Update P2 - The Frogster Still keepin it Green at the Z Shed

Keyser

Any videos of the Frogster on the move Keyser?

Bet it sounds good with that bike engine. B);)

Not yet - but Go Pro mounts came with the car so will get something up after the weekend hopefully :thumbs:

@ Humpy - Love to take you out mate :)

@ Wills - Not much leg room but no restriction on head room - I'm sure we can squeeze you in mate.

• Like 3

Love the new toy Chris, and i bet it sounds amazing on full chat!

Those blue Luke towing straps look familiar :innocent:

Will pop round soon for a look

:lol:

Yes a really nice bloke donated one to me and one to Buster but I swapped an old HKS oil cap for the one Buster had :lol:

Thanks mate - they came in Handy :teeth:

Edited by Keyser

So we went round track at Bedford for the shake down -

It was fun but I found a few problems -

1. The steering wheel bent slightly - Need a better quality one :thumbs:

2. Possible fuel surge on hard right hand bends - not sure if that is what it is I am investigating and looking at swirl pots etc to see what the best solution is.

3. I thought the car was leaning to the left slightly at one point earlier in the day and on the last lap of my last run it definitely lurched down on the front left corner, :scare:

Also when we loaded her on the trailer she touched the front bar and was just above it on the way up - but it was 5pm we had a long drive so we left it until the weekend to find out what went wrong.

KODC0810_zps2b90c562.jpg

Now I'm not an expert in these matters but when I removed the engine cover and took a look at the front suspension my first thought was - that does not look quite right :lol:

KODC0811_zps64d5ba8c.jpg

Sure enough on closer examination I think my diagnosis was confirmed

KODC0812_zps808d5e1c.jpg

Took both units out and what do you know -

KODC0813_zpsb37215cf.jpg

I'm sure this bit should be screwed to that bit :thumbs:

Like so -

KODC0815_zps4d8e64cc.jpg

Re-assemble

KODC0816_zpsa1c6592b.jpg

All is good with the suspension again, Must have been the extreme vibration that shook that locking nut free - or it was never tightened :shrug:

Just glad it did it on the cool down on the way back into the pits could have been worse at hight speed turning in :scare::scare: (<- stole that from Will ;) )

Keeping it Green

• 1 month later...

OK Time for an over haul :thumbs:

After a fairly crappy year so far and no chance to anything much for myself I actually had a weekend to play in the Zed shed :yahoo:

Started with a service on Nigel's lovely Azure 350 (used to be pimms) then onto the Green machine to start some improvements!

Problems to address -

Horn works but not when the headlights are on :lol:

When you shake the wiring behind the dash the horn goes off (unless the lights are on :) )

No main beam

Gear shift is awkward - The paddle shifter hits the steering wheel which brings me to the next problem

Steering wheel has loads of play in it mainly in the quick release and the steering wheel itself bends :scare:

My main problem (discovered on track) I get an engine cut on hard right corners - great for drifting as it induces huge amounts of lift off over-steer but crap for lap times and fast cornering!

Start removing bits

KODC0843_zps36ba5775.jpg

KODC0844_zps1428a5c6.jpg

KODC0856_zpsa5c6a465.jpg

So on with the fun under the dash -

Spare wires?

KODC0849_zps17f02317.jpg

Looks tidy NOT

KODC0850_zps8f42b707.jpg

KODC0845_zps556b71e3.jpg

bare wires

KODC0846_zps63c4581c.jpg

nicked wires

KODC0848_zps33e21558.jpg

just a mess

KODC0854_zpsc21d832f.jpg

Started to strip things out - starting with this aftermarket immobiliser , 2 reasons 1. it may be the fault causing the engine cut on corners and 2. I don't want or need it just hassle to disarm when I want to start the car. Also the install was a very poor job, the wiring is disgusting no solder just twisted together and a bit of tape wrapped round.

KODC0852_zpsac358209.jpg

They also tried to hide the mess when they had finished with zip ties but they did it so tight it pulled the wires off the one switch, broke the headlight switch and pulled the horn wires so close together any movement created a short!

KODC0857_zpsded711c2.jpg

After removing the zip ties and straightening things out it started to look better

KODC0853_zps60bf962e.jpg

Starting to get it tidy now with the new switch in and everything connected

KODC0859_zpsf55a48d1.jpg

Found the tilt sensor hiding in the wiring - this could also be a cause for the engine cut -

KODC0880_zps710e3274.jpg

Thanks to the R1 forum for the guide on how to disable the tilt sensor - all it takes is a drop of super glue in the right place

KODC0881_zps844c37f5.jpg

KODC0882_zps43cdcf3f.jpg

Now it thinks its upright at any angle :thumbs:

More in just a moment ....................................................

• Like 2

Next up I checked out the fuel system to see if it was fuel starvation on corners I found a kink in the fuel line -

KODC0840_zpsece54f63.jpg

KODC0841_zps9191d5d4.jpg

Rerouted that

KODC0839_zpsce5a0e89.jpg

We also re,oved the fuel tank and ran a test drive with a smaller see through tank (a coke bottle :lol:) to test for fuel surge in the tank, (this was before the rewire) no improvement though so reassembled everything and tested it 1 more time.

Even more coming .........................................

Onto the steering problems,

First thing was strength, the last 30cm or so of the steering column from the main bearing to the steering wheel just "hangs" inside a tube which is a lot wider than it, this allows a lot of play when heavy pressure is applied, it's not all the time but high speed cornering I do find I lean on the wheel (need better bucket seats :lol: ) and the only thing that takes the weight is a pathetic little bearing that is also a lose fit,

So I got some bits of heavy weight steel tube

KODC0861_zpsb59f7e55.jpg

Cut the first one

KODC0860_zpsc6116dc2.jpg

drilled some wholes in the hanger

KODC0863_zpsf1669f3c.jpg

Hammered the 2 together

KODC0865_zpsab784abd.jpg

plug welded

KODC0866_zps8b1e1611.jpg

cleaned up

KODC0867_zps2c532ced.jpg

Next I set about the column, marked it up

KODC0870_zps079919e7.jpg

Cut it off

KODC0871_zps8b9788b3.jpg

KODC0872_zps5ae546c2.jpg

lined up another sleeve

KODC0873_zpse7234775.jpg

tack weld

KODC0874_zpscfeb462f.jpg

Lined up the new quick release spigot and welded it all together

KODC0876_zps35d153b9.jpg

This is the silly little bearing

KODC0868_zps73618078.jpg

Removed the bearing from the collar

KODC0869_zpscb6b70c6.jpg

Nice new momo steering wheel :cloud9:

KODC0875_zps3764da9c.jpg

All welded (I also extended it about 2cm to help clear the paddle shift

KODC0877_zps3e47b4d6.jpg

Then -

KODC0878_zps969a3400.jpg

Primer

KODC0879_zpsb852c347.jpg

Then paint but I didn't take a picture of that :doh:

Ok I then bolted it all back together and the results were ....................

Horn now works all the time

When you shake the wiring behind the dash the horn goes off (unless the lights are on :) )

Not any more

No main beam

Now all lights working

Gear shift is awkward - The paddle shifter hits the steering wheel which brings me to the next problem

Easy now clears the wheel and shift is a lot cleaner

Steering wheel has loads of play in it mainly in the quick release and the steering wheel itself bends :scare:

Momo is solid and no play

My main problem (discovered on track) I get an engine cut on hard right corners - great for drifting as it induces huge amounts of lift off over-steer but crap for lap times and fast cornering!

On test the engine cut is no longer there so something in the wiring was not happy but it's all good now :thumbs::yahoo:

All in all a successful weekend - just need to get another track day booked :drive1:

Keeping it Green

• Like 2

OK Time for an over haul :thumbs:

After a fairly crappy year so far and no chance to anything much for myself I actually had a weekend to play in the Zed shed :yahoo:

Started with a service on Nigel's lovely Azure 350 (used to be pimms) then onto the Green machine to start some improvements!

Problems to address -

No main beam

Start removing bits

KODC0843_zps36ba5775.jpg

KODC0844_zps1428a5c6.jpg

KODC0856_zpsa5c6a465.jpg

So on with the fun under the dash -

Spare wires?

KODC0849_zps17f02317.jpg

Looks tidy NOT

KODC0850_zps8f42b707.jpg

KODC0845_zps556b71e3.jpg

bare wires

KODC0846_zps63c4581c.jpg

nicked wires

KODC0848_zps33e21558.jpg

just a mess

KODC0854_zpsc21d832f.jpg

Started to strip things out - starting with this aftermarket immobiliser , 2 reasons 1. it may be the fault causing the engine cut on corners and 2. I don't want or need it just hassle to disarm when I want to start the car. Also the install was a very poor job, the wiring is disgusting no solder just twisted together and a bit of tape wrapped round.

KODC0852_zpsac358209.jpg

They also tried to hide the mess when they had finished with zip ties but they did it so tight it pulled the wires off the one switch, broke the headlight switch and pulled the horn wires so close together any movement created a short!

KODC0857_zpsded711c2.jpg

After removing the zip ties and straightening things out it started to look better

KODC0853_zps60bf962e.jpg

Starting to get it tidy now with the new switch in and everything connected

KODC0859_zpsf55a48d1.jpg

Found the tilt sensor hiding in the wiring - this could also be a cause for the engine cut -

KODC0880_zps710e3274.jpg

Thanks to the R1 forum for the guide on how to disable the tilt sensor - all it takes is a drop of super glue in the right place

KODC0881_zps844c37f5.jpg

KODC0882_zps43cdcf3f.jpg

Now it thinks its upright at any angle :thumbs:

More in just a moment ....................................................

This a classic example of the woes which can bestowe the purchaser of a car with a smaller engine than the wiring loom......

Great news Keyser and very well done sorting that list of problems especially the steering wheel/quick release issue. ;)

Thanks mate - was a bit of a job and there is loads more to do on the wiring when I get a chance but at least it's all working again.

@ Andy - just thought I'd get some practice in for that little job for you this week ;)

O and it may be small but it packs a punch :p

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Great news Keyser and very well done sorting that list of problems especially the steering wheel/quick release issue. ;)

Thanks mate - was a bit of a job and there is loads more to do on the wiring when I get a chance but at least it's all working again.

@ Andy - just thought I'd get some practice in for that little job for you this week ;)

O and it may be small but it packs a punch :p

Just plugging in the soldering iron! eeeek.