Top Gear Patagonia Special Part II

coldel

So what did you guys make of it?

Clearly they knew from the start that online there were stirrers upset about the plate, the excuse that they couldnt take the plate off was a poor one, I mean just buy another old V8 car they easily have the budget. No way can any of that 31 man crew not have noticed the number plate without it being pointed out to them, if they think thats true then they are 31 of the dumbest people in Britain.

But the organised rioting and brick throwing was not on. Although from the commentary I presume that the 3 stooges were not in the convoy that was attacked...so avoided the biggest scare moments.

I just hope a lesson has been learned...although doubt it.

I took it for what it was, abit of light hearted entertainment, maybe some of the decision making, behind the scenes wasnt so wise in hindsight, but it was a giggle.

I guess Clarkson and Co are a bit marmite these days, for a variety of reasons, but to answer the question, I rather enjoyed it.

It's just a random number plate with some random numbers that no one would have thought twice about until some idiots decided it was offensive to them. He said at the beginning why he chose the Porsche and it being so rare with only 2 in the UK, it's had that plate on it all its life, Top Gear are completely innocent. Every country has its nutters though I guess.

• Like 3

I struggle to believe the claim about only 2 for sale, loads for sale right now, and have been for some time. There also seems to be some antagonstic reasoning for having that plate and going to the place the Belgrano was built...just too many coincidences for my liking. I guess they just didnt appreciate how much the Falklands mean to some people in certain parts of Argentina.

Still, they basically got attacked just like you would over here if you wandered through a BNP conference wearing a bhurka. Nutters, but still didn't help themselves antagonising it.

Edited by coldel

how pretty is that lotus though, I mean before the animals got it,

I don't know about anyone else but I found myself on the classifieds during the program and also through homeland as that was one of the worst season finales ever!!

Edited by 350 Russ
  • Like 1

The plates I do genuinely think are a **** up think how much planning must have gone into it to have that plate

Right find a v8 sports car with a plate that displays the date and country

I can't believe Clarkson or top gear saw the car on eBay or what ever and thought the Falklands war let's go there and make it fit

• Like 1

Too much conspiracy theory stuff going on here. The plate is vague in its reference at best, 99.9% of people wouldnt even notice, unless you had known from the news or even being told at the start of the show. What were the number plates on the Lotus & Mustang, anyone remember without looking? ;)

The Lotus was impressive and handled everything thrown at it, even sported a lovely set of Oz Futuras for most of the show. Personally i thought JCs mention of the 928 and his father very touching.

Boy did it escalate quickly, scary situation!

• Like 3

It was all whipped up by the papers , mainly the Daîly Mail which is read all over the world , they have an anti Clarkson agenda, there is no way they knew about or engineered the plate as a joke. When you look into the size of that team and the logistics required to produce the show a plate just wouldn't come into it

The DM also claimed the alternative plate they were going to fit BE11 END was a reference to the sinking of the Belgrano

I still can't believe the police allowed the locals to attack visitors to their country. They seemed more scared of the mob than the film crew.

Just goes to show parts of the world are still very backwards, which is a massive shame as there was some very pretty scenery filmed during both parts.

And yes that Esprit in Red was very sexual :blush:

I am not sure how a hanful of Police were expected to control a mob of that size, London riots go to show we arent even capable.

The first mob wasn't a massive size and they didn't even make it to the town were there was supposedly 300 people.

They knew they were there in the first town and should have sent more police, surely there was more cops around than the few on the convoy.

Edited by 370Ad

I guess its easy to say it should have been handled better or controlled but in realilty probably a lot more complex, just get them out as quickly as poss and with minimal fuss, I.e dont try and take on the mob.

Both beautiful countries though, some stunning back drops, who reckons there would have been "a hand of god" incident in the football??

I guess its easy to say it should have been handled better or controlled but in realilty probably a lot more complex, just get them out as quickly as poss and with minimal fuss, I.e dont try and take on the mob.

Both beautiful countries though, some stunning back drops, who reckons there would have been "a hand of god" incident in the football??

Fully agree. Some of those roads looked amazing to drive on. You can tell they were pushing it sometimes, especially when James had his moment.

Yeah it did escalate very quickly, and they seemed really concerned, shame they didnt heed the warning when they first started.

I still think they were on the wind up, they have form for it. My theory is it went something like - pick a nice place we havent been to, Chile/Argentina, tick - check the route, and choose the car least capable for the journey to make it fun, sports cars, tick - lets add a theme, V8s, tick - go hunting on classifieds for V8s and see the number plate, a big Clarkson tick.

Having lived abroad a number of times, and visited outside the main cities, I think you have to really respect that you are a visitor in their country. I would imagine anyone wandering through the outskirts of Manchester waving a flag celebrating the Munich air crash would get a very similar reception!

Very dull episode, with tired old gags we have seen on the same show time and time again. The only way they held interest was to see the big finale.

Lovely looking country though and some stunning scenery but I gave up on this program a while back now and this certainly didn't change my mind.

I would imagine anyone wandering through the outskirts of Manchester waving a flag celebrating the Munich air crash would get a very similar reception!

I think you mean Surrey, as I would imagine that most of Manchester would be quite happy that that ;)

go hunting on classifieds for V8s and see the number plate, a big Clarkson tick.

Who notices a number plate when looking for cars, let alone a specific car, let alone one that vaguely relates to the one country you are visiting and be that lucky it happens to coincide with a moment in history...

You should get a job with the media :)