Massive garage bill

Randy_Baton

From looking around the parts are cheap, so now you have to ask yourself whether or not they have spent the best part of 20/30 hours replacing them??? Which is insane.

I won't be recommending this place again if there isn't a decent explanation of the cost, which is a shame as I'm so close and they seemed a very good garage. :(

The lines themselves are easy to make and fit. It's often the extra effort of having to drop the fuel tank or diff if your lines go underneath these items.

I had 1 front to back line done on an E46 beemer the other year which cost me £280, and then last year on the Range Rover Sport i had the same job at the same garage and it only cost me £80.

Your main costs are coming from a garage charging £65+vat an hour though. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

I had about a metre of rear brake pipe replaced on a Mondeo I had and that cost about £30 tops.

Brake pipe retails at about £1.50 / metre with a few fittings thrown in shouldnt cost much to replace.

You need an itemised bill and a good explanation!!

Can you give us a complete list of what you originally asked the garage to do and what you supplied to them? £1000 for a service is bullish!t!

Drop links are £70-£80 a PAIR for genuine Nissan and I'd be very interested to hear what brake disks they have fitted and how much they are charging for them.

From looking around the parts are cheap, so now you have to ask yourself whether or not they have spent the best part of 20/30 hours replacing them??? Which is insane.

I won't be recommending this place again if there isn't a decent explanation of the cost, which is a shame as I'm so close and they seemed a very good garage. :(

Maybe I got the price wrong and its 1k for the service and £800 for the brakes + discs, not 1k +1.8k

Can you give us a complete list of what you originally asked the garage to do and what you supplied to them? £1000 for a service is bullish!t!

Service items

Engine oil filter and oil change (oil filter will be provided)

Brake fluid change

Spark plug change (spark plugs will be provided)

Aux belts change (both aux belts will be provided)

Gear box and dif oil change inc.

Additional work (all items provided)

New brake pads, all wheels - one of the brake had seized.

Fit new wheel arch liners both front wheels

Fit new radiator fan set (Non oem so needed rewiring)

Re-attach under tray + W brace cover

Investigate and fix rattling from back (this was the heat shield corroding, just needed bigger washers

extend wires that connect LED reflectors with side bulbs

Edited by Randy_Baton

Service items

Engine oil filter and oil change (oil filter will be provided)

Brake fluid change

Spark plug change (spark plugs will be provided)

Aux belts change (both aux belts will be provided)

Gear box and dif oil change inc.

Additional work (all items will be provided)

New brake pads, all wheels

Fit new wheel arch liners both front wheels

Fit new radiator fan set (Non oem so needs rewiring

Re-attach under tray + W brace cover

Investigate and fix rattling from back (this was the heat shield corroding, just needed bigger washers

I would expect the service to cost in the region of £350-£400. The plugs are about £100 of that. The additional work should be done in 5 hours MAX and thats with an idiot like me doing it, so another £300 or so. If I was told anything more than about £800 for that I'd laugh at them.

The original quote was 5 hours for the service + 3 hours for the arch liners and brakes. This was agreed by email.

I believe the fan took 1-2 hours as the wiring wasn't standard and there weren't any wiring instructions + say another hour for the the other bits that's 11 hours + there is the cost of the oil and un-seizing the brake calliper.

I'm not too bothered if it cost ~£200 more if there were issues. Its the brake things that's putting me over the edge.

Edited by Randy_Baton

Checking my cars history, I would expect that lot to set you back about £800 (previous invoice from Abbey MS, who charge £65/hour).

3 hours for arch liners and brakes to be changed?? Should have come around mine with some beers and we could have done it on the drive way..!

Edited by mouthwash

You really need to be telling us who this is. Keeping quiet helps no-one.

I make it £715 for the labour alone, plus the oil, discs and lines. Call that another £400 (I'm being pessimistic here), and that's £1100, which ties in with your guesstimate.

Has the work been completed to a high standard?

You really need to be telling us who this is. Keeping quiet helps no-one.

I make it £715 for the labour alone, plus the oil, discs and lines. Call that another £400 (I'm being pessimistic here), and that's £1100, which ties in with your guesstimate.

Has the work been completed to a high standard?

Well I don't want to name or shame until I'm 100% on what's gone on.

I'm picking up the car on Monday/Tuesday. I saw the car after the service and everything looked good. I don't know how much of the brake work I'll be able to verify though. They have worked on at least 2 other members cars frequently and they have no complaints over the workmanship.

They are currently respraying the front end for £350 (which was cheap due to the cost of the other work) but the colours not right. They said its been resprayed before so isn't an exact OEM tint (possible but there is no record of it) and needs a further respray. Even then £700 for bonnet bumper and wings is still reasonable.

The first £1k was for the service and other bits, it was ready to go, the guy just wanted to test it first. The brake pipe issue was then found, so some of the manual work may have needed to be done twice (getting the wheels off, brake fluid, bleeding etc). I'm hoping I'm wrong and the brake issue is £800 not £1800.

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 1

You can check under the car when it's up on their ramps, when you pick it up. Take photos then, you may not get an easier chance!

Get them to email you the bill before collection: If you pay up the full amount when you get there, it's going to make it awkward to get your money back and then we can't help you. You need to have the argument before you pay a penny.

• Like 1

I'd say share who the garage is, it's not slander as it's the same as me putting up the cost of some work done by carpet right and asking if the bill looks ok compared to other people.

Keeping the parts which came off is useless, as they could be from any car, a garage will have hundreds of bits laying about, all they need to do is pick up some of the worst they've found so far.