Tech or TV Guru advice needed.

Fluke

I am planning on upgrading my current 50" LG plasma tv to something larger 60 - 65" with passive 3D. I know 4k Tv's are the latest tech, but I am not really sure if I would notice the difference, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of 4k content about.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent sized TV? I have about £2k to spend and the only real criteria is:

1) Must have 3D.

2) Must have Freeview

I already have a Panasonic DMP-BDT460EB 3D Smart Network Blu-ray player and an LG NB3530a soundbar and sub.

Samsung or bust. Nothing else I've seen at that price range comes close. Be careful though, you may find LCD too different from plasma.

if you're spending £2k on a telly, I would prioritise a future tech like 4K over a dead tech like 3D.

I have just bought an LG 55" 4K 3D LCD TV and must say it's very impressive. It has passive 3D which I purposely chose as we have 3 kids and if the glasses get broken then it's only a couple of quid for a new pair. No batteries to keep charging either.

It cost £1300 and for the money was the best deal for what it can do.

It has a 1000hz refresh rate so no ghosting or lagging. It's great for the kids xbox games and I've just purchased the LG dual play glasses which let 2 gamers playing a split screen game to have both images blended together so each can only see their own game scene, but in full screen.

4K content is limited only to Netflix at the moment but the tv will try to upscale the input it sees.

It replaces a 50" Panasonic plasma, that has nothing wrong with it, and I would've stayed with Panasonic, had they done an equivalent passive 3D version.

The 3D on the LG is very good. It's made me jump a few times :)

I have also just added an Apple TV box too, so I have full connectivity between iPhone, iPad, tv, and amplifier.

I would hold off for OLED price to fall further....12 months ago cheapest 55inch OLED was £5k, now down to £2k. Give it another 6-12 months and you be able to pick up a 55inch 4K OLED panel for £2k.

If you haven't seen how good a OLED panel is in real life, pop down to your local John Lewis, and compare them side to side with a conventional LCD LED panel, the difference is night and day, I promise you wouldn't be disappointed by OLED picture quality.

OLED isn't a marketing gimmick like LED LCD TVs, or 4K, it's brand new display technology that I remember seeing on tomorrow's world about 20 years ago :), and overcomes the fundamental problem of LCD display technology, which is need for a backlight.

Have a look at reviews of OLED TVs on the web, pretty much every review calls them the 'best' TVs every made interms of picture quality, even better than the might Pioneer Kuros.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Keep with your Plasma for now if you can until prices drop a bit. Also the New Year Sales may come up with a bargain if you need to buy one sooner.

Don't forget Costco either if you have a card. They offer a five year guarantee and if the telly goes wrong within the five years and cannot be fixed, they will give you back the money you originally paid for it.

If you also don't like the telly within 90 day's of purchase, you can return it. Very good in my opinion :thumbs:

John Lewis or richer sounds, and get a samsung. I have a 46 d8000 and it's great. I'm thinking of upgrading in the next 12 months for something bigger so will watch with intrest.

Check out av forums too. There are some good reviews on there. I was going to buy the 50 inch version of mine but that had lots of issues, whereas the 46 didn't.

Above all though, ignore reviews. And ignore everyone on here who says X is better than Y. Including me!

Use your own eyes, and trust yourself. Compare like for like using a source you like (I used Independance Day on BD for the blacks and Forza 3 on 360 for the fast stuff when I bought my last TV, and yes I took my own Xbox in!), and then figure out what TV you like the best. I ended up with a choice of a 55" Samsung LCD or a 65" LG plasma, and I don't care what people say about plasma as the LCD looked much better to me.

Your own judgement is the best. Go with it.