What do you do at work...

Husky

...When your mind can no longer take the strain of actually doing work.

They say that after 15 minutes of someone lecturing us we just switch off and need a break to regain our mental agility and focus. I feel that a similar time limit exists for doing work and that for me the time limit is quite short :lol:

So, when your mind is wandering and you enter that zen like vegetative state, what do you do to keep yourself from going nuts? Mr clicky mouse finger go on an adventure? Go for coffee? Build a matchstick model of the Mary Rose? Does anyone manage to actually achieve anything productive in this time or does a large portion of the human race basically spend half it's day staring bored into space?

I used to solve my rubicks cube, I used to try to beat my personal best time, I managed to do it in just over a minute and half which I was very pleased with until I watched the speed cube videos on YouTube ( I know it's a bit sad). now I just smoke and drink coffee and browse this forum :lol:

this thread has got HR disaster written all over it :lol:

Please disregard my earlier post

I work really hard and don't take unofficial breaks :lol:

I started to write about how I'm never on here during the day and I never do anything other than work and thought, oh no, I better warn the others that they aren't as diligent as me! :D

• Like 1

I jump between tasks but be careful if you're on a conf call as I often concentrate on what I'm doing miss a question then hear my name :lol:

The lady that sits next to me has a colouring book :shocked: :surrender::lol:

Edited by Fodder

I jump between tasks but be careful if you're on a conf call as I often concentrate on what I'm doing miss a question then hear my name :lol:

crayons or pencils? :lol:

I think the office would be better by being more honest with itself.

Geoff: "What you up to there Jebadiah?"

Jebadiah: "Oh, I'm spacing out for a minute on my Rubik cube so I can be mentally refreshed"

Geoff: "Nice, that work will be to a much better standard than the usual fecal scrawling you do while not paying attention"

Jebadiah: "Yeah, tell me about it! Any idea what's going on with Bernard over there?"

Bernard: faint.gif

crayons or pencils? :lol:

Pencils :lol:

• Like 1

Researching endless crap on wikipedia was my vice in my previous employ.

Here's a genuine question Mr Ricey, do you find you work a feck ton harder now you aren't some paper shuffling, stapler thumping office monkey? I'm long term planning to go self employed to get away from the large company / office environment as I find it really doesn't suit me one bit!

I work as a Turner, mainly machining bespoke components for the Gas and Oil sector, typically each component weighs in at around 5 tons before machining and coming out at around 2.5 tons once ready to send to CNC for finishing. All the stuff i machine is Inconel 718 (super alloy), very expensive and hard as nails due to high nickel content so the Lathe has to run really slowwwwwwww, A typical piece can be in the machine up to 3 weeks at a time, occasionally i look at the clock, but it never seems to move although its the right time to the nano second.. I suppose that for 12 hours per shift i just go into a zombie state, i can remember going to work and coming home but the in-between is generally very fuzzy!

Researching endless crap on wikipedia was my vice in my previous employ.

Here's a genuine question Mr Ricey, do you find you work a feck ton harder now you aren't some paper shuffling, stapler thumping office monkey? I'm long term planning to go self employed to get away from the large company / office environment as I find it really doesn't suit me one bit!

Mentally no

Physically yes

However as I'm only just building my business up I don't have work every day so I do feel like I'm loafing around a bit.

If I had detailing work every day I reckon I'd be shattered.

That rangie I did on Friday totally decked me on Saturday. I could barely keep my eyes open.

Also there's the issue of not having a regular income and training your brain not to worry.

I had maybe a 3 week period this month where I had no work......I mean nada. Didn't sell a car ........ Nothing.

Turns out this month is probably my most profitable to date on the basis of one mental week!