0-60 times anyone - FI ?

Pritchard

Afternoon,

unfortunately i cant search '0' or '60' in search as its too short. so sorry if this thread is a repeat.

just wondering if anyone has timed a 0-60 run on their turbo or SC setups?

i know everyone will be running different power levels and setups. but im just wondering what sort of launch speed people are getting.

thought i would have a quick shift (see what i did there?) through Parkers Guide, but i cant seem to find a circa 450bhp 1.5ton RWD car to use as a very, very general guide.

of course, if anyone gets bored tonight after reading this and wants to be the first.... :D

Cheers in advance chaps.

Pritchard

Edited by Pritchard

My brother's running a 550bhp SC M3 and it's only about 0.25s quicker 0-62 than my 350bhp / ~150kg lighter M3. On the 0-100, 30-130, 0-150 (etc) times however - he absolutely slaughters me.

I guess the gist is that more power is only really useful at the higher speeds. Low down you can't really get enough traction to make full use of it.

Really depends on the overall set up of the car. As for 0 - 60 its about getting the power down and not shreading the wheels as my stock 350 left one of the guys on here. However he can run 12.9 on the 1/4 which is the same time as my mate in his golf r. Golf r 0 - 60 is 4.9 so I would imagine it could be around that for 450bhp but then tyres and setup could see it drop lower than this. I am sure I remember reading that a9x timed his at 3.5 for 500bhp but I might have dreamed that :lol:

Just so many variables; tyres, suspension set up, driver, weather conditions, track conditions etc etc.

You can use a "performance calculator" online to give you a very rough idea on performance but then again there are so many variables not taken into account like I've listed above but also including gear ratios, wind resistance, reaction times, fuel load etc etc.

Link: http://www.torquestats.com/modified/index.php?pid=calculator

Mine comes out using that calculator like this....

Power to Weight: 306 bhp/ton 0-60: 4.2 0-100: 9.0 60-100: 4.8 1/4 Mile ET: 12.20 1/4 Mile Terminal: 117 Dragstrip 1/4 Mile ET: 12.00 Dragstrip 1/4 Mile Terminal: 121

All though doing those times under real world conditions is another matter. ;)

• Like 2

Doesnt take into account torque GM :lol:

it says the standard zed will do 5.5 0 - 60 which it wont.

I did say very rough idea. :D

Tbf though that's accurate to within a few tenths of a second from what Nissan states for standard at 5.9 secs so not too bad really. I mean you're talking 0.4 sec difference which although on paper look's a lot in the real world it's not a lot of difference imo. :thumbs:

Why the fuss about 0-60? Only matters on the strip at pod. And if you want to do that, you have the wrong car.

#teamtarmac

I agree. Think Pritchard's just interested though as he's thinking of supercharging & just mulling over what the performance will be like afterwards.

Really it's above 100mph where the power of the supercharger on the Zed really comes into it's own & the speedometer needle rockets round like it didn't before. Although you can't do that on the roads unless on the Autobahn or an old airstrip. ;)

• Like 1

Why the fuss about 0-60? Only matters on the strip at pod. And if you want to do that, you have the wrong car.

#teamtarmac

No fuss, but surely this question doesnt need to be answered? lol

its a general benchmark of performance against other cars, and to mark improvement over a standard Z.

Quoting your dyno figures down the pub or on the forums is being competitive from an armchair. 100bhp+ for FI sounds great, but its the 0-60 time that gives indication of how it will feel.

#teamtarmac

No fuss, but surely this question doesnt need to be answered? lol

its a general benchmark of performance against other cars, and to mark improvement over a standard Z.

Quoting your dyno figures down the pub or on the forums is being competitive from an armchair. 100bhp+ for FI sounds great, but its the 0-60 time that gives indication of how it will feel.

Oh dear :lol:

go on then Grundy. You'e started the troll, may as well finish.

It's not trolling, I just never understand the point in people saying 'Oh my car goes x amount 0-60/ has x amount of BHP'

It's just willy waving. Could have alllllllllll the ponies in the world and still be a @*!# driver (Not saying you're a @*!# driver)

It's not a dig at you, it's just my generic feel towards anyone who asks this question :lol:

• Like 1

Don't worry Pritchard .... I got the same response from quite a few on here when I asked what would a 400bhp 350z keep up with ..... I was accused of speeding and not to race on the road ( rightly so ) and all I really wanted to know was some bench marks so I could make a decision on if I wanted to charge my car or not ....

• Like 2

probably Tricky-Ricky, i dont doubt it has. but search doesnt allow for anythign under 3 characters.

kind of leaves me search for 'Fast' and 'Time' which are also very generic searches.

I was just after a general figure grundy. some people work in metric. some in imperial. some strange people even measure the size of their horse in hands. i wanted to relate to the improved power by 0-60

Did we not do all this a couple of week's ago? I have a distinct feeling of dé·jà vu:

Probably. :lol:

Yes it was me asking about 0-100 times .... Got shot down pretty quick , because nobody speeds on this forum ;)

To be I honest I don't speed, I go so slow I normally end up going backwards ;)

• Like 1

Whilst i cant give you an accurate figure in real terms i would doubt you get under 5 sec, maybe shave .5 sec off, as others have said because so much comes into play. My old Rx7 running 500hp probably wouldnt have been any faster than a stock Rx7 as you just couldnt get the power down on normal road tyres from a standing start.

I dont think anyone is being deliberately awkward, just honest in justifying why 0-60 isnt the best measure of the possible performance gains. In reality, when do you literally go from a standstill to 60? But, when do you go say 30 - 70, 50 -70 and upwards etc, that is where you will notice a ranked improvement over std.

Gm's link will give you accurate theoretical improvement, if you take 5.9 as std that will answer your question :)

I've done pretty much back to back launch controlled launches in a 997.2 C2S and a 458. One is 0-60 in a smidge over 4secs, one in over half a second quicker.

The 911 felt much quicker to 60, but was a billionty times slower once you actually started motoring. So no, 0-60 won't give you a good idea of how quick a car feels in real life. 30-100 is a much better scale for proper fast stuff, or even better 50-150.

Look at a stock 350: 5.9secs doesn't sound quick, but once you get moving it's quite nippy! FWD is even better, as most of the turbo hatches clock in around 5secs but once you're rolling a remapped one will be epic.

So...

No-one with FI has ever attempted 0-60 ?

Or, any sort of measured test for that matter

If someone wanted to casually do any sort of timed run like 30-80, 30-100 etc i can then go jump on the track and compare results. would suit me fine. :)

cheers.

I would imagine that I can count the number of people on here who have ever timed their car to any figure in a straight line on one hand.

I mean, I guess the drag strip boys will have their 1/4 mile times and terminal speed, but again that's not really going to count for much. Why don't you start the ball rolling, and post yours up?