Ffs, I've heard it all now!!!

glrnet

"[it] is blatantly draconian, totalitarian and fascist," Balbi told Spanish radio station Cope.

Totally agree but also quite deserved :)

Not just for the actions on the largest stage possible but for the complete lack or learning from the 2 previous bans for the exact same thing :wacko:

The length of the ban from the game is fine, I think that will get upheld. I think that they will be told that the total football ban is against his human/vampire rights, and that he will be allowed to train as usual.

• Like 1

Not really, it's just that the bad eggs get the most attention.

FIFA is the epitome of a morally centred organisation.... said no one ever.

Isn't one guy up once charges for being bought out by the Arabs for one of the world cups.

Players swearing at ref's, poor behaviour, lack of discipline, fan segregation, no drinking at matches as fans can't be trusted. Racism, anti Semitic comments, apparently no gay players, agents who put money before players or teams. Ridiculous transfer fees. Etc etc, the list goes on

The champions league is devoid of role models, and is pretty much lacking in any kind of morals. In football money makes the world go round.

• Like 1

Fair enough, if that's your viewpoint I'm unlikely to be able to change it.

Like I said, there's a fair amount of bad, but there's also a lot of good that just doesn't get the publicity. Ronaldo with the cancer kid over the WC, for example.

Whilst football is very far from ideally governed, there's virtually no media attention devoted to the great community work clubs do; players visiting local hospitals and childrens homes, handing out presents at christmas, giving kits and boots away to clubs abroad, summer schools, education facilities (not just for young players), access youngsters can get to players and the club on match day experiences and giveaways, free tickets for fans with disabilities and their carers. It's easy to forget the postive impact many clubs right down the football pyramid have on local communities - not to mention the sense of belonging which comes with having a local club, in what are often tough areas.

It's easy to get caught up in the "Suarez bites again", "Rooney wants more money", "Balotelli is a bellend" side of football but that's only the most sensational side of the game which attracts the column inches. People like to beat up on footballers because they're extremely well paid (at the top levels) and generally not very bright. No one bats an eyelid and wheels out the role model outrage when rubbish actor X makes Y millions from appearing in Z rubbish toy advert movies - then goes on to have stretches in rehab, or drink driving bans, or sentences for assaults, or joins a cult.

Football isn't perfect by any stretch, but is one place where nearly anyone can make it, all you need is a ball and two feet.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-citys-gareth-barry-gives-866940

Edited by SuperStu

What you've mentioned is a given in sport, happens across the board. Its just disheartening when you hear of disabled access to grounds being poor, disabled fans being abused. And big issues with a lack of investment at grass roots and the grass roots field actually shrinking. You'd think with all that money they'd be pumping the cash in at the ground level to actually produce a team of British players who could actually get out of qualifying.

Uk football is stuck in a vicious circle, money comes first then getting the best talent (mostly foreign) and fans and building new talent comes pretty low down.

I agree with Biscuit ^^

Its also more that likely that most are contractually bound to visit hospitals etc . . its all part of the image . . $5 says if that did not have to they would not. . . please note I said MOST this is NOT the same as ALL!!

Unlikely, if that got out there would be uproar, the negative PR isn't worth it.

FWIW, I believe that most footballers are playing the game because they enjoy it, not for the cash or status. No different to F1 drivers, who are hardly angels if you believe the press: Bar fights, obsession with money, rudeness, whinging etc.

No different to F1 drivers, who are hardly angels if you believe the press: Bar fights, obsession with money, rudeness, whinging etc.

I know someone who used to work in the F1 world and spent a lot of time on the circuit, and a couple of the drivers who give the impression they are "nice" were in fact not so "nice", got up to lots of thing they shouldn't :scare: Too many people in sport with big fat sausage fingers in pies they should not be poking in. This also is the same for politicians . . and it all revolves around $$$$$$$

What you've mentioned is a given in sport, happens across the board. Its just disheartening when you hear of disabled access to grounds being poor, disabled fans being abused. And big issues with a lack of investment at grass roots and the grass roots field actually shrinking. You'd think with all that money they'd be pumping the cash in at the ground level to actually produce a team of British players who could actually get out of qualifying.

Uk football is stuck in a vicious circle, money comes first then getting the best talent (mostly foreign) and fans and building new talent comes pretty low down.

It might be given in sport, but I don't understand why that means it doesn't count? That aside, no other sport has the breadth of reach and penetration into society that football clubs have. The Premier League and Football League covers 92 clubs, and that's just the UK. Which other sport comes close to that? Which other sports operate in nearly every country in the world, in some of the poorest parts of the world? Cricket? Rugby? Tennis? Golf? Athletics? Cycling? The only one I can think that comes close to being as ingrained in community, is boxing.

I agree about the lunatics abusing disabled fans and idiots making monkey noises, it's shameful and needs to be punished much more severely and not by financial measures, but ones that pressure these fans into behaving or not going to games, but this isn't "the norm" in a football stadium, this is a very specific group of idiots.

for all their size, penetration is not as big as you think it is. And I'm sorry but its not a sport that leads the best example to the young people taking it up.

Children watch the adult players abuse ref's, parents at youth games abuse the ref's managers other children. They see its fine to cheat, dive, bite, fake injury all to get ahead in the game. Punishment for poor behaviour is menial.

For all the good intentions that many people have in the game, the hard work coaches and good players put in. The amount of kids who take it up etc etc, its all let down by the fact that the core of uk football is rotten. And until its cleaned up its not a sport i'd want to five my money too or encourage my kids into.

Rigby and boxing may not have the social penetration, but the ideals they install in the youth that take the sport up is far more wholesome.

Uk football has the potential to be a great ambassador for the youth and could really become something great that we could all be proud of.

But not until alot of changes are made.

Governing body needs replacing, agents need to be taken or reduce roles given in the sport, salaries need to be capped, limits on foreign players set and about 20-30% of a team max if mot less. Refs need to be given more powers, and more respect, bigger punishments and fines for poor behaviour. More investment into grassroots and youth training. Modern technology needs embracing to confirm good decisions and weed out bad choices. I'm sure more could be done

• Like 3