Oil Light flashed on - bought car yesterday from dealer!

MikeM1986a

Just bought a 53 plate 350z with 115000 miles, from an independent dealer in Birmingham - car seems to drive all fine (have owned 350z's before) but the oil pressure seems quite low (doesn't go much higher than 30-45 when driving on motorway etc.) and when braking or cornering, on occasion, the gauge goes down to zero and the oil light flashes up.

I've read a couple of things online that basically state that if the light comes on at any time don't drive it and get it checked out as could be a sign of something very bad.

Given I only bought the car yesterday, surely I'm covered under a dealers standard warranty and potentially could I just ask for a refund??

Absolutely gutted because spent most of my money on the car and insurance and will struggle to cover cost for any expensive repairs!

I know I need to check the oil level, which I'll do in the morning, but if anyone has any info on either where I'd stand in getting a refund/repairs covered by dealer, or on what the problem may be, I'd be very grateful.

That is definitely low oil pressure.

Check the levels asap. With luck you can top up and all will be well (although changing it sounds better as it could be pretty old), but if you have a reasonable level of oil and the pressure is still low then it sounds knackered, sorry.

Chances are its only low though so don't panic yet.

Edited by Toon Chris

No panic, you're as covered as you can be at this point.

Check the oil level. It'll be very low and under the min limit, so top up to the max level. Inform the garage in writing of this, and keep a very close eye on the level over the next couple thousand miles. If it stays roughly the same, then don't worry about it. If you burn through more than 500ml in 1k miles, then tell the garage and see what their move is. If you burn 1l in 1k miles then you have a serious issue, and should start thinking about rejection.

Your car may be fine, or it may not. You won't know for now, so just keep an eye on it and fingers crossed.

I would reject the car now.

You will find that the oil level with be at the bottom of the dip stick and the damage will have been done, although perhaps not evident at the moment.

Shame on any garage who turns out a car without sufficient oil in it.

I would not add any oil as you then may have a problem proving your claim.

Do not drive the car.

Reject it NOW by phone and email and then in writing.

• Like 3

Normally I'd agree, but I'm not sure he can.

Is there any actual problem with the car? I don't think so, so unless it's now making huge grinding noises there's no grounds for rejection. Frustrating, as I totally agree with you in the possible damage, but the law would not agree with the OP here. :(

If push comes to shove then I am sure that an independent engineers report would support any rejection.

Just depends on how difficult the garage wants to be and how the motor was paid for and also how assertive the OP wants to be.

Mine always flashes on and my pressure is always on 0 on idle. Id say its a sensor problem. My oils always topped up and ive done nearly 5000 miles since i first noticed it. Although oil p is fine when driving, light flashes on sometimes when i get to a stop and revs drop but its always been fine! So could be that?

Thanks for all the advice - going to check out the levels shortly and see what that is. It does seem to drive perfectly fine, I've owned 2 zeds in the past, and though I'm no mechanic, it seems to drive perfectly well, no rattling, knocks etc. and engine sounds perfectly smooth, so hoping it's something minor.

Minor complication is that the person I bought it from put the advert on autotrader as a trade advert, specifically told me in a text it's a trade sale, so I have that there, but the invoice simple says his name and doesn't state a company name, albeit he told me he was an independent dealer, so not sure if it would have a company name on the invoice anyway. He also put down 'sold as seen' which I know people do in private sales to cover themselves but apparently trade sales aren't allowed to include that anyway, as per trading standards info - didn't know this until I checked last night!

I'll check the levels shortly and sort that out. I was also gonna check with the local garage, see what they say and if it's something major then I'll be going back and asking for my money back and if I have to go down small claims process for it then so be it....

Ah, the joys of buying a car from Birmingham...!

If you bought it from a garage forecourt, and you have it in writing that he's in the trade then don't worry.

Note that he's trying to cover himself by using the terms 'trade sale' and 'sold as seen': He clearly has no idea how the law works at all! It's only a trade sale if he's selling to someone in the trade, and as you're not then sold as seen has zero weight. He's dodgy little man who is going to try and weasel his way out of everything, I can promise you that now.

Tbf the guy has been very decent throughout and has been on the phone to me last night etc trying to help me sort the problem - but I suppose you would either way. If it comes down to asking for a refund or repairs my guess is that that'll probably change!

I checked the oil and it actually looked like there was almost nothing in it, assuming I checked it right, which I'm pretty sure I did. I put the ignition on and the oil pressure went up to nearly 90, idle at about 15, then switched off. Hopefully it's just got very low oil and that will solve the problem!

Tbf the guy has been very decent throughout and has been on the phone to me last night etc trying to help me sort the problem - but I suppose you would either way. If it comes down to asking for a refund or repairs my guess is that that'll probably change!

I checked the oil and it actually looked like there was almost nothing in it, assuming I checked it right, which I'm pretty sure I did. I put the ignition on and the oil pressure went up to nearly 90, idle at about 15, then switched off. Hopefully it's just got very low oil and that will solve the problem!

It could probably do with an oil change as well. I'm just amazed that a dealer could sell

a car with virtually no oil in it..beggars belief... :angry:

Tbh the one worry is that he did tell me he'd checked the levels - stupidly I didn't anyway - prior to him taking the car to London and back. I've done about 300 miles (from driving it back and having a bit of a drive about this weekend), but if levels were decent prior to that, which would be about 700-800 miles possibly, and now they're gone, I'm worried it's burning it off very quickly. Equally though he may not have even bothered, which I suspect.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which oil I need to get? Was going to just run into halfords - I know I've owned them before but, as shameful as it is, got my girlfriend to do the oil for me when I was in work : /

Put a 5w-40 in it if you can find a decent one (NOT Magnatec, basically).

Don't get into the habit of using the oil pressure gauge for anything other than a 'Do I actually have any pressure?' gauge. Whilst it can help with figuring out how much oil you have left, you really should never use it for that purpose until you know your particular car much, much better. I used to be able to work out when mine needed a top-up via that method, but I always confirmed with regular dipsticking too. As you've already found out, it can be pretty much okay even though you have naff all oil in there!

I checked the oil and it actually looked like there was almost nothing in it,

As in my previous post, the damage will be done, although it may not show at present, but will probably raise its ugly head in 1 week, 1 month or even 1 year, when you will probably have to stick in a second hand engine at a cost of circa £2000.00.

Just making you aware of the potential costs as I do not think that you are grasping the seriousness of the situation.

• Like 2

Zmanalex, right okay, I see what you mean, in that I've already driven the car with no oil the damage may have already been done but won't be noticeable yet? As soon as I noticed the oil pressure light was low and the first time it flashed I stopped driving immediately, so could that not have prevented any damage from having occurred?

What would you do in my situation then, can I return it on the basis of it having no oil in when it was purchasd?

The damage could've been done before you picked the car up, or it could've been done after. No way of knowing.

The trouble is you do not know what (if any, although unlikely) has been done at this point without stripping the engine down. As such, I do not think you can reject the vehicle based on what you have so far, or at least the dealer is not legally obliged to take it back. You might have got lucky and just have a bit of extra wear here or there meaning your engine will only last for 400,000 miles rather than 500,000 miles, or it could be fubared and dead in a week. That's why it's so important to both keep an eye on oil usage and keep communication with the dealer over the subject. Keep exact measurements and distances between oil top ups, and check it daily. If you got lucky, then no harm is done really. If not, you'll be so glad for that info before you start pushing for repairs/refunds.