Just had the Z professionally detailed - the result?

dannybz

Hi guys...

Just had my z professionally detailed by a guy in the mansfield area, he is pretty darn good for the price he charges. He used some quality megs products and the best stuff from other brands (i know he used something called apocalypse on the wheels and made them look brand new) and some premium waxes - i think one by definitive wax, did the trim, cleaned the tail pipes... also will be using him to clean the car every week or two... he is the ONLY guy i would trust apart from myself. He takes his time cleaning cars and uses all the right tools (wash mitts, drying towls) no sponges or schammys unlike a lot of the quick in out hand car washes - which i would never recommend.

Oh you will see my discs look orange :p that is the chemicals he used around that area... went away after a good burn afterwards :)

Anyway here is the results and a premium detail by him....

1270047_342356655913834_3734629921939824647_o.jpg

Edited by dannybz
  • Like 1

You know what i do not know if he machine polished or not? Might ask him next time i am over there though!

His price for this was £140 which includes the definitive wax... base level it is £120 for a premium job like this but he can go lower to £60.. i did not want to skimp!

Would you say that is a reasonable price to pay for detailing?

Edited by dannybz

You know what i do not know if he machine polished or not? Might ask him next time i am over there though!

His price for this was £140 which includes the definitive wax... base level it is £120 for a premium job like this but he can go lower to £60.. i did not want to skimp!

I.........am far, far too cheap.

If that doesn't include machine polishing then I'm far, far, far too cheap.

I just charged £140 for an 8.5 hour detail on a Range Rover Super Sport!

• Like 1

£140 for 8.5 hrs labour plus products is very reasonable - but it's finding a level that meets peoples 'value call' - not a vast number of people could justify £140 for a valet - however good it is.

I do know of detailers who are charging around £1000 and getting it for a detail - but the standards are amazingly precise at at level.

Having said that I am an amateur detailer myself and probably use £1000 of my billable time detailing one of my vehicles for my own pleasure!

There's not much more satisfying than seeing a car looking better than it left the factory.

• Like 2

I.........am far, far too cheap.

If that doesn't include machine polishing then I'm far, far, far too cheap.

I just charged £140 for an 8.5 hour detail on a Range Rover Super Sport!

That's ridiculously cheap. I'd happily pay £300-£400 for a proper detail.

Neil put it in a nutshell.

You can't correct paint properly in a day. Period. Anyone that tells you they can is relying on the fact that you won't hit the paint with a halogen lamp after they're done.

Not to the standard that I could consider a 'paint correction'.

I machine polish all of the cars that get a full detail but it will only improve the paint. I like to call it a decontamination or preparation detail.

Correction runs into hundreds of pounds.

Thse are examples of paint that isnt corrected.......but you'd probably think it was. It feels like glass, has lots of depth and gorgeous reflections. Hit it with a halogen and each will still have micro scratches.

IMAG0173_zps7yyqief3.jpg

IMAG0426_zpsyh8o7ive.jpg

IMAG0218_zpswcosgkaz.jpg

Mmmmm, glad I don't have to try and explain all this to punters....

'Right, I can do what used to be a valet, but now we call it a detail and your car will be really clean but it won't be shiny. If you want it to be shiny, I can machine polish it and if you ask me nicely, I'll wax it and cover up all the little scratches til the next time. If you want me to really do a good job and remove all the scratches and swirls - even the ones that you can only see with white halogen light or a sun lamp - this is what we call paint correction now, I'll need to polish your car for a few days, which will be re-assuringly expensive, of course, also, just a suggestion but it will probably be better if you don't drive the car anymore, because otherwise you might get it dirty and that will start the scratching and swirls off again...'

A valet has never included a machine polish by anyone's standards but your right it's a holy beggar to explain to people what's what.

Problem is the less scrupulous among us could very easily pass off the work ive posted above as a 'paint correction'.

From a professional point of view it isn't.

If you ask Paddy if he was happy with his zed he'll tell you he was but I'll tell you not it was not 'paint corrected' in the most literal sense.

To my mind a paint correction is for those of us verging on having some sort of mental disorder.

A full detail will usually do for those of us who wouldn't for instance notice the bit of fluff on the carpet....... under the couch...... in the spare room........of our friends house, that we visited once......in 1997

Paint correction is an absolute art form.

Completely agree with Ricey.

Paint correction isn't easy, and it's not cheap. Neither should it be, it's removing some of the actual paint (well, clear coat) from the car so you need some expertise in what you are doing.

A good single-day detail is enough for most people. For the rest of us, there's much further down the rabbit hole to go. :)

I'm not knocking the art - I've been known to spend a couple of days polishing a car with three or four pad / polish combinations on my machine. I was just highlighting that it must be a b@gger to try and sell to a customer - particularly, where I live in the Principality of Yorkshire.

• Like 1

I'm not knocking the art - I've been known to spend a couple of days polishing a car with three or four pad / polish combinations on my machine. I was just highlighting that it must be a b@gger to try and sell to a customer - particularly, where I live in the Principality of Yorkshire.

Never mind the fact that you also have to try and explain why the local £10 Demon Shine whoppers at the supermarket are knackering your car.

Never mind the fact that you also have to try and explain why the local £10 Demon Shine whoppers at the supermarket are knackering your car.

I try and tell that to some of my collegues in my office - they come in and tell me what a bargain and super clean car they've got for £5 from these guys up the road - sponges and dirty water are the norm

I try and tell that to some of my collegues in my office - they come in and tell me what a bargain and super clean car they've got for £5 from these guys up the road - sponges and dirty water are the norm

I saw a guy the other week whilst I was walking the dog washing his 2012 car (VW I think :dry: ) in the midday sun, ....then I spotted the sponge he was using on the bodywork that he'd just left on his driveway.

Was thinking I should probably say something but then noticed he had picked up his hose with wheel brush cleaning attachment and proceeded to use it on the roof. :surrender::scare:

There is know way I was even going to start telling him what he was doing wrong as I just didn't have all day. :shrug: