Halfords tool chest - Should I buy one?

richard.hezlett

As title says I'm thinking of buying a tool chest. Living across the pond in Northern Ireland restricts my range ( carriage costs ). With all this in mind I noticed Halfords have deals on most of their tool chests. The one I had in mind was the Industrial 6 drawer cabinet and 6 drawer chest for approx £270 ( using a 10% discount code ). This is their top of range model so hopefully quality etc would be reasonable. Looking for any advice or experiences.

Regards Richard

Hello Rich, imo I'd say Halfords "Professional" brand or "Industrial" brand products are very good and definitely good value for what you get.

I have a Halfords Professional tool chest with 7 drawers which is very good and tbh when I bought mine I thought about getting the Industrial version but imo it would have been overkill.

The Industrial tool chests can hold something like 25-35kg per draw which even in my work place we just don't need. The professional one I have at home is capable of holding around 20kg per draw so more than enough for the fairly substantial amount of equipment I have in my garage. As I said the Industrial version is just overkill.

Not sure if they have different offers on in their Irish branches but looking online for £249 you can get a Halfords Professional 5 draw cabinet, 7 draw chest and 4 draw chest bundle which would be more than enough space for most mechanics/home DIYers etc.

Link: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/tool-chests-tool-boxes/halfords-professional-5-drawer-cabinet-7-drawer--chest-and-4-drawer-chest-bundle?cm_re=banner-_-motoring+Pages-_-profundwithinter%22title=%22Tool

If I was you I'd be looking at the Professional tool chest/cabinets and get something from that range. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hello Rich, imo I'd say Halfords "Professional" brand or "Industrial" brand products are very good and definitely good value for what you get.

I have a Halfords Professional tool chest with 7 drawers which is very good and tbh when I bought mine I thought about getting the Industrial version but imo it would have been overkill.

The Industrial tool chests can hold something like 25-35kg per draw which even in my work place we just don't need. The professional one I have at home is capable of holding around 20kg per draw so more than enough for the fairly substantial amount of equipment I have in my garage. As I said the Industrial version is just overkill.

Not sure if they have different offers on in their Irish branches but looking online for £249 you can get a Halfords Professional 5 draw cabinet, 7 draw chest and 4 draw chest bundle which would be more than enough space for most mechanics/home DIYers etc.

Link: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/tool-chests-tool-boxes/halfords-professional-5-drawer-cabinet-7-drawer--chest-and-4-drawer-chest-bundle?cm_re=banner-_-motoring+Pages-_-profundwithinter%22title=%22Tool

If I was you I'd be looking at the Professional tool chest/cabinets and get something from that range. :thumbs:

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your comments regarding the Professional range. I'll have to availability as p&p for delivery is another £40. On a DIY basis do u find them worth the money or just something that is nice to have. I know I have lots of small toolboxes full of tools and a cabinet would hopefully get everything in the one place.

Regards Richard.

Thanks for the link. They look very impressive.

I used to use a cantilever tool box for most of my tools with the rest scattered around in various plastic tubs. Getting the tool chest was definitely a great decision as now everything is in one place with no more head scratching about where I last left that pin punch etc.

I'm a bit OCD so have now been able to arrange everything easily for me to find; screwdrivers in one draw, hammers/cutting knives & saws in one draw, imperial sockets in one draw, metric sockets in another etc etc :D

I'd say go for it if you can as it such a pleasure now using my tools plus I'm less likely to lose things.

Fyi ~ If you can get hold of a "trade card" from a friend or nice local garage mechanic then the price of these tool chests/cabinets will be nicely reduced. My professional 7 draw was £149 rrp but by using my trade card it came down to £70! I looked at a professional 9 draw but the money off wasn't as good but still there are big savings to be made if you have someone that can lend you a trade card. ;)

• Like 1

I understand the attraction of nice 'professional' kit, (not sure this helps) but at the other end of the tool drawer spectrum, I impulse bought a cheap Chinese self assemble drawer/cabinet in clearance at B&Q last year for under £50 - it's been great and much better than the million tools boxes that used to clutter my garage :thumbs:

Just bought one of these, as my garage is like a grenade range, I'm hoping that this will make a marked difference. At the moment I've got plastic containers, buckets and an old pail for storage. Only the one tool chest which is overflowing to the point of not being able to close the doors properly.

I'll let you know how it 'performs'

I have the Professional 2 piece bundle from Halfords, Richard and I have nothing bad to say about it. I've had a nose at the Industrial ones and they are better quality than mine and I like the drawer locking mechanism with the handles.

When I bought mine I got the 25(?) piece spanner set free along with the top and bottom chests, whereas now they are offering a 3 chest bundle for £250 which I think is a bargain.

I say go for it, they have very good warranties and if anything does happen to break, Halfords is only down the road and seem very good with replacing faulty items.

• Like 1

I say Snap On tool boxs are the best but pricey ,they will however last a lifetime if looked after

Sadly a toolbox that size will be what........about a grand?

I'd like a Ferrari but my Astra has to do! :lol:

I'm thinking about £1500, not even comparable IMO.

Bit like Beta boxes, they're awesome, but stupidly dear.

Any idea of the differences between the toolboxes marked at £150 (132) and the one at £180 (145) on eBay.

Any idea of the differences between the toolboxes marked at £150 (132) and the one at £180 (145) on eBay.

Just noticed top box is bigger on dearer one.

I have the Professional 2 piece bundle from Halfords, Richard and I have nothing bad to say about it. I've had a nose at the Industrial ones and they are better quality than mine and I like the drawer locking mechanism with the handles.

When I bought mine I got the 25(?) piece spanner set free along with the top and bottom chests, whereas now they are offering a 3 chest bundle for £250 which I think is a bargain.

I say go for it, they have very good warranties and if anything does happen to break, Halfords is only down the road and seem very good with replacing faulty items.

Good point there Kyle ~ pretty sure it's a lifetime guarantee on all their Professional & Industrial products. B)