Smoke coming from engine!

Randy_Baton

Hi just driving along in slow traffic and I notice white smoke coming out from the bonnet.

Pop the bonnet and the coolant is boilng over. So at least it's steam and not smoke. I've let it cool off but what do I do?

The oil gauge had dropped to zero as well

Edited by Randy_Baton

Well if you are stuck out somewhere, wait till it cools down and nurse it home, if you are at home I wouldn't drive it off somewhere till you figure out what is wrong...heat is VERY bad for engines.

How do I check the fans. I've let it cool down and turned the engine on to idle. Oil temp is about 15 and engine temp seems to be holding steady

Just before this happens I did over rev in first for about 30 seconds moving in slow traffic and trying to plug in a charger.!

Edited by Randy_Baton

Okay I'm learning stuff. Turned the engine on and AC on and only the passenger side fan was turning. I gave the driver side one a spin and it started running. Does this mean the driver side one is bad?

Edited by Randy_Baton

Yes the fan motor either needs cleaning or replacing, i would not drive it like that as if its only starting when physically moved then it wont be starting when it should so the engine will overheat, as i said get it recovered if you don't want to risk engine problems due to overheating.

As if they know something, Clarke motorsport have posted a deal on mishimoto cooling fans!!!

I had the same issue a year ago in Derby, hopefully you have got it recovered to garage by now, this is a simple fix and you will soon be mobile again.

You will be fine to drive it providing you are not stuck in slow moving traffic as the incoming air will cool the radiator. The fans only kick in when in slow moving traffic or if you are stationery so no drama. You obviously only have a sticky L/H fan motor. Alex :)

Waited 2.5 hours for the most uninterested repair guy. He tried to tell me the resivouir had probably cracked. So I unscrewed the bolt and showed it hadn't. Then told me my vehicle was too large for him to tow and because it was rwd he'd need a longer tow bar? He then said it would be another 2 hours for a recovery vehicle!

I at least got him to refill the coolant which he did but said his coolant was a bit watery, which was nice!

Waited 2 hours got, bored and drove round the block a few times. No issues so I drove home in the dark and rain, everything was fine.

Looks like I'll need to give the motor a clean or pop up to the Cougar store.

Probably a good thing you didn't get towed.

I don't think you can tow a rwd car with LSD like the Zed for very far without possibly causing damage. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe the correct way is with the rear wheels up in the air and the front wheels locked straight, on some type of dollies?! :dry:

I know for definite you could not tow one of my older cars a 4wd Impreza as I had it on the back of a low loader more than once. :lol:;)

Sounds like the wait was a good thing then, as when you first posted you said that the traffic was very slow, and driving an non cooled car in slow traffic is as i said asking for trouble, obviously the roads where clear when you drove home, so there would be enough air speed to keep temps down, glad you got it back without further trouble.

I would make sure the coolant system is drained completely and filled with the correct fluid as the repair sounds like he has just put anything in there. There has been issues with the internals of the engines when the wrong coolant is used. Also make sure the system is air locked. This happened in my car when it over heated and was a complete PITA to get the air out of.