370Z Nismo

WINKJ

• 2 weeks later...

OK chappies I thought I'd pen a review of my 370Z Nismo Mk1 which pretty much resonate with the other views. Bought a black one because it looked the most menacing(!) and the bumper colour matches on the white and silver models were hilariously poor. Previous motor for the last three years was an upreved 350z DE with Berk HFC & Milltek exhast. Also had Whiteline ARBs front & back, MPSS & Ferodo DS2500 pads:

Positive:

• Stunning in the flesh, gets stared at and photographed everywhere.
  • Big chassis improvement, nowhere near as firm and unforgiving as the journos would have you believe. Great compliance, no body roll, nicely biased towards mild oversteer, grips grips grips, good feedback from the helm (given that it's not an Exige).
  • Actually prefer a slightly lighter clutch action as the DE was on the heavy side. Slightly shorter gear box throw + 1st > 2nd much quicker.
  • Noticeably quicker off the line. Synchro Rev is cool but does take some of the fun out of driving.

Negatives:

• Absolutely woeful engine note. This is going to need some serious induction and exhaust mods to sound anything like a 3.7L V6.
  • Quick off the line but the bum dyno simply isn't detecting the feeling and sensation of speed - probably a lot to do with the muted exhaust? Engine feels badly synced to the gearbox ratios - that kind of thing. Felt faster in the 350z!
  • Terrible tyre roar from those bloody Bridgestones. Literally cannot wait to get some MPSS on these, only 8,000 deafening miles to go :-(
  • Lazy throttle response - I mean ridiculously diesel truck lazy. I cannot believe they've engineered it like this! Crying out for an Uprev de-restriction and lighter flywheel.
  • Brakes are a bit soft / lack bite.

Some other niggle but otherwise I'm enjoying it. Needs a lot of modifications to get it singing which is annoying (but not uncommon these days uness you're in an F-type). Abbey Motorsport will no doubt enjoy emptying my wallet again :-(

BTW the Mk2 looks better in the flesh than it does in the pics, but the rear bumper is still too wide relative to the ducktail spoiler. Best aesthetic enhancements are inside the cabin which is nicer than the Mk1 with darker plastics (none of that cheap shiny silver argos midi system crap), those lovely but less comfy recaros and full alcantara wheel rather than 50/50 which feels weird in use (change of steering wheel texture while turning is not nice). Still prefer the Mk! - the dropnose, alloys and spoiler just make it for me. Horses for courses.

DT

Funny. Mine felels distinctly quicker than both of my previous 370s.

Definitely agree on the exhaust. Doesn't do the car justice. I lasted about a month before shelling out for a new system.

You might need to manage your expectations of how much difference MPSS will make to the tire roar. I've had 370s with both Bridgestones and MPSS. The MPSS are marginally quieter but not much. Tire roar is just a feature of the 370 you have to get used to. A proper sounding exhaust helps a lot.

Enjoy the new car and post up some pics :)

Edited by sipar69

noted re mpss but they made a more noticeable difference on the 350z imho. They were also a better tyre in terms of feedback, sidewall softness and most importantly, wet grip. Gonna be a while before I can change them though.

having done another couple of hundred miles I have to say that the car is defo faster but it a the lack of exhaust note does make it psychologically harder to appreciate that.

The aero seems to work well; amazed at how stable it is at 140mph. Which is when the 350z would be getting all nervous. However I think the drag from the wing does limit top speed and it wasn't making much headway north of that. has anywone cracked 150 without needing a runway?

Other annoying niggles; crap steering wheel buttons, tiny glove box, usb doesn't juice enough to charge a phone, using the bottle holder makes changing gear harder, the wing mirror vibrates too much, nowhere to conveniently store sunglasses, Bose system simply not as punchy as the 350, still no reach adjustment. But these are all forgivable even taken as a whole.

But that bloody tyre noise and wind shear argh Nissan wtf...

absolutely loving the chassis though, just deliciously engineered. Such a pleasure to swing around in!

Totally with you on the MPSSs in general. Great tyres. And with you on the chasis. It's probably the most significant improvement over the standard 370 - very flat and poised on the bends.

I posted a review of my exhaust upgrade which may be of interest if you've not seen it already.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/83723-my-nismo-given-the-cobra-and-stillen-treatment/

Know what you mean about attention - it keeps coming :)

Totally with you on the MPSSs in general. Great tyres. And with you on the chasis. It's probably the most significant improvement over the standard 370 - very flat and poised on the bends.

I posted a review of my exhaust upgrade which may be of interest if you've not seen it already.

http://www.350z-uk.c...llen-treatment/

Know what you mean about attention - it keeps coming :)

Already put a deposit on gumpy's Cobra, that Nismo POS is coming straight off! Was tossing up HFCs or Decats and erring towards the latter. Might also be thinking about some induction mods (don't care if a lose a few horses).

Any CEL issues with your stillen / hfc combo?