Before & Before & After Dynos @Abbey

Pritchard

Morning all.

8am, arrived at Abbey Motosports to do some work. :)

as referenced in a recent thread, I made mention that there are no before / after dynos for bolt ons. only 'after' bolts ons, and after ecu remap.

http://www.350z-uk.c...re-after-dynos/

So I am going to have 3 curves on my graph, where most people have 2.

1. Arrival. (stock / current state)

2. pre-ecu tune (all bolts ons fitted)

3. after ecu tune.

I'm booked in for the the P3 service, plus the following:

'06 airbox (Velocity stack mod)

Plenum spacer

Sports cats

Y pipe

Uprev tune.

Currently done:

Lightweight flywheel

Non-resonated Cobra.

Lookin forward to a good day :)

8:30

Interesting...i've just fitted a Cobra non-resonated exhaust, I was meant to be fitting a Y-pipe today, but theres already one fitted !! Result. cant see a stamp on it. not sure of the brand.

Thats some money saved today :p

8:45

Ok first dyno is run.

246whp

Happy !!

dyno chart will of course go up when i get it.

Interestingly.... about Air Intakes.

Mark @ Abbey showed me the outputs of the Air intake temperatures. The ambient air temps were around 53celcius, which after its 2nd / 3rd pull temps had dropped to around 15celcius. (im pretty sure those numbers are right. )

for FYI purposes, if anyone has ever wondered why when doing 3 pulls on a dyno you usualy get a little more power each time, its not because your engine is warming up....

9:10

Car is now in the Magic Room, where wishes come true :)

9:30

Y-pipe is a Toyosports (found on ebaymore commonly than their website.). The guys found the name plate on the side.

11:30

Liverpool just won the FA Cup! bored of this game now. Next....

11:35

The guys at Abbey give the car a thorough vehicle inspection. looks like i've got a few problems to fix in the future. Most annoyingly, another nail in my tyre. thats the 2nd in a week. I wonder what i've been driving through.

13:30

I think we must be nearly ready for the remap. dont forget iv had a full service too, and ha to have a puncture repaired. adds a little time.

13:35

Hey look, Stephen Hawking has just released an article saying he thinks A.I will be the end of mankind. I thought this guy was a genius... my kids cartoons predicted this 30 years ago!

14:36

woops, fell asleep.

15:10

TO THE DYNO !!

16:23

Happy, Happy man. Got an awesome result today!

Pritchard

Edited by Pritchard
  • Like 2

Interested to see the results!

The guys at Abbey are great :thumbs:

Mark also showed me the intake temps whilst I was there, we compared my standard box with drop-in filter / velocity stack versus a previous days car fitted with a K&N typhoon, the gradual increase in heat on the typhoon was ridiculous compared to the standard box which consistently dropped temp levels and never built up/increased heat steadily like the typhoon. All interesting stuff to know when you want the car running the best it can :)

Edited by blaqkaudio

Quite why people fit an intake that can suck its air from within the engine bay, instead of outside the car I don't know. :wacko:

Then you've got those that mention "well it's worth it for the sound"

- However - If you have an aftermarket exhaust (or plan to...zeditus will ensure this) you will never hear an induction noise over a screaming V6 backbox!? Baffling...my thoughts anyway

Anyway good luck Pritchard :thumbs:

• Like 1

Quite why people fit an intake that can suck its air from within the engine bay, instead of outside the car I don't know. :wacko:

- However - If you have an aftermarket exhaust (or plan to...zeditus will ensure this) you will never hear an induction noise over a screaming V6 backbox!? Baffling...my thoughts anyway

Trust me you do, I was worried about it being pointless and not hearing it over the exhaust, but it gives it a nice growl.
  • Like 1

I found I could hear it outside the car rather than inside after the exhaust was fitted. It's not just about the sound, it also looks better than the ugly plastic box that comes with the car. Not everyone is changing numbers :)

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I'm all for tidying up the engine bay and making things look and sound better, but at the same time I would strive to make sure the engine had a decent supply of nice cold air to breath, it doesn't take much to modify induction kits to draw cold air from outside the car rather than inside.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

That will be me then :)

But for me the noise is worth the loss of some BHP / ~Torque

And the Typhoon does have a cold air feed and is house in a box I think its the alloy pipe work that is the problem but again this is Blue and I like it :)

Alan

Mark also showed me the intake temps whilst I was there, we compared my standard box with drop-in filter / velocity stack versus a previous days car fitted with a K&N typhoon, the gradual increase in heat on the typhoon was ridiculous compared to the standard box which consistently dropped temp levels and never built up/increased heat steadily like the typhoon. All interesting stuff to know when you want the car running the best it can :)

Edited by Kaveney

I had the Stillen intake, sounds great and comes with its own box which is custom fit to the zed. It sat right up against the bumper vent in the same position as the panel filter - no metal tubing all plastic - cant imagine that would be any worse than the big chunky box as standard.

• Like 1

Results are in !!! :D :D :D

Just waiting for the graphs from Mark.

But after looking through the 'Dyno results info' sticky thread, and looking at every Abbey one there for DE engines, I think i've scored the highest... by a very clear margin :)

hang on, ive beaten at least one HR on that page, and only a horse or three shy of 2 others!

Very healthy engine. :p

Edited by Pritchard

go on then, whats the magic number?!?!?! im going to guess at 302 on a DE engine, that would be something!

well, if your using BHP it all depends what tranny loss your using... i was going by the HubHP that is measured on dynapacks.

but .... Mark did throw a BHP figure at me, and it was more than 302 :D

wait for the dyno sheets. sit tight.

• Like 1

So your going to put up dyno sheets for before any mods are fitted for a base level (presumably several runs to get the ECU up to speed?)

Then a run or two after mods are fitted, and another couple after a remap?

That should prove interesting, try and get Mark to print them with torque re calculated as otherwise its difficult to work out if you don't know the gear v loading.

So your going to put up dyno sheets for before any mods are fitted for a base level (presumably several runs to get the ECU up to speed?)

Then a run or two after mods are fitted, and another couple after a remap?

That should prove interesting, try and get Mark to print them with torque re calculated as otherwise its difficult to work out if you don't know the gear v loading.

car wasnt stock when it arrived , we have before as the car arrived and after bolting on the extra parts + the Uprev.

I had the Stillen intake, sounds great and comes with its own box which is custom fit to the zed. It sat right up against the bumper vent in the same position as the panel filter - no metal tubing all plastic - cant imagine that would be any worse than the big chunky box as standard.

Exactly why I went with the Stillen on my Zed. Looked very tidy under the bonnet as well which was a plus. ;)

Still not as nice looking as the Vortech V3SCi though. :lol::D

Mark @ Abbey, please could you clear something up for me? I keep reading on here the mantra that installing any mods is pointless - Without an UPREV map tune and that the standard ECU 'dials back' any benefits from any installed mods. I find that very strange as my knowledge is the the ECU will use it's mapping to OPTIMISE the conditions it operates under within it's preset parameters ( Your statement about the ECU learning hence the few runs needed appears to support this). Obviously these internal map tweaks will be narrower than optimum for many mods and within a range of tolerances encountered using OEM Nissan parts, and is a generic map given to all that certain model of Zed, hence I understand why an UPREV will totally optimise the engine mapping, actually either with or without any mods. Bit long winded sorry - so does the ECU optimise within its own mapping capabilities? :)

Well this isnt my day. :rant: :rant:

left the dyno in the pouring rain, then hit a wall of traffic all the way home. been sitting in traffic with the engine off for 20min at a time.

couldnt use the car in anger.

i dont have a scanner at home, so im taking pictures with my phone. and ges what, now i cant upload them to myself because Mircosoft has locked me out for unusual activity !!

sigh.

____

Right well, dyno charts will be tomorrow when i scan them at work, unless Mark is willing to do the honours tonight.

-- and looking at the graph, Mark I think you've given me a couple of wrong curves :lol: --

but results were:

248whp was the best run out of my initial when i turned up.

There was then a dyno readout that i saw when the ecu stuff was just beginning, that said 258whp. (but thats not the 3rd curve on my graph... Mark?)

And then my final power output, 271.6 :p

Torque went from 235lb/ft on arrival, to 254lb/ft on departure.

So a 23hp gain, and 24lb/ft gain.

happy times!!

Mark's tranny loss estimate put this at about 307BHP.

Whats a standard HR again.... :p

Pritchard

• Like 2