmmmm I dont know...does it have a BOSE system....ermmm not sure....upgraded sat nav....dunno....BHP?....Ill check my computer hahahaaa

Nightmare!!! Yea what exhaust would you recommend a lot of people seem to go with Stillen? Is there anything out there similar to Cobra for the 350?

Nice one for the test drive offer pal...up in Chester but ill deff hit you up if im down that end B)

Can't comment on the 350 comparison as I've never driven one but the salesman was wrong about the sat nav. The updated sat nav appears in the 2010+ models. There are easy ways to check. If it has touch screen, post code search and a USB port in the cubby between the seats, it's the newer version.

Nice....I want a Nismo...so jealous

Premium Connect was introduced early in 2010 - same system since then.

As you (like most of us on here) want a sports car to sound like one - first thing you do is ditch the OEM system for an aftermarket one - lots of choices out there. Then just keep the synchro rev on and the sound is transformed. Don't waste you money on pop chargers - they are known to reduce BHP.

The sub is in the boot (where the spare wheel normally hides).

Think you were more than a tad ambitious expecting to get a 2011 370 with less than 30k miles for 14k. For a dealer their price is quite reasonable IMO.

Having had two 350's and then the 370, personally I found the drive just as rewarding and the updated cabin much improved. Style, well the 350's are iconic and not sure the 370 will ever match the 350's in that regard but their comparative rareity for me was a bonus. My 370 ownership was one of the longest I have kept a car and I would have kept it had the need for 4 seats and a hatch not demanded a change.

Quite honestly, it sounds like you had a useless salesman who didn't know what he was selling or could show what the car offered. The only thing I think he got right, from what you said, was sticking to the price being asked - sorry, but 370 prices (if the car is sound) have not dropped as far as you were hoping.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

You wont get a connect premium model with that budget

Save an extra £2k and youl be fine..

But to be fair its not essential as they still drive the same..

Cant believe you thought that they would let you off £2500 lool! Your at a main dealer not a back street garage

Good luck with the hunt

I know mate it was ridiculous sooo many questions I asked his response was ermmmm I don't know. I asked him if it had a sub...errmmmm I dont know...does it have a BOSE system....ermmm not sure....upgraded sat nav....dunno....BHP?....Ill check my computer hahahaaa

Nightmare!!! Yea what exhaust would you recommend a lot of people seem to go with Stillen? Is there anything out there similar to Cobra for the 350?

Nice one for the test drive offer pal...up in Chester but ill deff hit you up if im down that end B)

I'll be up your way for Wales 2015 come along its a great weekend.

As for exhausts too many options to list. It all depends on your budget.

The Stillen has a great sound but I went for invidia & berk HFC's. I'm more than happy with my set up / sound.

The 370 is a different drive to the 350.

The 350 feels like a go-cart in comparison at first as the 370 is much more grown up.

It really comes into its own once you have a few miles in it under your belt and you find out how hard you can push.

Coupled with the lack of noise it can feel a bit tame but its deceptive.

it pulls like a train and just keeps going all the way to the red line...

The 370 is not as raw as the 350 and the feedback is a lot more subtle which is why it can feel disappointing at first if you are use to a 350.

I didn't get this on my first test drive as it had an after market exhaust and an intake kit.

However my second test drive was stock and the senses were a bit dulled down.

Dont let this put you off.

An invidia, takeda cold intake, and sports cats makes it a different car.

I know the sound should not make a difference to how it drives but it just does. :lol:

• Like 2

The 370 is a different drive to the 350.

The 350 feels like a go-cart in comparison at first as the 370 is much more grown up.

It really comes into its own once you have a few miles in it under your belt and you find out how hard you can push.

Coupled with the lack of noise it can feel a bit tame but its deceptive.

it pulls like a train and just keeps going all the way to the red line...

The 370 is not as raw as the 350 and the feedback is a lot more subtle which is why it can feel disappointing at first if you are use to a 350.

I didn't get this on my first test drive as it had an after market exhaust and an intake kit.

However my second test drive was stock and the senses were a bit dulled down.

Dont let this put you off.

An invidia, takeda cold intake, and sports cats makes it a different car.

I know the sound should not make a difference to how it drives but it just does. :lol:

This quote, as well as all the others have definitely got me wanting more 370z action. It's exactly the insight I was after, thanks guys....gonna get back out there and keep searching I have the extra 2k there but was wanting to wrap it (I've posted about this previously) so was saving it for that maybe ill just spend the 16k on a black edition if it comes up.

The 2011 models are starting to appear now for that price range, I believe due to the new plates coming up in March. I've been watching all sites for over 4 months in anticipation for the perfect upgrade :D

Edited by Diab2005

Premium Connect was introduced early in 2010 - same system since then.

As you (like most of us on here) want a sports car to sound like one - first thing you do is ditch the OEM system for an aftermarket one - lots of choices out there. Then just keep the synchro rev on and the sound is transformed. Don't waste you money on pop chargers - they are known to reduce BHP.

The sub is in the boot (where the spare wheel normally hides).

Think you were more than a tad ambitious expecting to get a 2011 370 with less than 30k miles for 14k. For a dealer their price is quite reasonable IMO.

Having had two 350's and then the 370, personally I found the drive just as rewarding and the updated cabin much improved. Style, well the 350's are iconic and not sure the 370 will ever match the 350's in that regard but their comparative rareity for me was a bonus. My 370 ownership was one of the longest I have kept a car and I would have kept it had the need for 4 seats and a hatch not demanded a change.

Quite honestly, it sounds like you had a useless salesman who didn't know what he was selling or could show what the car offered. The only thing I think he got right, from what you said, was sticking to the price being asked - sorry, but 370 prices (if the car is sound) have not dropped as far as you were hoping.

Hope that helps.

Great post Colin. :)

I was about to reply but flyboy has summed up my points perfectly.

I loved my 350, the noise and the raw handling it was great. I test drove a 370 and was underwhelmed, the stock exhaust was a big let down, there was no noise. I then had a 370 loan car for 2 weeks, it was not my choice of colour, it was an auto and again had the stock exhaust. At the end of the 2 weeks I wanted my 350 back.

But something kept niggling at me. I loved the side profile, the wheels, the cabin, took a trip in guns with a stillen and realised what the car could be. I went for it and it was definitely the right decision. It is a different experience, it felt like it has a huge well of power there and with a proper exhaust sounds great but you are aware of more technology between you and the road so as flyboy said its not so raw.

I recommend take one out for a longer drive and go in one with a non stock exhaust and you won't look back. But you will need to increase your budget

• Like 1

I'm about the worst person to ask for a comparison

Last 350z had 450+ HP and was Awesome

Replacement 370z has about 440HP so not what you would call disappointing :lol:

I would say the 370 is probably a bit quicker in stock trim on a track but it does feel different to the stock 350. The drive is, as said above, not as raw in the 370 but still good and they can still scare you with how quickly they can get up a good speed and still have more in reserve,

I have just fitted lowering springs and the ARB's just arrived as I think the 370 needs a little stiffening up.

Defo get another test drive :thumbs:

• Like 2

I was about to reply but flyboy has summed up my points perfectly.

I loved my 350, the noise and the raw handling it was great. I test drove a 370 and was underwhelmed, the stock exhaust was a big let down, there was no noise. I then had a 370 loan car for 2 weeks, it was not my choice of colour, it was an auto and again had the stock exhaust. At the end of the 2 weeks I wanted my 350 back.

But something kept niggling at me. I loved the side profile, the wheels, the cabin, took a trip in guns with a stillen and realised what the car could be. I went for it and it was definitely the right decision. It is a different experience, it felt like it has a huge well of power there and with a proper exhaust sounds great but you are aware of more technology between you and the road so as flyboy said its not so raw.

I recommend take one out for a longer drive and go in one with a non stock exhaust and you won't look back. But you will need to increase your budget

+1

And in addition to increasing your budget for the car itself you'll need in the region of an additional £1k for the exhaust, unless you're lucky enough to find one that already has an aftermarket system.

Edited by sipar69

I've never driven the 350 but have the 370z I wasn't quite happy until I had the cobra fitted then had the upRev and then roll bars now I love it is just right now

ah, good post - I'm in a similar situation although I'm happy with it, week 2 of ownership. I'm getting used to it still and just took it out for a lap around the countryside and was thinking of options/improvements.

Mine's a standard 2011 gt. Is that all you needed done from standard to be happy? What's the recommended roll bars? I'm thinking of going a custom exhaust though from Pro-Speed Exhausts after finding them on this site.

Edited by chips