Nissan GT-R Nismo, First UK Review.

WhackyWill

So if the GT-R needs weight to be as awesome as it is, why have Nissan removed a bit for the track pack and the Nismo?

It either needs the weight, or it doesn't. Doc put it better than I could.

And no, I've never tracked nor raced a GT-R. Yet.

No I dont, but at some point (not sure what point that is) the GTR will just end up spinning all its wheels with too much power and too light holding it to the road.

Mate, Ive driven 400hp in 500KG in the pissing rain at Spa, I didnt have any trouble. Ive also driven 700hp in 1100KGs on the road and it was still possible to put your foot down, the amounts of weight we are talking about have negligible effects on grip ........ apart from lateral grip of course. Phil Morrison claims the new Driftwork AE86 wont spin up in anything other than 1 st gear, thats 650hp and under 1000KG.

Nissan has stated that they believe they got that balance right with the GTR

Yeah, because they came straight out an admitted they cocked the 350 up and had to add 100's KG to stop it folding in on itself. Theres no two ways about it, the GTR is amazing but it would be more amazing in every single respect if it was 500KG lighter. ike the race car is, does that tell you anything? ;)

I remember LOLing at the ridiculous statement that the weight makes it faster at the time and I will continue to LOL at it until we achieve zero gravity here on earth ;)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Yeah, because they came straight out an admitted they cocked the 350 up and had to add 100's KG to stop it folding in on itself.

HA !!

What's the story behind this then ??

Oh and the too much money Nissan is fat but rad.

Just like this.

img141.jpg

• Like 2

So if the GT-R needs weight to be as awesome as it is, why have Nissan removed a bit for the track pack and the Nismo?

It either needs the weight, or it doesn't. Doc put it better than I could.

And no, I've never tracked nor raced a GT-R. Yet.

I never said it wouldnt be ;)

For me, the reason the GTR doesnt weigh less is cost.

No I dont, but at some point (not sure what point that is) the GTR will just end up spinning all its wheels with too much power and too light holding it to the road.

Mate, Ive driven 400hp in 500KG in the pissing rain at Spa, I didnt have any trouble. Ive also driven 700hp in 1100KGs on the road and it was still possible to put your foot down, the amounts of weight we are talking about have negligible effects on grip ........ apart from lateral grip of course. Phil Morrison claims the new Driftwork AE86 wont spin up in anything other than 1 st gear, thats 650hp and under 1000KG.

Nissan has stated that they believe they got that balance right with the GTR

Yeah, because they came straight out an admitted they cocked the 350 up and had to add 100's KG to stop it folding in on itself. Theres no two ways about it, the GTR is amazing but it would be more amazing in every single respect if it was 500KG lighter. ike the race car is, does that tell you anything? ;)

I remember LOLing at the ridiculous statement that the weight makes it faster at the time and I will continue to LOL at it until we achieve zero gravity here on earth ;)

The point of the GTR is that its NOT a race car.... its a car for every occassion, I dont want a GTR weighing in at 1200kgs, stripped, noisy, uncomfortable, etc.

I have seen the test videos of that AE86 and I really dont believe that statement - its an awesome build though!!! However a purpose built space frame chassis cannot be compared to a road car.

As a race car, yes, it would be better being lighter... but as a GT road car, I think they got it right :D

The point of the GTR is that its NOT a race car.... its a car for every occassion, I dont want a GTR weighing in at 1200kgs, stripped, noisy, uncomfortable, etc.

As a race car, yes, it would be better being lighter... but as a GT road car, I think they got it right :D

Right, now I see where you're going. That's fair comment. :thumbs:

HOWEVER (and you knew this was coming...!)

Much like the 350Z, I could forgive the weight easily IF the quality of the interior justified it. IMHO, it doesn't. That's the exact same thing I've levelled at the Evora as well, so it's not just Nissan that have a monopoly on cheap interiors. Is the GTR interior acceptable? Yeah, it is, and at £60K it definitely was. Is the quality of the interior justifed by the extra weight it adds? I don't think so, but then there's other cars to level that at as well. Add to the fact that the price is now £80K and you're into a whole new argument.

• Like 1

Right, now I see where you're going. That's fair comment. :thumbs:

HOWEVER (and you knew this was coming...!)

Much like the 350Z, I could forgive the weight easily IF the quality of the interior justified it. IMHO, it doesn't. That's the exact same thing I've levelled at the Evora as well, so it's not just Nissan that have a monopoly on cheap interiors. Is the GTR interior acceptable? Yeah, it is, and at £60K it definitely was. Is the quality of the interior justifed by the extra weight it adds? I don't think so, but then there's other cars to level that at as well. Add to the fact that the price is now £80K and you're into a whole new argument.

Honestly, I actually like the GTR interior, but yes, I bought a MY10 when they were still decent money. Now..... its a bit of a different story.... however, I recently test drove the R8 V10 and aside from the noise the GTR was better in even aspect! The interior of the GTR was more comfortable and open, the gear change in the GTR is fantastic compared to the R8, R8 was slow in comnparison, I could not use the R8 as a GT car (there is space for a small handbag and thats it).... Having said that, I cant bring myself to buy a new GTR either, for me there is no value. I did come from supras and imprezas, so any interior would be better, really!

I have looked at 430s and Gallardos as well and absolutely hate the interior in the standard models, only the Scuds and the Leg versions are worth considering, but they are even more money that.

Its the compromise that Nissan made and all those that have bought the GTR.

Will be very interesting to see how Nissan develop that delta wing design over the next ten years - could well be the next evolution in aero and handling dynamics. Will we ever see it in a road car though?

You probably wont, even Clive Sinclair failed with the C5.. ;):scare:

1700kg, yeah, it's a lot, but it's got 590hp! 1700kg just isn't an issue at that horse power.

On the track its heavy on tyres and brakes, but it handles the power/weight rather well, so I am in agreement. There are better track cars, but as for a car you can just rock up in........ not much can beat it :D