New project..... Datsun 240z

grahamc

Went down to the bodyshop today.... car is mostly stripped and the remainder of the items will be stripped. No more hidden nasties, the front inner fenders are the worst and sadly its general the first thing to go. Sunroof has been removed and no damage there, just need to seal it up and get a new rooflining.

Shell and parts will getting blasted in the early parts of January.

I need a couple of parts, but nothing too serious:-

1. Passenger side fender (worst case I only need the front section/half)

2. Front windscreen, it had a few chips in the screen, but they cracked when the screen was taken out

3. Front slam panel (well not sure if thats the right name, since the bonnet does not close on it)

4. Dash repair or dash console

Looks like everyone is confident to have the car finished by spring 2015, the aim is to have it ready for a Nissan Experience day.... which looks possible :)

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2

Nice to see some good progress, I'm not surprised to see the rot behind the wings. Thankfully mine is in good condition, I was shocked to see that these parts are bare metal from the factory :scare:

Floors look pretty good, have you checked around the inlet for the heating fan?

Nice to see some good progress, I'm not surprised to see the rot behind the wings. Thankfully mine is in good condition, I was shocked to see that these parts are bare metal from the factory :scare:

Floors look pretty good, have you checked around the inlet for the heating fan?

Not many that know these old Zs were surprised by it, sadly. Yes rather shocking, but all these old cars have these sorts of moisture traps. All of the dash is out and check and there is nothing there, so quite happy with that.

Floors are decent, but they are going to be replaced... there is a little rust around the the edge and I would rather replace it now while the car is in pieces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, its just wallet for me.... I dont have the patience, skills, knowledge, tools or space for a project like this - would love to acquire it, but then the lack of patience kicks in and I do something else :)

I just cant wait to drive it!

wow that is one cool car.

i haven't seen one for years. and just checked asking prices for sale. i had no idea!

where did they all go? all of them up to the 350 just disappeared!

I hope to buy a 370z tomorrow and have Holden Torana lx hatchback in my parents garage... i think. if they haven't disposed of it.... :p

hope to see it for real not just photos sometime.

Edited by chips

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sound deadening has all been removed and the car has been blasted. Car is back at the workshop, radiator support and floor pans have been dropped off, now the work begins.

Unfortunately I didnt have time to take photos, I was late.... and the guy that normally takes pictures has been sick.

Hopefully should have some this week or next.

• Like 1

Thanks all.... lots of hard work ahead (for the bodyshop :) thankfully) but really looking forward to getting this done :D

Looking forward to some pics. You mentioned blasting, I'm probably telling you what you already know but the sooner you get some primer on the better. Blasted bare metal will flash rust within 4 hours especially at this time of year.

It already has a rough grey primer on it :)

The guys have their work cut out for them now.... to get it all repaired and ready for spraying :) this is where it starts getting good.

Edited by grahamc

• 4 weeks later...

Update - the car has been soda blasted and the guys have been progressing with the doors.

Photo69_zpsl7lo0vok.jpg

Photo70_zpslwtnfle5.jpg

Photo65_zpspd2ibdgg.jpg

Photo67_zpsgc5dwruh.jpg

Photo68_zps0oqvuccl.jpg

Photo71_zpsuos6venj.jpg

Photo72_zpsgpibpopx.jpg

Photo73_zpshnsppfqn.jpg

Photo74_zps78lhdomm.jpg

In a couple of days I am off on holiday to South Africa for 5 weeks, so will be no updates during that time - but hopefully lots of progress :)

• Like 1