HELP..Stupid Mistake

Dicky

Fitted new rear drop links last week and just noticed I've lost my locking wheel nut socket. Think I must have left it on the last wheel I refitted and then driove off. Searched the street, drains, car, garage , everywhere but no luck.

Anyone know how to get around this.

Is it possible to get hold of a new one or are they unique to the locking wheel nut?

If they are OEM, there are a finite number of sets.

However the number of your set is stamped on the locking key nut itself.

Although IIRC there is a wee bit of paper with the number on it that comes with the car.

Your local Nissan garage should be able to supply a new one, or buy a new set of locking nuts and key and get them to take the old ones off :shrug:

But how would they get the old ones off and would It wreck the wheel ? I'm going to ring the dealer tomorrow.

Well tried the 19mm socket trick but no success. The locking wheel nut is round and the 19mm skt wouldn't go near it nor would the 20 mm. As far as I can see you would need to really hit it with some force to get the socket on.

Anyone know if the RAC carry keys or some gizmo to get these off. There must be someone somewhere as daft as me!

Thank goodness the dealer can sort this. I had visions of maybe welding something to the locking nut to get it off but destroying the wheel in the process. Or having to drill into it and using extractors to get them out, costing big bucks.

Once this is sorted I'm going to leave the locking nuts off and put the original wheel nut back on. The cars garaged all the time and I really leave it anywhere. Also everyone has alloys these days.

I contacted Nissan as they were fitted by the dealer but they couldn't help

So I contacted mcgard, they asked for a good photo of the locking nut and some vehicle details

£18 for a new key or £28 for two iirc, they arrived in 2 days

Hth

Having now seen this, I think mine must have been £28 for 2 as well - I wouldn't have paid £56 for 2!

Dicky, the method Lexx mentioned does work, I've used that method myself on more than one occasion. What you need is to get a lump hammer and really belt the socket onto the lock nut. If you have any old English sized sockets that you don't mind knackering up and that are an interference fit then use one of those. Put the car in first and the handbrake on tightly and with a nice long breaker bar slowly rock backwards and forwards and then suddenly give it a good wrench and the offending lock nut should come free. Use an old wheel nut until you can get down to the dealers and free the lock nut from the socket with a punch. This does work!!!

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me a week ago, 350z's were supplied with mcgard locking wheel nuts so as gixxer said all you need to do is contact them.

They are in germany but its free to phone them 00800 25 99 34 00.

Thats the direct number to the order hotline, £18 quid and free delivery, they ask for a photocopy of your v5 and driving license and a picture of the nut, thats it.

if worse came to worse, you wouldn't damage the wheel but more the wheel nut. I have done exactly the same as you before but on a locking nut that I couldn't find a replacement for. So, I just hammered on a socket that was just a little too small making it really tight, then used a breaker bar to undo it. It worked but it cost me a socket and a wheel nut.

• Like 1

Sounds a lot cheaper and less hassle/stroke things going wrong to me, to go to a Nissan dealer for a replacement key.

But I guess you have already damaged one so a new locking set looks on the cards anyways as I doubt you would get just one locking nut to match the other three.

Samsniss350/Rock-Steady..............does the socket tend to last out for all 4 wheels ie can you get it off again and use it again

or would I need a couple of sockets?

I did manage to get the locking nut out of the socket by shocking it out with a hammer, but i'll admit by the time I got to the last locking nut it had started to slip. Still got it off though.

Samsniss350/Rock-Steady..............does the socket tend to last out for all 4 wheels ie can you get it off again and use it again

or would I need a couple of sockets?

Unless its a cheap socket it will. Ive done exactly this on a mates car earlier in the year. He`d lost his locking nut and had 3 bald tyres in desperate need of changing. I used a lump hammer and an impact socket. Hammered socket onto locking wheel nut, then just undid with a breaker bar. To get the socket off the nut just use a screw driver or something to drive the nut out. Then do the same on the other wheels.

PANIC OVER! Took the car to the local dealer (before attempting the socket manoeuvre) who brought out their lock nut set and job done. Got them to leave the locking nuts off and replace the original wheel nuts. Not going through this again.

The guy said if thief's want your wheels, locking nuts won't stop them.

Thanks to all who contributed, your all going on my Xmas card list!

• Like 3