370Z. One of motoring's bargain buys.

Peak 370

My Cayman S was fully loaded and was £50K in 2007. I bought it in 2012.

Yes, a post-2009 on is better than a 370 but at almost twice the price it should be.

Running costs high? Just had a service at Nissan Mansfield, £184. (My wife's Audi S3 cost her £420 last month).

Insurance under £200 a year.

Tyres? No worse than any rwd muscle car.

The fact it is £10,000 to £20,000 cheaper than most of the competition negates the tax, etc.

Edited by Peak 370
  • Like 2

Then again there's the price comparison thing with the Cayman - if Nissan manufactured a "400z" with an RRP of £50k I'm sure it would be as good as a Cayman. And if auto/paddles is your scene then you might as well be playing Forza.

Isn't the E92 exactly the same as an E36 but in a much heavier and more expensive package? ;)

I wasn't a fan of autos until I drove a pdk. It's a awesome gearbox and nothing like a playing video game.

I floored one in 7th gear at 100mph and it dropped to 3rd with a boom. They're truly brilliant.

As for the e92 being the same package as a e36! That's crazy.

One has a 3.0 (or 3.2 evo) straight 6 and the other has a epic 420bhp v8 and a gearbox as good as a pdk (dct).

Even if Nissan did make a 400z it'd be a heavy lump like a 350 or 370. The porsche is so well balanced and handles much better.

Having said that I wouldn't have a pre 09 cayman s without porsche warranty. The reliability is awful compared to a Nissan. They are a seriously flawed car.

Edited by Kev

If anyone here thinks a 370Z is dear to run, try a Lancer Evolution, like my remapped 2009 MR FQ 360 1X.

Ferrari-style costs for servicing, tax, insurance, fuel.

4,500 mile intervals at £350 a time. Top road tax. 18 mpg generally and once I got NINE mpg in Germany, having some fun.

Tyres every other month. The 370Z is a pussycat, a cheap to run one by comparison!!

Edited by Peak 370

M3 V8 is a good buy around 4-5 years old. Great engine, the type not to be seen again.

Poor on fuel though and weak below 6,000 rpm.

I agree they are awful on fuel and that the type of engine will not be seen again, but disagree that they are weak below 6000rpm.

I would like to add I do really like the 370z, I just think it's a very different car to a cayman. More of bruiser :)

PDK is superb and the latest Cayman GTS makes the 911 base model redundant, it is that good.

Some are saying it's the best value performance car available.

I'd still buy a 911 though :)

Then again there's the price comparison thing with the Cayman - if Nissan manufactured a "400z" with an RRP of £50k I'm sure it would be as good as a Cayman. And if auto/paddles is your scene then you might as well be playing Forza.

Isn't the E92 exactly the same as an E36 but in a much heavier and more expensive package? ;)

I wasn't a fan of autos until I drove a pdk. It's a awesome gearbox and nothing like a playing video game.

I floored one in 7th gear at 100mph and it dropped to 3rd with a boom. They're truly brilliant.

As for the e92 being the same package as a e36! That's crazy.

One has a 3.0 (or 3.2 evo) straight 6 and the other has a epic 420bhp v8 and a gearbox as good as a pdk (dct).

Even if Nissan did make a 400z it'd be a heavy lump like a 350 or 370. The porsche is so well balanced and handles much better.

Having said that I wouldn't have a pre 09 cayman s without porsche warranty. The reliability is awful compared to a Nissan. They are a seriously flawed car.

I know paddles (and smg) is a motorsport thing and all performance cars are going to have them in future - helps with driving on the limit apparently (how did race drivers of yore cope without them? Hmmm...), but the steady encroachment of driver aids is diluting the purity of the experience and isn't PDK is another "involvement factor" removed? I'm sure self-driving cars would be a wonderful high speed roller-coaster experience a la Minority Report but now we're talking about a different hobby entirely and not something involving mastery over / taming of a machine that wants to rip your head off.

Porsche are unreliable but given some of the costs 370z owners have experienced with failed gearboxes for instance (long thread here somewhere) I'd also be inclined to buy warranty cover regardless of the nissan badge.

re the BMWs - 310bhp straight six in a 1450kg car or 420bhp V8 in a 1600kg car? I just don't see how that's an improvement regardless of the figures you'll be spending more on tyres/pads/discs and (probably) pulling similar or lower Gs through corners? And there's nothing wrong with six cylinders - the 3.8 911 or VQ38 being cases in point.

Kev, I'd have the GTS and money; over the boggo 911. Engine in a better place, lighter, sounds better.

Drive the new M3 (M4) and you realise how weak the V8 M3 is until you really rev it.

Even then it is down on bhp from idle to red line.

• Like 1

Porsches unreliable? Well I had a 2003 996 turbo that had seen 6 previous owners and had 103,000 miles on the clock when I bought it.

The owner two back from me had remapped it mildly to around 550 bhp.

An independent dealer serviced it for me and other than a litre of oil every 1500 miles I had no issues in 12,000 miles hard use.

I put 16,000 miles on my Cayman S with no bother.

Dynamic Turtle. You like the M3 CSL then I would guess?

I had a 53 plate with air con but no other options.

Call me mad but I hated the massive intake drone from the huge carbon air box after a while.

Fun when going for it, pretty quick if peaky.

But every small overtake meant a loud noise that everyone looked round at.

Overpriced too.

Porsches unreliable? Well I had a 2003 996 turbo that had seen 6 previous owners and had 103,000 miles on the clock when I bought it.

An independent dealer serviced it for me and other than a litre of oil every 1500 miles I had no issues in 12,000 miles hard use.

The 996TT is a Mezger unit and supposedly hardier than its NA equivalent.

Well done re the Cayman - the issue with reliability is that they don't seem to go "slightly wrong" - when they go it's a catastrophic £8-10k bill sort of thing. I'm amazed the scored bore issue is still with us on the gen 2s

Dynamic Turtle. You like the M3 CSL then I would guess?

I had a 53 plate with air con but no other options.

Call me mad but I hated the massive intake drone from the huge carbon air box after a while.

Fun when going for it, pretty quick if peaky.

But every small overtake meant a loud noise that everyone looked round at.

Overpriced too.

The CSL is a focused track weapon rather than a grand tourer so that's to be expected, no? I don't think I'd want to do a Eurotour in one either, nor anything with massive amounts of supercharge whine (like my friend's epic but deafening exige 320s!).

re the BMWs - 310bhp straight six in a 1450kg car or 420bhp V8 in a 1600kg car? I just don't see how that's an improvement regardless of the figures you'll be spending more on tyres/pads/discs and (probably) pulling similar or lower Gs through corners? And there's nothing wrong with six cylinders - the 3.8 911 or VQ38 being cases in point.

How about 450nm of torque from 1300rpm and an 8 speed gearbox to make the most of it as well. The suspension is next generation (like the new Cayman) as well, its insane the amount of grip you get alongside good feedback and excellent turn in, things have moved on from just comparing numbers.

PDK and the Bimmer box are the first auto's Ive driven that are an noticeable improvement on the manual box even without their intelligence, I dont think anyone will be driving stick in 10 years time TBH.

• Like 1

Well done re the Cayman - the issue with reliability is that they don't seem to go "slightly wrong" - when they go it's a catastrophic £8-10k bill sort of thing. I'm amazed the scored bore issue is still with us on the gen 2s

Youre talking about the same thing in the first bit dude, the 3.4 engine in the 996 and the Cayman was susceptible to intermediate shaft failure which was catastrophic, about 5% die from it. The Metzger engines in the Turbot and the GT's didnt have the same issue.

Ive personally known two 996 owners need new engines due to bore issues and two need gearbox rebuilds as well, and anything on the engine (rear main seal anyone?) i2 £500 in labour to get to as well. I dont think they are unreliable, but like you say when they go wrong, they go expensive wrong. :surrender:

Are all gen 2's suffering bore scoring, or just early 2.9's?

Not looked at porsches for a while, as a decent gen 2 997 pdk is out of my price range.

• 2 weeks later...

40 years after my first car, 115 cars to date, I have come to the conclusion that most of the time you get what you pay for with a car. Yes, some plummet in value quickly, so are best bought 2 or 3 years old, but generally the rule works. Pay more, get a better motor. Now and then though I see a car and I think, how is that so cheap and why are they worth so little used?

My 370Z is the latest car to qualify as under-rated, under-priced.

For this car in basic trim to be just £30K is amazing. Even speccd highly as mine is, it's just £36K.

IMHO that is a steal. A great looking muscular GT with a big, brawny 3.7 V6, priced alongside and even below many 4-pot hatchbacks.

I saw an immaculate 370Z last week for £14,000 on an 09 plate. I have seen 09 Minis for that!

Like the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, a real bargain.

Agreed its a bargain at 30k as it is but as used 09 models they are a absolute steal for the money.

Can't think of another car as stylish and as sporty for less especially only being 5yrs old.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you there, I have just put £150 in super plus for a sunday blast with some car nut mates in north wales and it was worth every penny. :thumbs:

Can you get £150 in the tank?

Not that I would ever want to!

yeah in £1.00 coins.. ;):D

I agree with you there, I have just put £150 in super plus for a sunday blast with some car nut mates in north wales and it was worth every penny. :thumbs:

Can you get £150 in the tank?

Not that I would ever want to!

I'd be surprised (unless petrol is extremely expensive in his area!) as I put in £92 the other day and I was nearly empty (3 lights still lit up), I doubt very much I could've got another £60's worth in, £20 maybe