change of career needed

nissanman312

I currently work in demolition industry and it pays well however spend a lot of time working away from home and don't enjoy that so much hence the want for a change.

I'm going to apply to jlr but also think I would love to own my own business and like the idea of detailing cars.

I think I'm going to take a couple of years trying to find out what I want to do for the rest of my life

So anybody want to teach me the detailing game or have any suggestions

Random topic I know but I'm sat in a boring hotel room contemplating lol

Edited by nissanman312

Get to some detailing shows, look at as much on line material as you can, and practice would be my advice.

Different detailers prefer different products, you will also have to look in to getting accounts with suppliers etc as I imagine you will chew through products like no tomorrow.

. . . . you could always stalk Ricey and watch him from the nearest bush :lol:

• Like 1

the only advice i can give is stay away from the building industry, Im a plumber and hate it.

Hope you find something you can enjoy.

wow! is it really that bad??? different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm not a plumber but I always thought it paid well. I sure hope it does because if you hate your job and it doesn't even pay well, that really is a kick in the head. :surrender:

I suppose I like the challenging nature of our insurance scheme.

It was set up from nothing - just an idea that the users of car forums would probably look after their cars on the road arguably more than non forum users and therefore have less claims overall which means premiums could be lower.

When it was put into action, it was realised that this was the very case - the claims stats were low - and it's been a great success ever since.

I also like it when people post their nice feedback about the scheme! Especially yesterday when I posted for people to ring us because of the good feedback we'd had in the last week & one chap rung us 3 hours later and said we saved him over £200!

Makes it all worthwhile :)

• Like 2

Not trying to shatter your dreams as obviously somebody has to get the work but I think it would be folly to launch yourself into it full time without building up a bit of a portfolio of regular customers.

I think you'd might need to increase the scope of your offering to include less high end stuff - maybe a bit of PDR, alloy refurbs, paint repairs etc - as detailing work that pays is pretty hard to find and is pretty time intensive.

I know hundreds of mid to high net worth individuals in my area through work and I don't know many who use detailers.

And because by definition - if you do a good job, you may not see a car for 6 months you will need to find a lot of customers.

As somebody said go and do some training - there are firms who will teach you detailing, PDR and paint repairs.

Not trying to shatter your dreams as obviously somebody has to get the work but I think it would be folly to launch yourself into it full time without building up a bit of a portfolio of regular customers.

I think you'd might need to increase the scope of your offering to include less high end stuff - maybe a bit of PDR, alloy refurbs, paint repairs etc - as detailing work that pays is pretty hard to find and is pretty time intensive.

I know hundreds of mid to high net worth individuals in my area through work and I don't know many who use detailers.

And because by definition - if you do a good job, you may not see a car for 6 months you will need to find a lot of customers.

As somebody said go and do some training - there are firms who will teach you detailing, PDR and paint repairs.

All good points Apreciate it

Other option is I start a demolition company rape loads of steel and buy my dream gtr lol

I can dream

Get to some detailing shows, look at as much on line material as you can, and practice would be my advice.

Different detailers prefer different products, you will also have to look in to getting accounts with suppliers etc as I imagine you will chew through products like no tomorrow.

My friend is running organising a show but I think it's next year for detailing, PDR, Smart repair etc.

With detailing you would be surprised at the level of technical knowledge (look at ilogikals threads) and practical skill that you need.

Even to knowing the characteristics of each manufacturers paint!

Bloody expensive to set up as well. Don't assume it's a bucket and a few bottles of meguiars.

Drop me a PM if you've got any questions though.

My friend is running organising a show but I think it's next year for detailing, PDR, Smart repair etc.

With detailing you would be surprised at the level of technical knowledge (look at ilogikals threads) and practical skill that you need.

Even to knowing the characteristics of each manufacturers paint!

Bloody expensive to set up as well. Don't assume it's a bucket and a few bottles of meguiars.

Drop me a PM if you've got any questions though.

2 buckets ? :lol: