Post Zed, what next?!

wideboy

As above!

The car's getting on a bit now (2005), and whilst it just sailed through it's MOT I can't help but wonder how long before things start going wrong on a regular basis... I only ever planned to keep her 2/3yrs, but that was 7yrs ago!!!!!!!!!! :)

So i'm in my twice yearly 'what if?' autotrader search!

The problem is, the cars not worth much these days, circa £5-6k I guess, so it would mean fronting up a fair whack to get the same kind of performance.

Also, i've already changed the clutch and brakes all round, so that should cover the most expensive service items for a few years.

So, hypothetically speaking, what have you moved on to / what do you fancy next?

Money no object i'd have Merc C63 AMG, but don't really fancy finding an extra £30k... So will no doubt run the Z another year or two :blush:

Cheers

I'd defiantly go for a VX220 and if you can push the budget a bit more a VX220 Turbo.......bloody quick, great handling and that would be my next car......but love me Z, it's got a few issues that are being sorted..........for the love of cars lol

i've always wanted a monaro/vxr8 moreso the latter as the monaro does look a bit dated, but good call on the m6 i do like them too and could cure the v8 itch and then some! the 370 nismo looks good too, i really have no idea what i would like next but i'm in no rush to move on :)

I've briefly considered the GT86 - but the two back seats put me off plus the knobbly badges it seems to be covered with.

(One of the things I've always liked about the Zed is that it seems understated for the brute of a car that it actually is)

Anyone else considered the GT86?

Edited by The Trouser

I've briefly considered the GT86 - but the two back seats put me off plus the knobbly badges it seems to be covered with.

(One of the things I've always liked about the Zed is that it seems understated for the brute of a car that it actually is)

Anyone else considered the GT86?

test drove a gt86 last week (the missus wants one) think it looks better than the z but other than that it's got nothing over it

i like ugly and brutish

Edited by andybp

Funny what your car 'says about you'...

Also pondered the Monaro/VXR8 when I bought the Zed! And longingly look at the new GTRs for hours on autotrader, prices coming down but servicing is silly money though :(

One big plus for the Zed is that maintenance is easy DIY and it's old enough that a dealer stamp is no longer a worry for me.

GT86 not fast enough for me, I want ~400hp really.

E90 M3 - 414 BHP Standard

A couple of years ago for sure, since Ive driven the M235 and 1M, not so much They are a bit big and you really need to cane them to get the best out of them which means you end up going very, very fast :scare:

I think Id probably even take an M135i with a diff over an M3, theres not a huge difference in size but its enough.

If i have enough spare cash a Tesla S will be my next car....if I cannot got enough cash together (most realistic option) I'm going to run my 335i till it falls apart...though I could argue its already trying to fall apart :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I read the 12s onwards are the ones to go for. The pricing is quite confusing - they seem to go from silly money to very affordable. I like the Sports Racer version a lot (the one in this vid seems not to be an S though).

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=evora+s+sports+racer&source=images&cd=&docid=JaB3HT4hwEet2M&tbnid=bJ32a9qYabwo0M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsSWioqp8kZk&ei=qrLKU8fAB8yz0QWuiYCgAQ&psig=AFQjCNG3FzMBiJ7dsorlDgQ8_Rb06HGm9Q&ust=1405879309885397

Edited by sipar69

Sports Racer came in both S and non-S variants, that's right. It's a good value car, but still very pricey.

Don't discount the non-S though, it's still an absolute blinder of a car and I think I preferred it to the S as I enjoyed working it harder.

The world is your oyster as a buyer. As ever the answer is firstly ''what is your budget?''. That lays the foundations for the next questions.

As in, is it a daily driver/only car/second car?

Cars I have owned which may suit you:-

Vauxhall Monaro 6.0. From £10K.

Base Cayman. From 10K.

M3 V8. From £18K.

Focus RS MK2. From £15K.

M3 E46 From £8K.

XKR. From £12K.

Corvete C5. From £15K.

Higher prices:-

Aston Martin Vantage. From £30K.

Corvette C6 6.2. From £25K.

M6 V10. From £28K.

As a buyer you can have a field day on Autotrader and PH.

DMS remapped my 2008 135i from 302 bhp to 370 bhp. They are around from £15K I believe. Fantastic twin turbo straight six for Focus diesel money (new).

370 bhp with no lag in a 1 series equals fk*ng quick.

Edited by Peak 370