Headlight Restoration using Gtechniq C4 & Sandpaper

Diab2005

Hi Guys

I've had a read of other posts relating to this topic and just wanted a bit of a confidence boost with my current plan.

I've read up on the potential of the Meguiars headlight restoration kit and come across some reviews saying it didn't make much difference and given how cloudy my lights are i've disregarded that option a little given the price of the kit! I want to make sure it's a good job so I came across the sand paper option.

I plan on wet sanding the lights going from I believe 1500 -> 2000 -> 3000...please correct me if that's wrong.

I then plan on using Gtecniques C4 as a UV sealant...i've read it's really good for this. (One thing that did worry me is a site that says it drys matte black once removed???...I'm guessing this doesn't happen otherwise I would be fairly p*ssed if I ended up with blacked out headlights).

To finish off ill prob just go over with some carnaubau wax I use for the bodywork...

So basically as my DIY skills aren't the most amazing I wondered if people had any tips for this particular process or amendments to my current plan?? I know there have been similar posts but like I said i'm just after some advice relating to this specific plan...primarily to give me the confidence to start sanding away at the headlights.

Any help/comments appreciated

UV protection I never bother. I only really need to clean the lights once a year. The meguiars paint cleaner is only lightly abrasive if at all.

Then I just wax the headlights while I do the rest of the car. As others have said just go polish them, they soon clean.

I used the Meguiars headlight restoration kit which worked wonders on my cars fogged headlights.

I did try other products as I mention in this post from another thread regarding headlight restoration...

See you say that Dave but I disagree.

I tried Meguairs ScratchX 2.0, Autosol, Uncle Pooters Blue Bullet and a few other products on my headlights and none of them got them to look as good as they do now after using the Meguairs headlight restoration kit.

Maybe my headlights where in worse condition than some others but they looked basically identical to the pictures Adrian_CNC posted and only the Meguairs kit with the sanding pads got them back to new condition again. Just my experience. :thumbs:

P.s. I don't work for Meguairs fyi so have no reason to favour their products over others. :lol:;)

If you haven't seen yet Diab2005 the new version of the Meguairs kit comes with two sanding pads which have four different grades of sand paper on them. This is what I used and it worked great on my 2003 Zeds lights.

Link to the thread in case you're interested; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/78798-headlights-fogged-up-help/

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Just use sandpaper or wet&dry like you mentioned with any abrasive cleaner, metal polish, tcut, toothpaste, rubbing compound etc etc it is possible by hand with some real elbow grease or better still a DA polisher if you have one :)

I used megs metal polish as I had some already for my exhaust and the headlights on my 2004 Zed came up like new B)

• Like 1

Yea i've read up on that part of the sanding but after reading the posts (I had seen yours GMballistic) when researching; I think i'm going to go for the Meguiars kit with the sanding pads as thats kind of best of both worlds.

I've got some Colonite 476 which I use on the bodywork so may try just putting that on afterwards.

The metal polish is in an interesting idea as I actually do need some for my exhaust so could kill two birds with one stone on that one.

GMBallistic did you use any polish after the kit or was the kit alone sufficient??

Again thanks for the input guys

Edited by Diab2005

Megs metal polish is good stuff, keeps the exhaust shiny and a quick buff of the headlights keeps them tip top, quite a few of us on here were using it years ago there will be posts somewhere I expect, you really don't need any fancy special kits but your choice :) maybe get some metal polish for the exhaust and try it on the lights, if it doesn't work for you (it will) then you haven't lost anything and have a shiny zorst ;)

maybe get some metal polish for the exhaust and try it on the lights, if it doesn't work for you (it will) then you haven't lost anything and have a shiny zorst ;)

This is a good idea Diab2005 as if it doesn't work for you then you've lost nothing as you needed the metal polish anyway. ;)

Also to answer your earlier question I used everything that came in the Megs kit plus afterwards I used "Turtle Wax Ice" synthetic paste polish as a UV barrier but tbh I don't think it will work as well as GTechniq C4 which is what I intend using as soon as I get round to buying it. :thumbs:

As quoted on here wetsand (soak the paper overnight if possible) work up the grades so what you have to polish out is only light sanding marks instead of something like 1500 grit which takes abit of effort. If you want to seal them with something tr something like gtechniq c1 or opti coat 2.0. C4 is completely the wrong product it's for plastic trim restoration like the arches on mini etc and the scuttle of a zed. My small issue with the c1 is it isn't too heat tolerable so might not work aswell as normal due to temperature issues.

If you want to seal them with something tr something like gtechniq c1 or opti coat 2.0. C4 is completely the wrong product it's for plastic trim restoration like the arches on mini etc and the scuttle of a zed. My small issue with the c1 is it isn't too heat tolerable so might not work aswell as normal due to temperature issues.

Hhhmm see what I had heard is that C4 is designed for plastics & the headlight lenses are plastic ~ well Polycarbonate. So C4 should work.

Looking at C1 I see it mentioning paintwork a lot but nothing about plastics? :dry:

What about this stuff; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121245147700&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Any tips appreciated. ;)

Hmmm I must admit to never using it for headlights as it was classed as a trim dressing but seeing a post on another forum suggests it's the same stuff as c1,c5 etc so yeah should work.

Plenty of threads on dw showing c1 used on the lights but who knows which is best, @gm silo seal isn't a bad alternative not quite as durable and tough as the c1,c4 etc but much easier to apply. To throw this in also Exo v2 is a very good product which you could use on the lights, body work wheels,windows etc.

• Like 1

Right change of plan again then..im gonna get some megs metal polish..had a quick look and theres alot available..which is the best metal polish for the job?

SMD what do you use mate? How long will it keep the lights clean/clear for generally?

Ill get some before/after photos up.