20mm spacers, handling

coyoteboy

So I wanted to see how the addition would affect this car, previously on another car it killed the handling and made it twitchy under braking and acceleration.

So I fitted these and the initial feel isn't as bad but it's still a pretty large change in feel. Feels less taut, slower and a little more predictable in oversteer. No change to braking/accel over bumps but steering in general feels more dead. Not sure in going to keep them, despite the improvement in looks. Feel like it's destroyed the feeling the car was designed to have.

• Like 1

You're adding more weight in the worst possible place. Turn in, braking, acceleration, feedback, all will be affected for the worse.

+1 to this. I often suspect people who say otherwise are just trying to justify the compromise to achieve the look they want, or had other issues prior to fitting that are perhaps masked. Each to their own and all that!

• Like 1

You're adding more weight in the worst possible place. Turn in, braking, acceleration, feedback, all will be affected for the worse.

+1 to this. I often suspect people who say otherwise are just trying to justify the compromise to achieve the look they want, or had other issues prior to fitting that are perhaps masked. Each to their own and all that!

True but a wider track will give a more stable feedback at the expense of a few nano seconds in 0-60 lost due to spacers

It's the same as running a 11j wheel with a 315 tyres it will be slower to the corner but faster round it

Aye, my impressions were same as the OP, it didnt do any favours for the handling at all so I took them straight off and it felt much better.

Weirdly, fitting 25mm spacers and ridiculous wheels all round a couple of years later improved the handling massively, so its not just unsprung weight at play here.

Can't say I noticed a measurable difference when I fitted spacers, maybe it's because I'm a crap driver or something :lol:

I think it is more like if you want to feel a difference you will,

Errr, no. Theres been plenty of people over the years say it on here and with the greatest of respect I know the difference between imagining and actually feeling, the weird thing is that it doesnt seem to be constant on every car. I know imports had different geometry,

Coyoteboy, is yours an import? And theres nothing wrong with sliding out of a junction once in a while, some people are just old before their time ;):lol:

question for you all. Iv just fitted 20mm front 25mm rear. The bolts went on and one when i tried torquing up to about 110. anyone else had this, is it normal? waxs it the bolts pulling through?

my mechanic didnt feel comfortable with it like this so i had to sign something to say i wanted them to contine to tighten.

I also broke two of the Locking wheel nuts too. pi**ed off i was....

question for you all. Iv just fitted 20mm front 25mm rear. The bolts went on and one when i tried torquing up to about 110. anyone else had this, is it normal? waxs it the bolts pulling through?

my mechanic didnt feel comfortable with it like this so i had to sign something to say i wanted them to contine to tighten.

I also broke two of the Locking wheel nuts too. pi**ed off i was....

I torque mine up to 108Nm on all 5 bolts. No issue at all and has been driving around for almost 2 months now.

• Like 1