Orlando advice

StevoD

Well looks like i will be having my first trip to america this year, to the extremely touristy Orlando :dry: :lol: (not my choice)

​dont get me wrong im very excited happy to go but it looks like ill be spending 4-5 day in theme parks as one wants to do the happy potter stuff and one wants to Disney

has anyone thats been got and tips or tricks, like good restaurants etc worth visiting in the area or attraction which arnt so advertised worth going to, or things that are a must do, like i have heard old town in kissimmee have a large custom car meet most Saturdays

going to be out there for 10 days if all go well, would $100 per person per day be an accurate sum to work of for food and drink?

basically things to do things to avoid and any stupid stuff that i will probably forgot :D

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

I'm sure you'll get loads of advice from everyone on here, which is good. But I found that a book called, 'A Brits Guide To Florida', the most helpful.

It gave kind of, off the wall advice, go in an anti clockwise direction in the parks, put a bit of the psychology behind this to back it up. Get up in the Mustang WW2 fighter, you get a video of your time and within minutes you're at the controls.

Gives advice on timings for parks, days to avoid, buying park tickets, what types there are, contact numbers and directions, all sorts.

While there's nothing like recommendations on stuff people have done, this book lets you get it in your head, ready to rock as soon as you arrive

• Like 1

Loads of stuff on the net on this, Eating out is pretty cheap in the US so its pretty easy to get your head around things. Don't speed if you are driving and you can turn right on a red light if safe to do so My normal tactic is take advantage of huge breakfast's ! So Perkins chain for Orlando then carry some light snacks. Park Food is pretty pricey compared to outside and we would go to the parks then come out for a freshen up at the hotel grab a bite/rest then go back in later and stay until the park closes. You don't need to do it all in one day ! Some places do fill up especially if holiday period or weekends so you may need to book a table. Generally clothes are a lot cheaper than UK and I normally get my clothes out there and just take essentials. And remember to add the state tax. Try to see a sporting event as a bit of a change - I'm into Baseball so always see a game - the USA does organised sport like no other! Also the NASA tour is well worth the effort as you will need a break from the parks

I always load up on Zed stuff as well and don'f forget you can use your hotel address for deliveries !

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 1

Steve, when I went I put on about a good stone and a half, so I would defo trim down before you go, if like me you look at a burger and put on 5lbs.

I did all the rides etc but it was an eternity ago so no idea on budget. We did go down to the Keys and went to a restaurant where they tried to scam my credit card which was nice. so be mindful of those types of scams.

Have a good trip.

Edited by Flex
  • Like 1

Loads of stuff on the net on this, Eating out is pretty cheap in the US so its pretty easy to get your head around things. Don't speed if you are driving and you can turn right on a red light if safe to do so My normal tactic is take advantage of huge breakfast's ! So Perkins chain for Orlando then carry some light snacks. Park Food is pretty pricey compared to outside and we would go to the parks then come out for a freshen up at the hotel grab a bite/rest then go back in later and stay until the park closes. You don't need to do it all in one day ! Some places do fill up especially if holiday period or weekends so you may need to book a table. Generally clothes are a lot cheaper than UK and I normally get my clothes out there and just take essentials. And remember to add the state tax. Try to see a sporting event as a bit of a change - I'm into Baseball so always see a game - the USA does organised sport like no other! Also the NASA tour is well worth the effort as you will need a break from the parks

I always load up on Zed stuff as well and don'f forget you can use your hotel address for deliveries !

there is lots on the net but id rather info from people i trust :headhurt: :lol:

Does a motorsport event count as a organised event haha

When you say add state tax can you explain a little bit more please?

They dont put their VAT on their price tags so you have to add it on, whatever their rate is. Bizarre but must be some logic.

so if i want a bottle of water they put it on the shelf at $1

then when it comes to paying its $1.50

for example

Yip varies from state to state and you cannot claim it back like we do with GST/VAT refund

There's no MLB in Orlando - so the Rays in Tampa probably the closest but that about 3 hours OW so not a good use of time if restricted - NBA with Orlando Magic but BB is pricey due to the relatively small capacities vs Baseball. Never been to a Motorsport event in the US but Daytona is close to Orlando.

Yip varies from state to state and you cannot claim it back like we do with GST/VAT refund

There's no MLB in Orlando - so the Rays in Tampa probably the closest but that about 3 hours OW so not a good use of time if restricted - NBA with Orlando Magic but BB is pricey due to the relatively small capacities vs Baseball. Never been to a Motorsport event in the US but Daytona is close to Orlando.

id like to see a NBA games actually

but the dates where looking at Formula Drift is at orlando speedway

Food is not as cheap out there as it used to be. Sure, you get a good portion, but forget paying a few dollars for a burger and coke any more.

Restaurants (and I don't mean posh ones, just regular non-theme park ones) were coming out as between $80-$100 dollars for two, usual burger + drink + fries was around $12 in a park, and beer is about $8 in a park too. As far good restaurants go, you have to try The Melting Pot: It's a fondue place, and it's outstanding.

If it helps your cause, you will not do the Universal & Disney parks in 4-5 days. You can do bits of them, but definitely not all. What time of year are you going? If it were me, and assuming no kids are going, I'd prioritise:

Islands of Adventure

Universal Studios

Hollywood Studios

Busch Gardens (yes, it's worth the trek across)

NASA (as above, but the other direction!)

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are okay, but nowt special unless you have the little ones. Epcot is good too though.

We saw the Magic a couple of years back, it was a great evening out and I'd do it again. I'd love to go see the Dolphins too , but we always end up going in the off season now :(

Ah just seen you're going in June. Nice :)

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

Food is not as cheap out there as it used to be. Sure, you get a good portion, but forget paying a few dollars for a burger and coke any more.

Restaurants (and I don't mean posh ones, just regular non-theme park ones) were coming out as between $80-$100 dollars for two, usual burger + drink + fries was around $12 in a park, and beer is about $8 in a park too. As far good restaurants go, you have to try The Melting Pot: It's a fondue place, and it's outstanding.

If it helps your cause, you will not do the Universal & Disney parks in 4-5 days. You can do bits of them, but definitely not all. What time of year are you going? If it were me, and assuming no kids are going, I'd prioritise:

Islands of Adventure

Universal Studios

Hollywood Studios

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are okay, but nowt special unless you have the little ones. Epcot is good too though.

We saw the Magic a couple of years back, it was a great evening out and I'd do it again. I'd love to go see the Dolphins too , but we always end up going in the off season now :(

To add to that list

- Seaworld, was awesome! Rollercoaster - Kraken was awesome too!

- Water Parks - I can't remember which one I went to, but they are awesome compared to anything I'd been to before.

Chain buffet restaurant I'll always remember is - Ponderosa, You can have all you can eat Ice cream with choc chips and sprinkles, there was no sign telling me I couldn't fill up a container full of choc chips :lol:

Islands of Adventure

Universal Studios

Hollywood Studios

To add to that list

- Seaworld, was awesome! Rollercoaster - Kraken was awesome too!

- Water Parks - I can't remember which one I went to, but they are awesome compared to anything I'd been to before.

Chain buffet restaurant I'll always remember is - Ponderosa, You can have all you can eat Ice cream with choc chips and sprinkles, there was no sign telling me I couldn't fill up a container full of choc chips :lol:

Take a spare colon :lol:

WDW has introduced a wrist band system for on site hotel guests. It's very complex and uses a special App. It is the room key, credit card, fastpass access, and everything else. This system allows booking on site restaurants months in advance, and has of course done exactly this - they are all booked up! It's not done without a credit card reservation, but even so there are very few reservations left.......

This has caused more queues when checking into WDW on site hotels.

Basically they are trying to give more preference to those who stay in thier hotels.

Saw a couple of ZR1 FHP cars - no roof lights just ones on the dash/windscreen. Usual place just behind the freeway bridge!

imagejpg1_zps742d7cea.jpg

You get the idea....

Edited by Shenley

dates we are looking at is 3rd june-13th yea i know its going to majorly hot

so thinking something like

W 3rd - arrive get car etc

T 4th - Islands of Adventure

F 5th - Universal Studios

S 6th - Formula Drift

S 7th - Day out to Clearwaters Beach

M 8th - Busch Gardens

T 9th - Seaworld

W 10th - NASA

T 11th - Epcot

F 12th - Hollywood studios

S 13th - Fly home in evening

Ha ha Ponderosa..... eat as much as you like for minimal bucks. Loads to choose from, but it's not exactly quality.

Breakfast at Wendy's is great, if you want to get FAT for reasonable bucks.

I'm trying to think of the chain of restaurants that serve a CRACKING steak!...... erm.........Applebee's that's it..... stunning steak! http://www.applebees.com/

dates we are looking at is 3rd june-13th yea i know its going to majorly hot

so thinking something like

W 3rd - arrive get car etc

T 4th - Islands of Adventure

F 5th - Universal Studios

S 6th - Formula Drift

S 7th - Day out to Clearwaters Beach

M 8th - Busch Gardens

T 9th - Seaworld

W 10th - NASA

T 11th - Epcot

F 12th - Hollywood studios

S 13th - Fly home in evening

You WILL be knackered from THAT list!! :headhurt:

Oh yes and humidity, bloody hell, it's very uncomfortable. We went early August.

You'll be dead doing all that in that order!

Seriously, take a day break between parks: Go do some shopping, go to the beach, do something that doesn't involve you standing on your feet all day. You might have to sacrifice a park or two, but you'll have a much more enjoyable holiday.

It won't be that hot then it'll be pleasant. Try going in August with the humidity, that's much worse! :lol:

• Like 2

Get your tickets through a UK agency as they work out cheaper:

https://www.floridatix.com/

This one does decent quidco too.

You staying in a Villa or hotel? You can get Villas from £350 a week for a 4 bed detached with a prviate pool so worth looking into.

If you can make a trip down to Sanibel Island its definitely worth getting out of the Orlando bubble and seeing something a bit more real.

Edited by 370Ad

You'll be dead doing all that in that order!

Seriously, take a day break between parks: Go do some shopping, go to the beach, do something that doesn't involve you standing on your feet all day. You might have to sacrifice a park or two, but you'll have a much more enjoyable holiday.

It won't be that hot then it'll be pleasant. Try going in August with the humidity, that's much worse! :lol:

ok understood give me what you would do on them days people Formula drift cant be changed tho :lol:

Get your tickets through a UK agency as they work out cheaper:

https://www.floridatix.com/

This one does decent quidco too.

You staying in a Villa or hotel? You can get Villas from £350 a week for a 4 bed detached with a prviate pool so worth looking into.

If you can make a trip down to Sanibel Island its definitely worth getting out of the Orlando bubble and seeing something a bit more real.

see this is it wanna see real america well kinda i wanna see miami/the keys etc just my sister wants to harry potter land and my mother i know mother. since being a child always wanted to go disney world not for the rides for the place if that makes sense? and as it going to be a once in a lifetime thing for both of them so going to have to do it

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1