GUNS replacement

Ebized

Having done less than 500 miles in it Dan and still in the run-in period some way to go before I can, or more correctly, try to fully explore its limits.

But having had 2 scoobys and knowing their power/grip levels and as you say, good fun to drive on/near the limits, I'm kinda expecting the same with the '45.

As you know Dan, sideways on track is the not the quickest way round although the odd tail out is hard to resist :drive1 But as track work is not my thing I look for cars that give driving pleasure in varying ways - as fast as circumstances allow but always with safety in mind. As I found with the ZEDs their ability outshone mine and yes I had to conceed that the MPSS added another dimension to the 370's level of grip. In fact in the dry it became hard work to get the tail to let go in a controlled way - and I have to say that is where the Sesstanas were good as there were no nasty surprises and any oversteer (induced or otherwise) was easily controlled/corrected. But in the wet the MPSS were in a different league and and so you were right. :scare: What have I have just said :lol:

But take a look at this vid - I'm no Sutcliffe fan but its one of the better ones to show how an A45 performs.

And I think like you, I admire the technology in purpose designed drivers' cars and for me I see the '45 as a challenge and although I was very impressed with the test drive of the M135i, I simply could not come to terms with its looks and speccing that up to include a LSD and the 'necessary options' was topping 35k and with a few other niggles it wasn't to be. Did consider a Golf R, but VW reputation is pretty dire atm from what I have been reading so I very glad June could see where my heart was, and I hope my head. We shall see.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

But then having come from ZEDS, good handling has always been one of my priorities when buying cars I am finding the car to be a dream and with the AWD I just had a little play on an (empty) wet roundabout this morning and the grip is astonishing (even with out MPSS :lol:) and unlike the ZEDs you can boot it quite hard well before the exit with no drama.

Can I just pick your brains on this Colin?

I appreciate it's only very early days with the car so probably not a question that you can even answer really, but do you find having all that grip with no drama boring? I don't actually mean boring, I mean a word that's a bit softer than boring as clearly a car with that much pace isn't going to be boring, but you know what I mean hopefully!

What I'm getting at I think is whether a car that has a massive amount of grip and is ultimately incredibly quick is as rewarding as one with lower limits you can exploit at lower speeds. I know how much you appreciated the handling on all your Zeds, so I think you're ideally placed to comment on this. I'm not entirely sure where I sit myself, as I've had both ends of the spectrum in recent years with the Impreza and the MX5, and I don't really know which one was 'best'. Do you worry about it getting a trifle dull (again, not dull!) owning something where you have to be going a silly speed to be able to fully exploit a decent chassis, or is the ability to go round any corner at any speed enough?

Sorry if that's coming off as insulting at all, I really don't mean it to as I really like the car, I'm more coming from a philosophical viewpoint than anything. :)

I totally get what your saying!my pal has a evo 6 tme. and when we're out and he mashes his foot mid way out of a bend and is catapulted out the other side I get a little envy knowing if I did the same in the z I'd bit up the bushes backwards lol

Wow Colin! Surprised never knew you were letting Guns go!

Merc looks pretty cool and great colour, glad you found what you wanted!

We will need a new section in the club, former zed owners ,non-zed cars meets etc! ;-)

Knowing you, bet you showed the salesman how to drive it properly!

Enjoy it!