Next car choice

Chriscartwright

the Supra will be faster when its working properly, which will only be some of the time. The 350z will be slower, but will work all the time. 350z will also be a lot less thirsty.

If it will be your only car, the 350z. if its just a weekend car, the Supra.

Supra is quicker, and (IMO) looks better. But they are older, and the interior is bloody awful.

Zed is newer, slower, harder/more expensive to tune. But it's newer, feels less plasticy, and has a comfier ride.

They are both VERY different cars. Test drive them both, then make a decision.

when I was looking a few months ago, having had a GTO 3000tt (similar in performance to the supra) I tried the supra, porsche boxter 3.2 and the Z4 and the 350Z. Guess which one was the better car for the bucks???

Supras are old hat now and starting to look their age. Boxters... far too many on the road. Z4...ladies Car. :surrender:

Love the Supra, my mate had a white non turbo one. I would imagine that a 350z would be the safer option in terms of reliability and age etc.

I also heard the TT Supra is very twitchy

Supras are pretty reliable assuming you buy a good one, engines are pretty much bullet proof and can take huge power with ease. They handle pretty well for a big car especially with a set of coilovers.

I dont think they are that different to drive, i can see why a lot of supra owners have moved to zeds.

My supra was averaging about 8mpg when i used it for work daily :lol: the Z averages about 23mpg on the same run.

Supra is a lot cheaper to tune also & parts are pretty reasonably priced compared to Nissan spares

• Like 2

Must admit I am tempted by the Supra as a next car, they are knocking on a bit now so you will need to do some work on them to get them up to what we might consider to be more modern standards - they can look stunning though

toyota-supra-twin-turbo-08.jpg

It is a 20 year old design, I would expect in ten years time there will be plenty of people saying how out of date the 350z looks.

The engine though is stunning and reliable by modern standards, if you like a tinker, you can put a lot of power increases through it at a low cost. Handling wise its easily improved with some strut bracing and coilovers.

350z is the safer bet probably more comfortable and better on the petrol mpg, Supras are a lot rarer and a bit different with plenty more speed.

You'll be hard pushed to find a manual supra TT, but if that doesn't bother you there are a few autos kicking about. I think the supra has dated very well. Not sure about how reliable the 2JZ engine is though when push comes to shove but standard i'm sure they're fine.

Should be a fairly chunky price difference between a fairlady and a nice tt supra, assuming you are going for a manual? Why not get the fairlady and some forced induction? :)

Not if its a manual, bear in mind you wont lose anything on a Supra either ......... :)

when I was looking a few months ago, having had a GTO 3000tt (similar in performance to the supra)

We may have to agree to disagree on that one ;)

I wouldn't, the 3000gt is 320 hp compared to GTO jap imports that are 270 due to the fact that jap imports had 9B turbos and the brit version 3000 had 13g turbos. It's no slouch and has a similar kerb weight to the supra and would jump up and down on a supra off the line.

I went from the zed to a celica GT4, never looked back. The zed is painful to mod, you just watch the 4 figure numbers pour out your wallet for single figure numbers going onto the bhp. And it's not guaranteed you get a good zed either, mine liked to break in every common way possible. Granted I've had problems with the Celica, but I knew I would and budgeted for them as the car was way cheaper. I'd say, if you want to mod a car to be pretty, get a zed, if you want to mod a car for speed, get the Supra (or equivalent). At the end of the day it;s a personal choice and the only way you're going to know if by driving them both and seeing which gives you goosebumps.

EDIT: I also owned a GTO in the past and would say it was the most enjoyable experience of all the cars I've owned (had a big exhaust, stripes, etc) but it was a bit lardy and drank fuel.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replys i am thinking of going for a 350 or evo 8 I have gone against the idea of a supra due to there age etc and would cost more to keep it on the road in the long run correct me if I am wrong.

So what's you thought on the evo 8 I now it's a 350z forum also if I went with the 350 which would be the best model standard Z etc? I would like to modified it the future body kit, turbo as so on

Having owned both a Supra and a Skyline 350GT and driven several Zs i would totally disagree that the Z or 350GT is better handling, different yes but not better, the Supra is every bit as reliable as the Z and bullet proof, far better build quality in both body chassis and engine, and from my experience parts are cheaper for the Supra, but some parts are hard to obtain.

Buy a TT supra and BPU it and you will be happy with the resulting power for some time, at a cost of around £500, or buy one already sorted, you looking at a minimum of 6K to get similar power from a Z.

Oh and to address the consumption comparisons, my single turbo Supra was getting better MPG than my 350GT.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

I've driven all 3.Owned a S/C Z and a Supra and my best mate had an Evo 7 for 3 years.

Evo is a money pit. If you get an AYC fault prepare to dig deep to fix it

The Z is my favourite car ever, If I had the chance to get my old one back to the spec it was before I stripped it for parts I'd take it back over any other car I've owned since.

The Supra is a brilliant car. I'm actually enjoying buying parts for it as they are so cheap compared to Z/GTR prices :lol:

The Z & the Supra are very similar to drive IMO. You really need to try them all first though. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Evo, its unreliable, expensive to maintain & its ugly as hell.

• Like 1

Cheers Ian thats a great help.

I'm still looking at the supra TT but I have only got about 5-6000 to spend on one I was going to get a supra na and covert it myself. But that's when I started looking towards a z due to it being over 2000 to convert and that's when the evo can to mind, then no thanks to coldel the R33 came in so at present I'm still leaning towards the supra which will be the easyest to mod engine and body etc?