Is a degree essential in the UK today? Now with added photo

twobears

Studied politics and philosophy at Uni 20 years ago. Forgotten most of it now but I think it was worth it - you learn a lot more than just the facts of the subject - how to construct an argument and express it in writing, how to think through a problem etc. Also good for learning to live away from home, making friends and having a great time.

It's hard not to think it's lost some of its meaning now that so many people seem to go and there's a university around every corner. But that's just me being an old git :)

• Like 1

SuperStu, I agree with every single thing you say except the point that universities should provide vocational training. I think that universities should exist solely to educate the brightest and the best in academic subjects. Controversial?

I agree with this to be honest.

This whole 'everyone's entitled' bollocks does my head in.

I was averagely intelligent and could have got some sort of Micky mouse degree from some dross Uni or other. All it would have created is a huge debt and 3 less years of spaffing my cash on cars!

I know some right mongs who've got degrees. Not a one of them doing anything with them.

The DUMBEST plank of wood I know left school at 15. He now earns 500 a day as a project manager in financial services and is the single most qualified person I know.

Went to a grammar school were going to university was seen as the be all and end all and no other post school options were ever really discussed. Like most from my school I went to university (Cardiff) and hated it and ended up dropping out midway through the second year after getting a job as a projectionist (sadly now longer required after the digital revolution). Ended up working several years in low paid retail jobs after that before getting my current job. If I could rewind the clock I'd definitely choose to learn a trade rather than go to university. There are more people going to University than there are jobs that actually require having a degree these days. When I was earning minimum wage in the retail sector I worked with plenty of people with degrees who couldn't find a graduate job. I have also seen job adverts that state applicants must have a degree when the job itself really doesn't require one, I guess because so many people are coming out of university. However I would say there is a shift going on in some sectors towards skills rather than education. I work as civilian staff in the Police at the moment and they are far more interested in people being able to evidence things like communication, problem solving and team working skills than whether you have a degree or not.

Off topic but are you 'Hell Running' in your profile piccie?

He could be like me, got fat fingers and often presses more than one key. Or, this poxy website won't acknowledge a letter once it's been pressed. I sometimes have to do it twice or even thrice!!! :scare:

Or maybe he's on a similar level to your good self when it comes to spelling, punctuation and grammar ...

just sayin' :teeth:

Edited by ATTAK Z

That's alright, I don't feel I have to entertain an audience to feel confident in my superior command of the English language. :teeth:

May I refer the honourable gentleman to a previous thread where he had to admit to his misuse of apostrophes when used to denote the genitive case of a plural noun ...

That's alright, I don't feel I have to entertain an audience to feel confident in my superior command of the English language. :teeth:

May I refer the honourable gentleman to a previous thread where he had to admit to his misuse of apostrophes when used to denote the genitive case of a plural noun ...

which proves, to me at least, that you haven't got a superior command of the English language