another question for the fitness and diet gurus!

Squee

Hi,

As such great advice was given to Grundy and Steveo re diets I thought I'd post a Q here as I'm getting in a right pickle and given contradicting advice regarding fitness supplements...

I've been bitten by the fitness and exercise bug and have been told that I would really benefit from a protein supplement. I'm only currently doing 3 one hour sessions of things like BoxFit a week and really enjoy them but ache like hell the next day. I would like to have toned legs/arms but certainly do not want to have muscles like a doorman on steroids. Also I don't want anything that would 'bulk' me up and although I'm at a good weight I'd like to loose a little more as I do put weight on easily.

I've just bought a bag of 'diet whey' powder which seems like a low-carb choice compared to the regular whey powders but do I need creatine as well? (is that the stuff that repairs muscle?). Also how many of the protein shakes should I have a day? Two on work out days and one on non work out days? As mentioned I put weight on very easily so don't want to over-do the shakes and become a tubster!

Thanks in advance advice and info!

S.

PS I'm of the female variety...not saying that to be a flirt before anyone offers me a special 'protein shake' but because I figured it was of pertinent info ;)

Edited by Squee
  • Like 1

I drank at least 2 protein shakes a day for around 6 months and didn't notice any extra weight. How many to drink all depends on the brand of the shake, they all have different scoop sizes ect so its best to read the label and just follow what that says.

Drinking the shakes should help to repair your muscles and ease the aching a bit, but in my experience that also comes with time, the more you go the less you will ache!

As far as creatine goes that's where you will see weight gain, unless you are dedicated to gaining muscle mass there isnt any point in taking any!

But yeah, protein especially lean protein as you said you have shouldn't make you put weight on unless your drinking way to much of it! In fact alot of the new liquid diets that are coming out, Herblife ect include a few protein shakes a day and they are designed for weight loss! so you should have no issues atall.

I hope I helped, if your a member of a gym make sure to speak to your instructors, they are usually extremely helpful and are under the impression that no question is a stupid question.

• Like 1

I always thought protein shakes were for when you wanted to bulk up/build muscle tone.

That's what I was using anyway when I was getting into weights.

I can't remember what it's called now, but there is another powdered drink you can take, which basically gives you a shed tone of energy before you work out (It's not steroids :lol:) Which might be more useful than shakes.

However I'm no expert :lol:

Welcome to the fitness club! :teeth:

• Like 1

Maximum of two protein shakes a day, one right after training. If female, unless you are doing big weights a lot, for a long time, you will not get muscly - you won't have the testosterone for it to happen. Weights should be integral to your fitness regime if you want to stay slim and keep weight off however. Weight training burns calories for longer efficient muscles need more calories to work generally.

You also need the right blend of carbs in the meal after training to make best use of the protein to avoid the muscle aches. The only time you should eat simple carbs really.

• Like 1

Grundy,

That would be pre work out supplements

Ie

Muscle pharm assault

Bsn no explode

I go to the gym 5 times a week. I'm using the following.

Muscle pharm assault, combat protein :)

That's the stuff, no explode! Does wonders :lol: Used it years ago, but forgot the name
  • Like 2

Sqee you won't get massive muscles unless you go on roids and hit the weights big style.

Protein might help but I would suggest good diet will do just as well.

If you really want to part with your hard earned, then try myprotein.Com

• Like 1

Squee my view on this is ,eat clean (reduced carbs) , have your vegies daily, no fried meals, 4 to 6 sessions a week if possible and drink plenty of water.if you are having intense workouts you will soon see the results.

• Like 2

As above, your diet should be able to provide all the nutrition you require without the need for supplements, particularly for your stated goals and current type of training. That said, I'd highly recommend you do some kind of resistance training; nothing will re-shape your body faster. There's absolutely no chance you'll gain too much muscle by accident; it's hard enough for guys to do, and damn near impossible for women.

Protein is the thing that builds and repairs muscle, and it's a good idea to ingest some along with some carbs immediately after training - by the way, chocolate milk (or whatever flavour you prefer!) is ideal for this, removing the need for expensive protein supplements. Aim for something like 1 to 1.5g per kg of bodyweight per day - that should probably be enough for your goals - and try to get it from lean meat, fish, eggs, nuts and seeds etc. If you rely on protein supplementation you miss out on the additional nutrients gained from eating whole foods.

Creatine has many potential benefits for those undertaking heavy resistance training, but you definitely don't need it for what you're doing.

As for the muscle soreness you're experiencing, nothing in your diet or any supplements you take will prevent this. You might find warming up before/cooling down after exercise, light stretching, foam rolling, hot/cold baths, active recovery sessions and various other stuff may help alleviate it, but it's just your body reacting to the stress you're putting it under. It should get less severe over time as your body adapts.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

If your only wanting something to aid repair. Go for something like an all in one recovery shake and have one after training. If you're eating right you really shouldn't need to supplement although a little extra protein intake isn't bad.

PHD do some good diet/fitness aimed shakes and they taste superb.

Everybody and anybody who gyms it will always have a "broscience" about what to take and when you should take it.

The best way to tone up is to lift weights, this will not make you "muscly" however it will aid toning. What I would say is keep yourself in high rep ranges of around 15-25 and lightweight. This will help with the fitness physique. Mass building ranges are generally 5 or 6 sets of 2-10 reps of very heavy weights.

• Like 2

I've done training for long distance (100miles+) bike rides, marathons, and currently training for my first triathlon.

I've never ever taken any protein shakes/creatinine/recovery drinks. If your doing a cardiovascular heavy exercise regimes carbohydrates is what you need, and lots of it. Personally I rather get my carbs from eating real food than weird tasting gels/bars/drinks.

Creatine is simply another way your body stores energy, your body produces it naturally from 3 basic amino acids, muscles uses it as a store for energy (ATP) and it is than removed from the body via urine.

The scientific evidence for things like creatine supplements is very thin at best, but in sport even a small psychological edge is a good thing so I suspect that's why protein drink/supplements are so popular.

• Like 2

A decent protein shake like "cyclone" will make you gain weight, especially if you don't go to the gym enough. if you do, then you should see upto 10-15% increase in muscle mass a month. If you want to be toned and not big i'd stay away from the protein shakes or, atleast just have half the recommended dose to help recovery time after you've been to the gym. I think for toned legs and arms lighter weights with more reps are the way forward along with cardio. But instead of doing a 40 min run for example, do a 20 min run but sprint for 30 seconds and slow down for a minute. Do this repeatedly for 20 mins and you'll burn of the same cals you would if it were a 40 min run. It's the after-burn effect. Your metabolism will get so fast it takes a good 24 hours to slow down using this cardio style. far more effective and fast working and still burning fat long after you've left the gym. worked for me. :)

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Many and sincere thanks for the input guys! And sorry for the late reply...unexpectedly went away at the weekend last minute...wasn't on a steroid induced killing spree ;)

Sounds like I certainly have no need for the creatin stuff and also sounds like no real need at the moment for the protein shakes but I'll use up the big bag I have in and see what happens. I thought I'd be fancy and mix it with almond milk but discovered it leaves an absolutely vile oil taste in my mouth afterwards. Yuk!

I think I'll certainly try and re-jig my runs as Rock Steady etc suggested and will google resistance training as I'm not sure what that entails...I'm new to this fitness thing!

I'll update with any progress but if at Wales 2015 you see someone who looks like Arnie Schwarzenegger in a wig then that will be me ;)

Massive thanks again all!

S.

• Like 1

It all depends on what your specific goal is, from your description you just want a quick trim?

I actually haven't trained any female athletes however the basic principles of diet will still apply

1. As a woman you do not produce enough testosterone to build huge muscles without being enhanced, sure you can trim fat back and be toned underneath which can give you a muscley appearance but you will not become Arnie Mk2.

2. Supplements are simply to supplement your dietary needs - keep them to a minimum food should cover as much of your nutritional need as possible. To work out how much of a supplement you need, you need to know what your dietary macros,

This figure will be based on your weight and goals. As an example, off season i weigh in at 180lb - my calories work out at 2700 for lean a bulk comprising of 45% protein 40% carb 15% fats <-- these are the Macros. When i come to show prep I need to be in a calorie deficit so my calories slowly move to 2100 and my coach adjusts my macro's. training will continue as usual. the key here is consistency.

The only supplements I use during prep are a good multivitamen, chordomax (from healthspan) and a good Zinc and Magnesium (ZMA supplement) plus a good preworkout. All my macro's are currently hit with basically chicken, lean beef, white fish, basmati rice and sweet potato with 1 cheat meal a week.

In essence, supplements are not necessary. Keep the food natural and clean, weigh the portions, keep the training intense and the results will soon speak for themselves.

Hope that helps, feel free to email me if you have any questions :)

As already discussed protein shakes won't make you muscly, but in fact will aid with the fat burn and toning as long as used in conjunction with a proper weights and cardio routine.

Two other supplements which I would highly recommend are BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) which make up the proteins you can't get naturally. Also I would recommend L-Glutamine as this will aid with recovery of muscles by as a secondary effect it helps your immune system as well.

Take fish oils for Omega 3 and if you find your joints getting sore get some Glucosamine Sulphate.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Another question for you guys

I've been hitting the diet and exercise routine (gotta lose 2 stone) for this last week - achieved 4lbs in my 1st week

food - mainly reduced portions, but

breakfast = museli

lunch = salad and pasta

dinner = mostly unchanged, but not having chicken skins, no chips and substituting with rice and pasta

main thing i've given up is biscuits and crisps

i'm also going out every night on my bike :wacko: and apart from a bruised arse - doing around 3 and half miles and the odd run about 1 and a half miles (knees are not holding up well though at the moment).

The thing is, the app I use says on a run I use up about 160kcals but on my bike barely 60kcals - is this right - 'cos I feel just as shagged after either exercise

Ioneabee you are on the right track but beware of the carbs intake mainly with the pasta.

I tend to stick with more protein then carbs,remember you still have to stay healthy while on diet

chicken breast Is always a winner,aim for around 1.5g of protein per kg bodyweight and remember to drink water no fizzy drinks or anything loaded with sugar

• Like 1

there's always some type of meat on the dinner plate - chicken usually, pork etc

i'm ok with fizzy drinks - i never usually drink them anyway - its mainly water and cups of tea

what about the kcal burn on the app ? is that correct