Any bikers here?

skahigh

Been riding on the road since 16, in now 26. Had to progress from 50cc, 125cc, upto 33bhp for two years then whatever. Now riding a 57 plate cbr600rr and have been since it was new.

tbh i don't like the fact that a lot of people do a test, buy a 600 as a first bike and think that's a sensible bike for a first bike! Most 600's will out accelerate the vast majority of cars on the roads.

too many born again bikers about.

but good luck on your test and stay safe. Bikes are awesome

Me. I've got motorcycles coursing through my veins. But the Zeditis is taking firm hold and there is no cure.

Got my first bike when I was 16 (50cc - a proper one with gears, not a bloody 'ped), a 125cc when I was 17, did my test (back in the days when you passed one test and you could ride ANYTHING (as long as you could insure it)) :lol: That was 20 years ago. Jeez :(

My first 'proper' bike was a CB250N. Then I got a job in an old school bike shop as an apprentice, working on all sorts from Triumph flat tank'ers from the early 1900's (basically a push bike with an engine and a stick as a brake) through to Vincent's, BSA's, Norton's etc upto modern day superbikes. We were also an MOT station and my God, I saw some horrors :scare:

Apart from a dark moment when I had a Virago 750, all my bikes have been sports bikes (CBR, YZF, ZXR, GSXR, Ducati etc).

So yeah, I'm a biker. :thumbs:

I rode bikes for most of my life until i was forced to stop...through arthritis, anyway one thing i would say is that if your just starting out on bikes no matter what your age, once you have passed all the tests required, if you value your life and safety seek out a course on advanced and defensive riding... the roads and drivers of today are a real hazard to bike riders.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Passed my test couple of months ago, I bought a new yamaha mt-07 as I am restricted to my a2 licence.

I love sports bike but I am glad I got a naked as I don't do any commuting so the wind blast all adds to the experience

20140621_174751.jpg

Looks like a clean bike mate nice :)

tbh i don't like the fact that a lot of people do a test, buy a 600 as a first bike and think that's a sensible bike for a first bike! Most 600's will out accelerate the vast majority of cars on the roads.

I agree with you up to a point.

I'm a big believer in starting 'small' and working your way up with experience (it's exactly what I did with cars) however, there is a big difference between a 16 year old (with the maturity of most 16 year olds) with no road experience and a 30 year old (with the maturity of most 30 year olds) with 13 years experience driving on the road in all conditions.

I considered buying a 125 for a few months but frankly, I'm 16 stone and 6 foot tall, it wouldn't be particularly comfortable for me. The biggest thing controlling your speed on a bike is your own right hand and I like to think I'm mature enough to ride within my limits just as I do in my car.

For the most part what I am learning is bike control, I'm already a very observant defensive driver and I won't bike any less defensively (though I will be doing additional training).

There's also a big difference between a 600 4 cylinder sports bike and a twin 600 sports tourer.

too many born again bikers about.

That sounds a little elitist if you don't mind me saying. Why does it matter when one comes to biking?

• Like 1

I've had my licence about 10 years. Currently bikeless as I have nowhere to store one, and it would be a weekend toy - and for that I have the Zed! However I'd have a Speed Triple if I could - my last bike as a TT600 - loved it, perfect balance of power, handling and phenomenal braking.

I've got my theory this Thursday then I'll be booking my full test with a couple of days learning too next month hopefully!

I thought the road test was a piece of cake, not like car test with instructor sat right next to you.

Passed my theory this morning! Deciding whether to book a 4 day DAS course this year or leave it until early next year.

Get on and do it or you could end up doing it 6 years later like me! :)

Also, I expect bike prices to drop a bit over the next few months so it is probably a good time to buy.

Ive just sold one of my bikes, which just leaves me with my 1999 Yamaha R1, my 2000 Ducati 996 and my 1994 ZXR750L2. Can never have enough toys! :thumbs:

Very true. When I was a lad, bikes were expensive and insurance was sky high, so you`d start off on a 50cc or maybe a 125 if you were old enough. Typically your first "big bike" would be a 2 stroke 250cc. Mine was an RD350. Then you`d probably work your way up and get a 600, then maybe a 750 and finally then jump up to a 1000. But, these days, nearly everyone I know jumps straight onto a 600cc as their first bike. Mad really when you think that something like a modern R6 or GSXR600 has more power than a 1000cc bike had back in the 90`s.

Ive just sold one of my bikes, which just leaves me with my 1999 Yamaha R1, my 2000 Ducati 996 and my 1994 ZXR750L2. Can never have enough toys! :thumbs:

Very true. When I was a lad, bikes were expensive and insurance was sky high, so you`d start off on a 50cc or maybe a 125 if you were old enough. Typically your first "big bike" would be a 2 stroke 250cc. Mine was an RD350. Then you`d probably work your way up and get a 600, then maybe a 750 and finally then jump up to a 1000. But, these days, nearly everyone I know jumps straight onto a 600cc as their first bike. Mad really when you think that something like a modern R6 or GSXR600 has more power than a 1000cc bike had back in the 90`s.

:lol: how many bikes!!?

:lol: how many bikes!!?

You sound like my missus!!! :lol:

• Like 1

:lol: I barely have time to ride one (bike - not Mrs).

Well same here tbh. Ive had the ZXR since 1996 and the R1 since 2001 so im kinda attached to them. I used to use them all the time, but had about 4 years when I didnt use them at all due to house DIY and work etc. Then last year the missus told me she was pregnant so I immediately MOT`d the R1 and ran out & bought a 996 too. :lol: Think ive probably been out a dozen times maybe this year. Its laughable really, I bought the 996 and immediately dropped about £1500 on a major service, plus new brake pipes, brake fluid, new uprated calipers, fuel filter, all the belts, etc... then 200 miles later the clutch blew up, which was another £400 and now ive had to just fit £230 of new tyres as the old rear tyre had a tendency to slide out on bends :scare: ....and i thought the zed was expensive to run!

Edited by rabbitstew

:lol: I barely have time to ride one (bike - not Mrs).

Well same here tbh. Ive had the ZXR since 1996 and the R1 since 2001 so im kinda attached to them. I used to use them all the time, but had about 4 years when I didnt use them at all due to house DIY and work etc. Then last year the missus told me she was pregnant so I immediately MOT`d the R1 and ran out & bought a 996 too. :lol: Think ive probably been out a dozen times maybe this year. Its laughable really, I bought the 996 and immediately dropped about £1500 on a major service, plus new brake pipes, brake fluid, new uprated calipers, fuel filter, all the belts, etc... then 200 miles later the clutch blew up, which was another £400 and now ive had to just fit £230 of new tyres as the old rear tyre had a tendency to slide out on bends :scare: ....and i thought the zed was expensive to run!

You'll have to let me know if you fancy a blast out soon, you're in Cambridge aren't you?

You'll have to let me know if you fancy a blast out soon, you're in Cambridge aren't you?

Im near Wellingborough but work in Cambridge. Some cracking roads around here, like the B645 from Rushden down to St Neots and others around Huntingdon/Sawtry that way. :thumbs:

After 13 years on four wheels I've finally started on the path to getting out on two.

Have completed my CBT and theory test and today went out on the big bikes for the first time (650 bandit).

Had an absolute blast and can't wait to get me license and a bike.

Anyone else here in to the bikes? My zed felt seriously slow driving home!

Hi skahigh,..........................

..................i did it viceversa ;)

After riding 32 years on two wheels without an accidenti had a bad crash last year. so i promised my wife not to buy another bike B) ,.....my decision was to own a 350Z.......................And the decision was good :D

post-22742-0-20131300-1407777839_thumb.jpg

Lovely bikes!

Such a shame that 32 years of safe biking can be outweighed by just one accident. :(

Yes indeed,

and i was lucky that it was not a fatal accident. But i won´t miss that time. wish u all good luck and always enough grip on your bikes.

GreetZ

Michael