370Z. One of motoring's bargain buys.

Peak 370

40 years after my first car, 115 cars to date, I have come to the conclusion that most of the time you get what you pay for with a car. Yes, some plummet in value quickly, so are best bought 2 or 3 years old, but generally the rule works. Pay more, get a better motor. Now and then though I see a car and I think, how is that so cheap and why are they worth so little used?

My 370Z is the latest car to qualify as under-rated, under-priced.

For this car in basic trim to be just £30K is amazing. Even speccd highly as mine is, it's just £36K.

IMHO that is a steal. A great looking muscular GT with a big, brawny 3.7 V6, priced alongside and even below many 4-pot hatchbacks.

I saw an immaculate 370Z last week for £14,000 on an 09 plate. I have seen 09 Minis for that!

Like the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, a real bargain.

• Like 4

Agree with you. If Nissan had never made this car and this exact shape and style had ''Ferrari'' on the back and perhaps a higher-revving 400bhp version of the engine, it would be £90,000 and adored by all.

I dont see that as a massive bargain TBH, Z4's, R32's, S3's and 335's etc all seem to be getting similar money for a similar age and they are all a lot more mainstream. A 350Z for under £5K is crazy cheap though, still cant get over that.

And Ferraris depreciate quicker than 370's do, a 08 612 Scaglietti can be had for 35% of what it originally cost and even an 08 F430 has lost 60%, the 370 is still retaining 50% or so. The best deals are on huge petrol luxury cars, Range Rovers, 750's and the like, its very tempting to pick up a 5 year old 100+K car for 30% or less of its original price.

You cannot get anything German for the same price with same age, mileage and spec as the 70 on the used market.

So fully agree it's a bargain. I like it how's there isn't many on the road so let's keep it hush hey ;)

Edited by 370Ad
  • Like 1

You cannot get anything German for the same price with same age, mileage and spec as the 70 on the used market.

And performance otherwise theres millions of 320d and A4's for that money ;)

However, theres also a few Z4's, M135i's and the odd 335i, Audi S3's, 3.2 TT's and even an S5 and a few SLK350's ........... theres even a Cayman on PH for £14.5K, all with fairly low miles, all on 08/09 plates and all under 15K.

I cant think of anything you can buy that matches up with a 350 for 4K though ;)

Edited by docwra

At the risk of becoming the most hated man on this forum I personally feel that the rarity of the 370 gives it an additional wow factor that you don't quite get with the 350 or with some of the more common competitors mentioned above. I quite regularly see 350s but almost never see 370s. That's not to say I don't like the 350 and I agree that they represent very good value for money.

And before anyone has a pop at me - remember that someone on the 350 part of the forum recently started a thread to point out just how much he disliked the 370 Nismo ;)

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

For a brand new 370 to be the same price as a specd 227 bhp Golf is incredible value.

To get a mint one owner car 5 years old for £14K is fantastic.

We aren't talking about a company rep mobile, like many cars mentioned, we are talking proper big engine GT/muscle car.

Give it an Audi badge and it'd be £50K new.

PS SOME Ferarris lose money, not all, same for Lambos.

I know 2 people with an Enzo and a Diablo. Both have made loads on them.

Some cars with big miles can be amazing buys, agreed.

My best buy was a 140,000 mile Bentley Flying Spur twin turbo W12 6 litre saloon.

New it was £130,000 and I paid £29K for it. No tax or MOT but what a buy.

I don't think running costs are high at all, Fair enough the tax is high (but all newish performance cars are nowadays) but servicing is cheap for a high performance car, Mine is doing 28-ish mpg and my insurance has just come in at £154 for the year, Not bad for a nearly new nismo of which I don't think I will ever see another one on normal road use, So quite special in my opinion and hopefully hold it's price a bit better than some performance cars :)

Edited by api330
  • Like 2

I don't think running costs are high at all, Fair enough the tax is high but servicing is cheap for a high performance car, Mine is doing 28-ish mpg and my insurance has just come in at £154 for the year, Not bad for a nearly new nismo of which I don't think I will ever see another one on normal road use, So quite special in my opinion :)

Running costs not high? Tyres, fuel, 9k service intervals, brakes? And that insurance sounds extremely cheap compared to the norm.

• Like 1

You have to put all that stuff in all cars including performance cars, Its 9000 or a year so mine will be yearly as most perforamce cars are and that was the cheapest insurance the most expensive was only about £260 and lots in between the two,

You have to put all that stuff in all cars including performance cars, Its 9000 or a year so mine will be yearly as most perforamce cars are and that was the cheapest insurance the most expensive was only about £260 and lots in between the two,

I guess we agree to disagree, I consider the running costs of the zed to be high, but I made that choice years back and I'm happy to pay that. Some people like golf, sailing, poker, expensive wines. I like to jump in the car, fill her up, find some glorious roads and use up some of that rubber.

• Like 1

I agree with you there, I have just put £150 in super plus for a sunday blast with some car nut mates in north wales and it was worth every penny. :thumbs:

I agree with you there, I have just put £150 in super plus for a sunday blast with some car nut mates in north wales and it was worth every penny. :thumbs:

I don't think running costs are high at all, Fair enough the tax is high but servicing is cheap for a high performance car, Mine is doing 28-ish mpg and my insurance has just come in at £154 for the year, Not bad for a nearly new nismo of which I don't think I will ever see another one on normal road use, So quite special in my opinion :)

Running costs not high? Tyres, fuel, 9k service intervals, brakes? And that insurance sounds extremely cheap compared to the norm.

Running costs on mine have been pretty low. Filled it up twice in three months. Insurance just over £200. An advantage of buying new is no nasty unexpected running costs for a year or two.

I do play golf though which cost me a lot more than running the Z. :scare:

Some cars with big miles can be amazing buys, agreed.

My best buy was a 140,000 mile Bentley Flying Spur twin turbo W12 6 litre saloon.

New it was £130,000 and I paid £29K for it. No tax or MOT but what a buy.

Nice! Any pics?..

Yeah I wouldn't agree running costs are low. I don't think you notice if its not your daily.

With my new job I am doing 15k a year, then with personal miles on top the 70 will be doing at least 20k this year.

So yeah could save a lot of money buying a diesel golf but whats the fun in that hey!

And performance otherwise theres millions of 320d and A4's for that money ;)

However, theres also a few Z4's, M135i's and the odd 335i, Audi S3's, 3.2 TT's and even an S5 and a few SLK350's ........... theres even a Cayman on PH for £14.5K, all with fairly low miles, all on 08/09 plates and all under 15K.

I cant think of anything you can buy that matches up with a 350 for 4K though ;)

http://tinyurl.com/njklhnn

PH Classifieds - 2009+ - Cheapest Cayman is 20k with 90k miles!

I get what your saying about the 50 but there really isn't anything that matches the 70 as an overall package without adding another 5k.

I only got mine in march and test drove everything!

Edited by 370Ad

theres even a Cayman on PH for £14.5K' date=' all with fairly low miles, all on 08/09 plates and all under 15K.[/quote']

Im pretty sure I said 08 ........ http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-24v-------------------2008/2427947 its only got 45K miles too ;)

Its great that you rate your car so much, but for me theres actually quite a lot available for similar money thats a similar package, the SLK 350, 3.2 TT and arguably the M135i are all direct competitors ........ OK, they might be a bit softer or slightly less well equipped but they might also be a bit more economical, have a couple of extra seats or have a better image to Joe Bloggs.

The 370 is a bargain for sure, but so are most of the other big petrol engine 2/2+2 cars out there, its a market thing more than an individual model thing IMO.

I like 370's but if you drove one straight after driving a cayman s (post 09), i think most would be dissapointed.

The cayman s is a much, much better car. Especially with a PDK box.

I prefer the 370's exterior looks though, then again Porsche interior is much nicer.

Best performance bargain IMO is the E92 M3.

• Like 1

Then again there's the price comparison thing with the Cayman - if Nissan manufactured a "400z" with an RRP of £50k I'm sure it would be as good as a Cayman. And if auto/paddles is your scene then you might as well be playing Forza.

Isn't the E92 exactly the same as an E36 but in a much heavier and more expensive package? ;)