Headlight Restoration using Gtechniq C4 & Sandpaper

Diab2005

Megs metal polish is good stuff, keeps the exhaust shiny and a quick buff of the headlights keeps them tip top, quite a few of us on here were using it years ago there will be posts somewhere I expect, you really don't need any fancy special kits but your choice :) maybe get some metal polish for the exhaust and try it on the lights, if it doesn't work for you (it will) then you haven't lost anything and have a shiny zorst ;)

Is this the stuff your talking about mate: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-NXT-Generation-Metal-Polysh/dp/B0009U7Y14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408550367&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiar%27s+metal+polish

Megs metal polish is good stuff, keeps the exhaust shiny and a quick buff of the headlights keeps them tip top, quite a few of us on here were using it years ago there will be posts somewhere I expect, you really don't need any fancy special kits but your choice :) maybe get some metal polish for the exhaust and try it on the lights, if it doesn't work for you (it will) then you haven't lost anything and have a shiny zorst ;)

Is this the stuff your talking about mate: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-NXT-Generation-Metal-Polysh/dp/B0009U7Y14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408550367&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiar%27s+metal+polish

Yeah thats the stuff mate, superb on the Zorst and does a great job on the lights too, brucie bonus :)

t cut and elbows! but i have found after a year they are getting yellowish again.;

Much easier if you use your hands though, :D ...I mean how would you hold the rag with your elbows? :lol:;)

@nimbus ~ thanks for the reply. C4 it is then for me eventually as I'm going to do some trim around the car whilst I'm at it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just to clarify a few points;

Firstly, C4 doesn't cure matte black at all, it cures transparent/clear & glossy so will be fine for the headlights.

Secondly, C1, C4 and C5 are all the same product, the only difference is the marketing. Any & all will bond quite happily to the polycarbonate headlight lenses, as will Exo. Also, being a coating, they will have no issues withstanding the heat from the headlights.

Also, as Exo's been thrown out there too, if you want maximum durability a layer of either C1/4/5 topped with Exo would be the way to go.

• Like 1

Skahigh get some photos up of your before/after and i'll do the same just using the metal polish will help to see the difference between the kit and metal polish...

Obviously people will have to take into account that mine was done by myself and will obviously be a bit better as a result of my sheer natural talent ;):lol:

Edited by Diab2005
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got round to using the Meguiars Metal polish this weekend. I'm quite impressed with the difference the only issue is that on the right light it seems that the clouding is on the inside of the light...its noticeable if you are looking close up but head on you can't see it. Here's the results...funnily enough the left handside was the worst and actually ended up coming out better than the right...

swDA1z.jpg

e3DJNG.jpg

szvwrl.jpg

R5GpYa.jpg

R67pFW.jpg

wKzYnD.jpg

1LdjpD.jpg

jhYHOa.jpg

C5s3FB.jpg

2bGKuv.jpg

Edited by Diab2005

Ok so the picture I can see of the drivers side headlight still looks pretty bad (as you mentioned). :byebye:

It's hard to tell obviously without seeing it in person but mine was pretty bad and although difficult to tell it was actually outside damage. The different grades of wet & dry paper is what made the difference to mine.

If I was you I'd try using wet & dry sand paper on that with loads of water followed by the metal polish you've been using. :thumbs:

I got round to using the Meguiars Metal polish this weekend. I'm quite impressed with the difference the only issue is that on the right light it seems that the clouding is on the inside of the light...its noticeable if you are looking close up but head on you can't see it. Here's the results...funnily enough the left handside was the worst and actually ended up coming out better than the right...

swDA1z.jpg

e3DJNG.jpg

szvwrl.jpg

R5GpYa.jpg

R67pFW.jpg

wKzYnD.jpg

1LdjpD.jpg

jhYHOa.jpg

C5s3FB.jpg

2bGKuv.jpg

All sorted ;)

My daughter's getting ready to sell her 'R' reg MX5 - the headlamps were yellow with crud. All I needed to do was give my son-in-law a bit of Brasso and tell him to rub. 10 minutes later - 2 'brand new' headlamps. He has his uses, as my mother-in-law used to say.

Edit - I could have made a better job of it myself, but I was getting pi**ed off with him standing behind me watching, like it was a free show.

Edited by chubbster
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...