Just bought a 350z...Knocking Engine...

nels0n

PM Zmanalex he usually has them sat around and can supply the parts you just need a garage quote from someone reputable to replace it.

Have you tried calling citizens advice (or whatever organisation could advise you legally where you stand) to find out what you can do - he has a legal responsibility to sell something as described and you don't get the car fail that quickly in the fashion it has.

It could well of been an honest sale! but the fact when i first messaged him and said the engine is knocking he said "Oh that happened before when the oil got to low for me i just topped it up and it was fine" i was like mate if you had of told me that i wouldnt of bought the car...

Why didn't you ask? Surely asking a basic question like "Has the engine made any odd knocking noises?" is just plain common sense? If he says no then it's misrep and you can sue for your money back, if he says yes then you walk. Caveat emptor, as long as he didn't lie you have zero comeback. Withholding information is not misrep on a private sale.

Did it not make any noises on the test drive? How long was the test drive?

Yup partly my fault not checking oil when i was there i took his word for it, he took me out down the road and it all seemed fine but could of easily topped it up with thicker oil to cover the knock. OR it could just be a case of i didnt check the oil, it was low, i drove it home for 3 hours and it just popped.

Either way i just feel like i dont know what to do lol!

Yup partly my fault not checking oil when i was there i took his word for it, he took me out down the road and it all seemed fine but could of easily topped it up with thicker oil to cover the knock. OR it could just be a case of i didnt check the oil, it was low, i drove it home for 3 hours and it just popped.

Either way i just feel like i dont know what to do lol!

I was thinking the same, but then you posted he messaged you knowing about it knocking previously.

Post some details of that car, if we know it we can help :)

Yeah its had a plenum spacer on it, scorpion exhaust and an aftermarket y piece by the look of it, all past MOTs with it, the guy before the guy i bought it off looked like he really well maintained it regularly.

REG MF04 XSC

nissan_350z_v6_S1489833_10.jpg

In all honestly i called a bunch of mates and family and went back to guy’s house. Threatened to whoop his ass right there and then if i did not get money back. Brother punched him and after he got off the ground he gave my money back and petrol money for taking the ****. As sold as seen receipt to me meant nothing if your pulling a fast one selling a car with obvious problem.

Cool story bro. Also:

Your brother - occasioning actual bodily harm contrary to s47 Offences Against the Person Act 1861, common assault, blackmail contrary to Theft Act 1968 s21, conspiracy to blackmail contrary to Criminal Law Act 1977 s1.

You and other mates - accessory to occasioning actual bodily harm, accessory to common assault, blackmail contrary to Theft Act 1968 s21, conspiracy to blackmail contrary to Criminal Law Act 1977 s1.

Not saying to kill the guy but be persuasive... and the guys will you will help with that!

Dude stop wasting time on here and get some lads together and go see him to get your money back !!!! What a sly git .

Hope you get it sorted

Serious Crime Act 2007 s44 - Intentionally encouraging or assisting an offence

(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)he does an act capable of encouraging or assisting the commission of an offence; and

(b)he intends to encourage or assist its commission.

OP - unfortunately there isn't anything that you can legally do here. Private sale is almost always buyer beware. You do get some rights, but they are very limited. Misrepresentation does not cover situations where the fault appeared after the sale.

You can try to bullshit him, threaten to sue etc., but it will be pure bluff. Might work though, you never know.

Edited by comrade
  • Like 8

He told me engine was fine ran fine nothing wrong with it, test drive was about 20 minutes. He also told me the engine management light was on and his mechanic had told him that it was lambda sensors despite there being no decats etc.

Edited by nels0n

In all honestly i called a bunch of mates and family and went back to guy’s house. Threatened to whoop his ass right there and then if i did not get money back. Brother punched him and after he got off the ground he gave my money back and petrol money for taking the ****. As sold as seen receipt to me meant nothing if your pulling a fast one selling a car with obvious problem.

Cool story bro. Also:

Your brother - occasioning actual bodily harm contrary to s47 Offences Against the Person Act 1861, common assault, blackmail contrary to Theft Act 1968 s21, conspiracy to blackmail contrary to Criminal Law Act 1977 s1.

You and other mates - accessory to occasioning actual bodily harm, accessory to common assault, blackmail contrary to Theft Act 1968 s21, conspiracy to blackmail contrary to Criminal Law Act 1977 s1.

Not saying to kill the guy but be persuasive... and the guys will you will help with that!

Dude stop wasting time on here and get some lads together and go see him to get your money back !!!! What a sly git .

Hope you get it sorted

(a)he does an act capable of encouraging or assisting the commission of an offence; and

OP - unfortunately there isn't anything that you can legally do here. Private sale is almost always buyer beware. You do get some rights, but they are very limited. Misrepresentation does not cover situations where the fault appeared after the sale.

You can try to bullshit him, threaten to sue etc., but it will be pure bluff. Might work though, you never know.

Turning up with some other people to try and get your money back is not an offence is it ?

Cool story bro. Also:

Hope you get it sorted

Turning up with some other people to try and get your money back is not an offence is it ?

And are you saying you can threaten them though ? ...........

You would be surprised how much stuff that you do without even thinking about it is technically criminal.

Protection from Harassment Act 1997 s1

(1)A person must not pursue a course of conduct—

(a)which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b)which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

s7(2) References to harassing a person include alarming the person or causing the person distress.

Turning up at someone's doorstep with 3 of your biggest mates is most certainly alarming, and you know it to be so. In a matter of fact, you intend it to be so, otherwise why would you not just turn up alone?

It is a minor offence and of course in real life it is highly unlikely that you will actually be prosecuted for it, but if you want to go that way you need to know what exactly you are doing.

I wouldn't threaten him physically at all. Things could get a lot worse than loosing a few grand on a new engine. You live 3 hours away so he should have more mates closer to home even if it weren't illegal to do so in the first place. He would probably just call the police too.

You might need to just suck it up and learn from it. You say the engine light was on when you brought it, I know you drove 3 hours to see it but you should have walked away there and then.

I'd source a decent engine once I had the money and get it fitted. Will still be cheaper than a new Z and if you get a low mileage or new engine you'll have a car that will last many years to come.

So I guess you a police officer ?

To be honest if someone had conned me out of my hard earned cash , and knowing the law could do nothing to help me I would certainly be trying to get my money back any way that I could . Worth the risk to get a caution from an officer , defiantly.

• Like 2