Atheism.

Zeezeebaba

IS are not followers of true Islam, the trouble is the twisting of interpretation to achieve a goal. Ironically the Christian bible is also full of nastiness whereas the qur'an is a more refined honed and obviously more recent book.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

i'm aware of what qualifies threads getting locked, just thought this one might descend into chaos due to its context but I sincerely hope not.

Not that i'm religious either but the OP has already stated " the stupidity of man made religions " compared to the ones that aren't man made? which ones are those? thought that remark might get someone's back up.

Edited by Rock_Steady

I have no belief's, but each to their own, I do believe the religion's are along with plenty of other reasons responsible for far to many conflicts, so I would never believe contribute to any religion that has influenced condoned or started any war/conflict...which to my thinking doesn't lave very many.

IS are not followers of true Islam, the trouble is the twisting of interpretation to achieve a goal. Ironically the Christian bible is also full of nastiness whereas the qur'an is a more refined honed and obviously more recent.

My point proven, with out all of this, so much hate and trouble in the world would be removed.

WW1 nationalism, WWII fascism, both wiped out millions of people with atheism at the core of the reasons for doing so. We seem to as a nation have been convinced that religion causes or is the basis of conflict when all the stats, rather than what sensationalist media looking to score points says, says otherwise. At the moment IS is the big thing so people will believe (funny how the word believe will come up on this thread for Atheists) what they want to to reinforce their view - but the fact is that Atheist views have been directly the biggest cause of conflict in human history.

Anyway, on a slightly different note, is everyone an Atheist (which is a common word batted around) or a Theist, someone who doesn't follow a belief but does believe that somewhere, out there, a single god could exist...

I'm a strong believer of nothing. haha, hate religion. i see it like this.. santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, jesus, god...

There all things you should grow out of and realise magic doesn't make the world go round, its a harsh place and you just have to deal with that.

this picture says it all for me.

10640994_772139466193874_6976668178953280995_n.png?oh=ee12ce346768dc992f49c8ed8e6d8639&oe=54D4EDF3

Oh and this one lol:

64746_772136652860822_992735332539604628_n.png?oh=1d12170950af7c074717ea6744f2ece5&oe=551C9DED

Edited by -Bradders-
  • Like 2

I suppose the most important thing is having empathy for others.A lesson preached in many a religious text.I believe the next mental evolutionary step in humanity involves dealing with the harsh reality. Removing that comfort blanket religion offers though is the difficult part for many believers. Cheers for the input people,I'm off to bed I've been working all night. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I'm not religious but when you sit and think about the bigger picture, existence, purpose for being here etc it all results to nothing, there is no point to life really, you can come and go and in a few years, you'll be forgotten. I guess religious people use it as a drive to move them through life believing in a purpose.

I say if you need that reasoning and it helps you achieve or deal with things in your life, what's the problem. Live and let live :)

• Like 3

To be fair this thread is in response to a survey I recently saw which stated half of UK citizens now think religion causes more harm than good. Maybe that should have been my title :)

I'm happily in that half.

For the spirit of this thread, I wont say what I think about religion out of respect for other members, but I believe religion causes more harm than good.

The day we have no religions is the day we achieve world peace.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion aslong as it is expressed fairly, respectfully and reasonably :thumbs:

In a way, this thread is a good example of how religion exerts control. It's one of the great tricks of some religions - tell people they must have faith in something for which there is no proof and come down on anyone who dares to criticise.

It's not appropriate to be deliberately offensive or incite hate, but that's a very different thing to not expressing a rational opinion because someone might claim to be offended by it. It's fine to criticise religion in a free country as long as it's done in a rational way; just as it's fine to criticise atheism.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I'm not religious but when you sit and think about the bigger picture, existence, purpose for being here etc it all results to nothing, there is no point to life really, you can come and go and in a few years, you'll be forgotten.

Well arnt you a little ray of sunshine this morning ;)

• Like 1

I'm not religious but when you sit and think about the bigger picture, existence, purpose for being here etc it all results to nothing, there is no point to life really, you can come and go and in a few years, you'll be forgotten.

:D At least I don't set fireworks off to annoy dogs.

• Like 4

:D At least I don't set fireworks off to annoy dogs.

#BecauseDiwali

My Grandfather was an Orangeman in Liverpool, back then they had a marching season too but that ended during WW2. My Mother also held strong beliefs but my Father like me was an atheist. Caroline was brought up as a Catholic but I'd say she has no real beliefs as such. Interesting that some people have mentioned the Jehova Witnesses, somehow or other they found us and visit every couple of weeks or so. The guy who comes here seems a decent guy and most of the time we talk about everything but religion :) . They have some weird beliefs that completely contradict science but TBH they aren't pushy and I quite enjoy our chats.

When it comes to life in general though I do to the main follow Christian practices and try to be a good person (just in case :surrender: ).

Pete

• Like 1

i'm an atheist, personally I think religion is rather outdated now and its purpose has mainly been nullified by science - genetics and evolution.

that said, some religions have some good ideas (and some forms of religions have some very bad ones) but at the end of the day we should believe in people, not gods. humanitarianism is they way forward, treat other people with respect, treat others as you would have them treat you.

• Like 3

I find it funny that as soon as anyone mentions that religion's could be responsible for an conflicts there are always defenders, I base my opinions on my history lesson's and whether I believed or not I would still hold the same opinion, but I guess I must have been misinformed.

If people didn't fight over religion they would fight over something else, to suggest religion is responsible is a bit silly in my opinion. Religion is a tool people use as an excuse to perpetrate the things they do.

There are plenty of people that practice the same religion in a peaceful manner as well as the ones that use it to go to war or start a conflict. In a world without religion do you really think those people would suddenly become sedate and mild mannered? Nope, they will find another excuse to inflict pain and suffering on others.

In an odd example it's much like someone driving a car through your house, would you blame the car or the driver?