manual VS automatic

polfa

If you intend to track your car, dont get an auto. I've had both auto and manual zeds. For the majority of time, i definitely preferred having an auto.. Easy to drive, and importantly easy to drive fast on a country lane. However on a track, when you need to make sure you're in the right gear at the right time, whilst maintaining grip levels etc - this is almost impossible with the 350z auto.

That said - i would happily buy another auto zed.

Just another thought on this.

Aren't all autos imports?

If I am correct on this, then that maybe a deciding factor for you.

It did not bother me, but here are some quirks with a JDM car.

My speedo is useless although the digital dial is spot on as is the mileometer, neither the km or mph on the analogue dial are correct.

Also the Jap satnav is no good.

For me it just adds a bit or character.

• Like 1

Just another thought on this.

Aren't all autos imports?

If I am correct on this, then that maybe a deciding factor for you.

It did not bother me, but here are some quirks with a JDM car.

My speedo is useless although the digital dial is spot on as is the mileometer, neither the km or mph on the analogue dial are correct.

Also the Jap satnav is no good.

For me it just adds a bit or character.

Sat navs crap on UK car too

Dials can be changed

JDM have a better ECU than UK.

Have driven both and bought a JDM auto, i love this driving experiance for me its a real pleasure, i drive 40,000m a year in a manual car so to get in the Z is a real pleasure!!!, but i guess it depends on how you feel about driving a fast car but to me it adds to the pleasure :thumbs:

Being controversial - I think people who think that 'they can do better' are deluding themselves.

I am a mature and relatively skilled driver, but I still occasionally crunch gears, select the wrong gate (the wife's always complaining about that one) or fail to shift at the optimum time.

Then, with respect, youre an average driver and no more than that. If you dont understand why a manual is better for performance driving then you arent using a gearbox or a clutch properly. For the record, weight shift, rev matched up or downshifts, recovering/avoiding spins and general car control is a lot more difficult without a clutch. Theres also the instant response which is delayed in an auto, for serous track driving this could be the difference between staying on and spinning off.

when you look at most of the serious machinery these days: Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, even the Nissan GTR - they are in the main, autos. QED.

They are also at least dual clutch systems which makes anything else look like 1990's technology. Which it is :lol:

Seriously though, try any of the new generation of DCT type boxes including those youve listed and youll notice the difference straight away - I nearly drove off the road when I experienced instantaneous quadruple kickdown the other day, its awesome :D

ETA: Im not knocking the 350Z auto box by any means, although Ive not driven one Ive only heard good things ........ but if you want the best possible performance from the car its got to be the manual for me. :thumbs:

Edited by docwra
  • Like 2

Auto box is realy good you can change gear yourself and take it beyond the red line if you wish. And as said on country lanes grip is not a problem as you can change down gears for more grip. If you find an auto you like I'd say go for it.

With an auto - no such problems. Yes, okay a manual could perhaps gain the upper hand on a track or if there was any competitive element to the driving but for 97.5% of my life I'd be pleased to let my tartan slippered right foot do all the work and for my left hand to be available for either nasal decluttering, handling my oversize Starbucks or my

Glad I've managed to provoke some discussion - the more perceptive amongst you will sense that there is a heavy impression of tongue in the proverbial cheek.

Some people have brought the 'track' into the discussion - I'm pretty sure that if the potential buyer in the first thread was after a track day car this discussion would have never got going, as I don't suppose that anybody would seriously dispute that a manual would be the best car to take to the track.

Got to also hand it to the bloke who's never missed or crunched a gear - that's some achievement - but it will come to an end one day!

The people I'm going to have to smile sagely at, I'm afraid, are the people that think the manual box is actually good - I'm sorry but it really isn't based upon my experience of around 50 cars that I have owned and countless more I have been able to borrow, Don't misunderstand me - the 350Z is a great car - I wouldn't have bought two of them if I thought otherwise, but you 'live' with the gear change, it's very hard to love it. I seem to recall that Top Gear weren't too complimentary about it either, but each to their own - if it works well for everyone on here that really, really is all that matters.

• Like 1

Well my Auto can go past the red line, and what I mean is with old full autos you couldn't change down a gear before a corner so you just coasted around in a high gear in low revs, where as with a triptronic I can down shift to the correct gear and accelerate round the corner there for giving me more grip/ control than if I had coasted round in a higher gear.

Being controversial - I think people who think that 'they can do better' are deluding themselves.

I am a mature and relatively skilled driver, but I still occasionally crunch gears, select the wrong gate (the wife's always complaining about that one) or fail to shift at the optimum time.

Then, with respect, youre an average driver and no more than that. If you dont understand why a manual is better for performance driving then you arent using a gearbox or a clutch properly. For the record, weight shift, rev matched up or downshifts, recovering/avoiding spins and general car control is a lot more difficult without a clutch. Theres also the instant response which is delayed in an auto, for serous track driving this could be the difference between staying on and spinning off.

when you look at most of the serious machinery these days: Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, even the Nissan GTR - they are in the main, autos. QED.

wow, harsh words

in my old auto car the tiptronic not responsive at all on downshifts, sometimes took well over a couple of seconds, not to say it was bad, but i prefer my new manual

also you cannot go past your redline, end of. no discussion. your ecu wont let you.

I've owned both auto and manual of the same model, OK they're a bit long in the tooth now but I had both an Auto 200SX which was my first 200SX and then I had a manual 200SX. I do appreciate that technology has come a looong way since those models but I must say that I really did enjoy the manual. The only time the auto came into its own was in heavy traffic on a commute. I've never driven an auto Zed, I only have experience of my manual and I wouldn't swap that for an auto. I'd like to try an auto box just to see what they were like, I'm opened minded about this and I suppose the only way you're going to make an informed decision is to spend a bit of time with both.

I'm sorry but it really isn't based upon my experience of around 50 cars that I have owned and countless more I have been able to borrow

Is that because you smash the gearboxes up on them all with the constant missing of gears? :lol:

I seem to recall that Top Gear weren't too complimentary about it either

Top gear. The be all and end all of car knowledge. I seem to remember they said that the ford fiesta would make a great landing craft for the marines? I wonder why they aren't using them yet...

Aye, bring Top Gear into it, that'll show em.

I dont remember saying the 350Z had a particularly good box, in fact it doesnt, but if you have any level of car control beyond turning the wheel and pushing the pedals then you'll know what Im on about, on track or on road. If driving with one hand and one foot is your thing, why are you in a gas guzzling 2 seat car then?

And if you want to willy wave, Ive probably drifted 50+ cars never mind something challenging like driving them to the shops.