20mm spacers, handling

coyoteboy

Glad I am not the only one. Spacers make the Z handle awfully!

When you take them off you realise how bad they really were. Steering is dulled so much by them for me.

For posing it's great but I like to drive my Z!

Edited by 370Ad
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a lot of utterly conflicting views going on here.

I wonder as well about things like the bushes, geo, tyres (& pressure), lowering springs or coilovers, and how greatly each thing affects the car.

Not just the objective differences but then yep, people that have spent the money and then justify it must be better now as it looks better.

I'd like to do it as well but I won't accept diluted steering response, as this is the area I'm focusing on at the moment to sharpen up again.

I guess the only thing to do is to try a set out, see how the car responds :wacko:

• Like 1

When you take them off you realise how bad they really were. Steering is dulled so much by them for me.

im curious how you feel about the handling now with the rotas as you hated spacer but youve fitted heavier cast lower offset wheels in turn it must handle worse no?

Perfectly timed thread.

I'm getting new tyres and a service done this month, ready for some spring track action and was seriously considering getting some spacers for the 370.

Where as (in my eyes) it undoubtedly improves the asthetics of the car, I'm more interested in how the car feels under load and how it feels when it approaches the edge.

Out of the box the 370 feels good to me, solid and confidnace inspiring, altering that for an unknown result would be a shame.

Wideneing the track on my previous cars (Honda's) has usually resulted in a better drive, like you say, strange how it differs from car to car. Might be the weight in that instance.

Anyway, good thread, good input in here :) .

im curious how you feel about the handling now with the rotas as you hated spacer but youve fitted heavier cast lower offset wheels in turn it must handle worse no?

The 19" Rays weight F:10.5kg/R:10.8kg.

I cannot find a weight on the 19x10.5 Rotas but the 19x9.5's are 10.2 kgs. So are therefore lighter! Even on the 50 swapping 18" Rays for 19" Rotas, with the extra weight from the tyre size increase as a package they were only 0.5 Kgs more.

I imagine on tight go cart type track the turn in would be worse but the wider wheels help improve understeer on the Z so swings and round abouts. My problem with the spacers was not the wider track but the extra movement around the hub area. Its hard to describe in words but I felt some precision was lost.

• Like 2

Indeed a heavier wheel with lower offset would have exactly the same effect.

What you're looking for RobPhobo is a sensitivity analysis which you will probably find was performed by Nissan in development but would take a LOT of measurement, Calculation And Verification For An End User. No idea why my phone added caps to that.

You push the contact patch centre out which increases scrub radius, increases corner jacking due to castor, increases braking feedback over bumps and will slightly change your steering response.

So why did I get rid of the 15/20mm spacers after a few days but think the car handles better on 25mm spacers all round?

Voodoo, thats what it is.

ETA: Hang on, how does a spacer affect castor, even a 50mm spacer wouldnt have any effect on that ......... and jacking AFAIK only really gets taken into consideration on race cars as theres less flex in the chassis and bushings. Are you overcomplicating this by any chance?

Edited by docwra

People can convince themselves of anything! Also "handling" is a woolly term that is subjective. It is not objective.

I never said it affected castor. I said it affects jacking due to castor. And just go out and turn your steering and measure the corner height changes. Depending on suspension design you will see massive changes even on a bog standard tin top.

Not over complicating, just not blindly assuming wider = better when working with a fixed suspension setup.

Edited by coyoteboy